The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody know anything about this hoof boot?

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...d50&ccd=ifh003

Called the 'natural hoof shoe'....looks kinda sorta like a horse moc, but less expensive.

My little guy might need boots if hubby is riding him, and I would like to carry something in case my mare gets into rocky going....but most boots are kinda big to 'carry'.

Will be in the Pacific North Wet - so lots of wet grass and mud, too.

???

I have used this in a pinch for lost a shoe and it works reasonably well for that. I have only gotten maybe 2-3 uses before it is trashed so it is not very hardy.

I guess if you are looking for something light weight to use sparingly it might be OK.

I now use a Cavello boot when we lose a shoe, much sturdier and more cost effective because it lasts.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Those are not meant for riding. They are for therapeutic purposes only: lost shoe until farrier returns, bruised sole, etc.

Poke your nose into the Trail/Endurance forum and search for "hoof boots." You'll get lotsa past threads with good recommendations.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

If you look at the www.easycareinc.com website, they will give you some information about different kinds of boots. I use an Easy Care Rx boot for lost shoes when my horse is turned out and not being ridden. I use Boa Boots if I am riding him and he has lost a shoe. Certain hoof sizes and shapes will not fit into all boots.