The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    5,179

    Default Casting call: Full Metal Jousting. Are you brave enough?

    http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/jousting/


    HISTORY and the producers of Top Shot and The Ultimate Fighter are looking for America’s toughest and bravest for their new competition series Full Metal Jousting. Yes, we said JOUSTING. If you are a skilled horseback rider and have the heart of a warrior, then you might have what it takes to become America’s first Full Metal Jouster and win the $100,000 grand prize.

    This hard-hitting competition will recreate the raw, crushing force of hardcore jousting battles by arming 16 fierce competitors with lances, armor and a 2,000-pound war horse — all charging through an arena with one goal in mind… to become champion.

    You don’t need to be an experienced jouster, but you DO need strength, determination and the desire to win.

    We teach you how to joust. You crush the competition.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 26, 2010
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    2,947

    Default

    I don't think $100K would cover all the medical bills, would it??

    Actually, it bothers me about using the horses for this shite.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 1, 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    12,181

    Default

    I don't understand how people can afford to take a month long vacation for these shows or expect to have a job when they get back. I could go on leave, but who's going to pay my bills?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Jingle Town
    Posts
    35,058

    Default

    considering that people used to actually die during jousts, I think I pass...

    Then again, I don't bounce well, never did...and I don't think I am good enough (at just about anything) to not fall at least once...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    691

    Default

    The crazy part of me is so, so tempted...

    But then I have to request PTO to go jousting, and explain where I was when I get back, why I have 6 broken bones, and why I ever thought this was a good idea... and I don't think I'd be able to answer that last one.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    5,179

    Default

    I know there are very strict guidelines in place when using animals for television or movies, but I wonder if they will be able to find good people/riders.

    I would hate to do the casting for a show like this, no doubt they'll get all kinds of interesting characters, including many who claim they can actually ride well enough.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Jingle Town
    Posts
    35,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    I know there are very strict guidelines in place when using animals for television or movies, but I wonder if they will be able to find good people/riders.

    I would hate to do the casting for a show like this, no doubt they'll get all kinds of interesting characters, including many who claim they can actually ride well enough.

    Deep in the recesses of my mind I think they had something similar before. But I only caught it in passing, so I can't say for sure how to google for it.

    They certainly put the riders through their paces, it was far from a walk in the park...

    but this should be interesting...there are a bunch of people out there that already joust, just for fun (not even counting the dinner and a joust pros)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 14, 2010
    Location
    Earlysville, Virginia
    Posts
    3,286

    Default

    $100,000 is tempting. But not tempting enough to get freaking JOUSTED for.

    Interesting that they supply you with a 2,000lb war horse. I wonder what breed they are...and how much time you get to ride them before you have to joust...ugh. This wont end well.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

    Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Jingle Town
    Posts
    35,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    $100,000 is tempting. But not tempting enough to get freaking JOUSTED for.

    Interesting that they supply you with a 2,000lb war horse. I wonder what breed they are...and how much time you get to ride them before you have to joust...ugh. This wont end well.

    guessing percheron, frisian, along that line...or crosses there of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    I know there is a farm somewhere that breeds horses for jousting (I think they were percherons) - I remember seeing a video, they are gorgeous.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2000
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    7,672

    Default

    Third time this topic has been posted here in the last two weeks.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    In Jingle Town
    Posts
    35,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Third time this topic has been posted here in the last two weeks.

    It has?

    I missed it both previous times then....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    5,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Third time this topic has been posted here in the last two weeks.
    Didn't realize it and didn't know anyone was counting.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    $100,000 is tempting. But not tempting enough to get freaking JOUSTED for.

    Interesting that they supply you with a 2,000lb war horse. I wonder what breed they are...and how much time you get to ride them before you have to joust...ugh. This wont end well.
    According to a member of the Seattle Knights, the list will be closed. So people won't have to actually ride very well and the horses shouldn't get yanked around as much.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 28, 2000
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    7,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Didn't realize it and didn't know anyone was counting.
    If it gets to four, I'll let you know.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2006
    Location
    Gulf Coast (AL/FL)
    Posts
    418

    Default

    If I thought my DH could handle both the horses & our 2 y.o daughter by himself for a month in Oct/Nov then I would actually consider applying for the heck of it being a fun experience & challenge. But since there is no way he or I would care to go a month with /no/ contact not going to happen. Heck he's been gone 32 days - but we've talked 3 - 4 times a day via cellphone & nightly on skype....and he's heading home today (finally!).
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar. 31, 2011
    Posts
    93

    Default

    I'm happy to see that they're expecting applicants to already be "reasonably proficient at horseback riding"; I can't imagine what a cluster it'd be if they had to teach folks to ride in that short time as well as joust. But then, this is reality TV we're talking about, so it wouldn't be that surprising. I wonder which brave insurance company is underwriting this one?

    'plash



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 20, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    Oh my God....



    I soooo wanna do this ! But, can you joust in glasses ?? I don't think so. And my stutter is not going to do them too much good in a TV show. I think it would be fun to try a jousting competition. But I know there is a small population of people who do it already. I think most people on the show will have had some experience already.



  19. #19

    Default I NEED to be on this show. I have been riding horsess and rough stock my whole life.I

    I need to be on this show. I have been riding horses and rough stock all of my life this would be a dream come true Someone SIGN me up!!!!!!!this is Now at the top of my Bucket list!

    Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/jousting/


    HISTORY and the producers of Top Shot and The Ultimate Fighter are looking for America’s toughest and bravest for their new competition series Full Metal Jousting. Yes, we said JOUSTING. If you are a skilled horseback rider and have the heart of a warrior, then you might have what it takes to become America’s first Full Metal Jouster and win the $100,000 grand prize.

    This hard-hitting competition will recreate the raw, crushing force of hardcore jousting battles by arming 16 fierce competitors with lances, armor and a 2,000-pound war horse — all charging through an arena with one goal in mind… to become champion.

    You don’t need to be an experienced jouster, but you DO need strength, determination and the desire to win.

    We teach you how to joust. You crush the competition.



  20. #20

    Default

    I reallly need to be on this show someone tell me how to get there I will be there tomarrow... Bring on the pain and let me lay the hammer down on everyone else just get me there



Similar Threads

  1. "Full Metal Jousting" Premiere Tonight
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: Sep. 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
  2. Full Metal Jousting?
    By Keepthepeace in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 5, 2012, 10:56 PM
  3. Full Metal Jousting
    By MHM in forum Off Course
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb. 20, 2012, 12:00 AM
  4. Full Metal Jousting - the Second reality show 12 Feb 12
    By Roomfor2 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb. 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
  5. Full Metal Jousting?
    By Velvet in forum Off Course
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jun. 24, 2011, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness