The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone know where "Grassy" went?

He was sold at the Keeneland beeding stock sale last Nov., and maybe he's gone to stud somewhere?
    He's been in the back of my mind ever since I saw him breeze in a video somewhere; he kept leaping in the air as he ran. Still makes me smile when I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayusepapoose View Post
    He was sold at the Keeneland beeding stock sale last Nov., and maybe he's gone to stud somewhere?
    He's been in the back of my mind ever since I saw him breeze in a video somewhere; he kept leaping in the air as he ran. Still makes me smile when I think of it.
    How was he leaping in the air while breezing? He was bucking? Jumping shadows?
    Is there a link to a video of the breeze?

'Jumping at shadows' pretty aptly describes how he was moving but I think he was just excited; he had both ears forward and if I remember correctly he was just being cued to give a bit more than a jog, then more than a gallop, etc. I have looked and looked; can't for the life of me find that video. He looked like he was thoroughly enjoying himself though. I sure hope that wherever he is that life is good to him.

Funny I just looked him up yesterday to see if he had worked since the sale, he hadn't. I heard he went to a guy in southern cal that was planning to run him. We went and looked at him in the sale and I fell in love, talk about a drop dead gorgeous horse and gry to boot.

I will try to remember to ask next time I talk to my boss' agent, im sure he would know. I know they were in on the bidding for him for a bit.

Oh, I love Grassy. He's in my virtual stable. Any news, Jenny?

Grassy went to Marty Jones in CA according to a Keeneland press release...a bit more:

"Bloodstock agent Steve Young purchased both Hailstone and 2011 Bowling Green Handicap (G2) winner Grassy, who brought the day’s second-highest price of $220,000.

Young, who bought the horses for two different clients, said Hailstone will be shipped to trainer Bobby Ribaudo in New York while Grassy will go to Marty Jones in California.

“Both are ready-made stakes horses and both appear to have more run to them,” he said.

Hailstone, a four-year-old son of City Zip, finished second in the 2011 Connaught Cup (G2) and third in the Nijinsky Stakes (G2) and Sky Classic (G2), all at Woodbine. In addition to multiple graded stakes winner Court Vision, the colt is a half-brother to stakes winners Smart Surprise, Lord Snowden and Garcia Marquez. He was consigned by Lane’s End, agent.

Grassy, winner of the 2010 Red Smith Handicap (G2) in addition to the Bowling Green, is a five-year-old horse by El Prado (IRE). Consigned by Claiborne Farm, agent, Grassy is a half-brother to English stakes winners Lady in Waiting and Savannah Bay. ......"

Hope he is doing well...I wonder what the plans are...!

Grassy earned some fame before becoming a stakes horse for this exciting win. I was there that they and it's still memorable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz-HKPYAB3E

(BTW, eventers, Hammock, the pace setter is one of the best looking sport prospects in NY!)
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Thanks for your info, everybody. And that was quite the race Linny;a great outcome for such a scary break from the gate.
    He's six this year; I guess I was hoping that he'd gone to stud somewhere. Maybe there's a plan to do that anyway in the future.

Any West Coast folks who might be able to find out? Also interested.

Default He's here...

He's at our farm here in S. Cali, just came out for a break and is now legging up on the track since this week. He is a wonderful boy, and a carrot eating machine! Looks good and happy, I believe they are planning on bringing him back if he continues to train well.
    Forward is good

Thanks Summerly, a tad bit jealous of your eye candy

OH, I'M SOOO GLAD TO HEAR IT! And thanks for posting this; I'd worked myself up pretty good over not being able to track down any news of him and was almost going to pester Marty Jones by phone...my only connection to racing are my own off track TBs that are also a pair of carrot-eating machines.
    I think the first I saw of Grassy was a video on the Claiborne Farm site; he looked like a big, happy pup chasing after a frisbie as he leapt into the air while he was galloping. One of mine is By Arch and so I read about his 'relatives' in their news sometimes.
    Please give him a scritch and a carrot for me and thanks again for letting us know he's well and happy!

Yeah Gee Whiz; pretty nice wee place for eating carrots and havin' a break!

Talking Eye candy indeed!

Ha ha eye candy for sure! We run a OTTB retraining program also and every single person that comes to try/look at a prospect asks about him! He is a super guy, is very loved and spoiled here, as all our horses, and is doing great! He is in great hands with M Jones, a family friend and a superb horsemen! I have no fears this horse will be more then adequately taken care for the rest of his career and afterwards, and I intend to see to it as best a I can! I wish i could/knew how to post some pics on here!
    Last edited by summerly; Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: sp
    Forward is good

Summerly -- just post the link the same way you posted Oakmont Ranch.com
    Thanks in advance!

If you have the pix in FB or photobucket -- you can post the links. FB needs to have all the privacy restrictions turned off for the photos to be available.

Thank you for the update and lovely link. What a nice facility!

Grassy runs in about 40 minutes at Delmar today in the 8 race. My heart will be
    tied to your tail, you grey beastie. Very best of luck and stay safe!

How did he do?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Grass finished 5th.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Grassy's "nephew" named Lea won a race at Saratoga on Thursday. He's out of Greenery, a sister to Grassy. Looks like Lea is a stakes bound colt for Al Stall and the Claiborne/Dilschneider team.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique