The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter Pace Question - Length?

Using my alter again - hee hee. For those of you who partake, how long are the hunter paces you enter? Many many years ago I went to one and it was at least 5 miles and took about 1-1/2 hours to complete.

Recently a local group has been putting them on in early spring and I've gone to both they've had so far. However, they take about 10 minutes to complete. I was all excited when they first started and thought it would be similar and couldn't believe when I was back in 9 minutes - give or take. Pretty quick way to dump $25 for the entry.

Seemed ridiculously short but is this about normal? Have things changed that much?

In Virginia they tend to be about 3 miles or so - over fair hunting country.

I haven't heard of any that would only be nine minutes long. Are they hunter paces put on my MFHA recognized hunts? A small course like that sounds more like a XC course at a horse trial. Not a pairs race.

You might want to pose your question in the hunting forum.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

This is put on by a local horse group, not affilitated with any recognized hunt. Mostly they do dressage/driving shows clinics and fun days with some eventing thrown in with one USEA recognized event a year.

Ya, I'll cross post to Hunting, probably get more responses there.

I've done two, and I think the hunter division was about an hour and 20 minutes, optimal time, and the trail rider division was closer to two hours.

Well, I think you have your answer. It's not a real hunter pace.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I would feel really ripped off to pay that and get a ride that short. The closest hunt club to us has various lengths of rides. The shortest one is about 4-5 miles. The longer ones are 10-15 miles. The cost is the same.

I go to a hunter pace put on by a friends hunt club that she belongs to. It is about 4 miles. I don't aim for speed, just go to support the club for my friend. I always meet some nice people and the lunch included is always nice afterwards.

Talking

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the EI event at the WA State Horse Park, right? I feel like I can name the event, as I am the show organizer. This is the first time I've organized one of EI's events with the Hunter Pace, though I'm somewhat familiar with what's been done in the past.

I'm not sure exactly how long the course for this year will be, but you bring up a very good point. I'm glad I encountered this post so I can discuss it with our planning team.

I can tell you, though, that the primary purpose of this event is the Combined Test and an opportunity to school a nice jump course. The Hunter Pace has been viewed as an extra opportunity for folks to get their horses out of the arena and over some jumps on the trail.

I like the idea of offering a discount for your second (or third) ride. Perhaps we need to think about offering a longer, more technical course for those who are interested. No matter what happens, I do think we ought to be clear about what our Hunter Pace does (or does not) contain.

For those of you who have concerns like this, please contact the show organizers with your questions. It is very helpful to hear what people want and will help to make events better for everyone.

Now for a little PR... EI Eventing is striving to offer more ways for folks in the PNW to be involved in eventing at all skill levels. This year we will be holding three Combined Tests, two at the horse park and one at Polestar Farm. Next year we expect to be back to at least one USEA recognized event.

Club in my aaarea puts on a spring and fall hunter pace of 10 miles, optimal time 1 hour 10 minutes for leisurely but moderate progress (trotting mostly and some and walking) and 1 hour 2 mins for 'advance' with trot/canter/taking the jumps.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

The hunter paces I've gone to in Georgia are usually 7-8 miles. The Shakerag Hounds put one on every year in the Fall and a local farm puts one on twice a year in Spring and Fall.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.