The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Well, you could have said yes and quoted her a hefty sum to use your farm as a location! ($1,000 +)
    I admit that DID cross my mind!!!! I'll probably use that line next time, since this is the SECOND photographer in less than a year to try and use our property for photo shoots. The first girl brought her dogs (without permission.....my dog DID NOT appreciate it) and hung around so long my poor dog's bladder was about to burst....I couldn't let him out in MY OWN yard, as her dogs were still here! And to top it all off? i never even got a thank you......

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred in Color View Post
    I'm all for beating first, ambulance later, but I'm involved in emergency medicine. According to Oregon law I would be obligated to help the jackass after beating him to the previously described pulp.
    Could you stop the beating just short of injury sufficient to reuire your action?
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    I haven't had a lot of problems with trespassing (knock wood) but sometimes have a car stop in front of my house and have had them pull in my driveway and sit. I generally assume that, because my house is the last one before a series of sharp curves that they probably stop to finish a phone conversation. However, when I notice it, I walk out into the yard where I can be seen and take my dogs (who always bark) with me. About a year and a half ago, this happened a couple of times in close succession. A month or so later, there was a robbery around the corner and one down a nearby street. I still wonder if my attention to the car sitting in front of my house (and my wonderful dogs) might have helped deter my house from being hit. If it happens again (and it hasn't for a while), you can bet I'll be writing down details about the car. Oh, and observant neighbors and a camera in a driveway resulted in the arrest of the robbers.
    That's me - the neighborhood "nosey parker". I'm forever going to the door and looking out to see why someone's slowing down/parked in front of my house. We have a ton of deer around here, and often folks will slow down or stop just to look at them. They don't bother me. It's the ones sitting in their vehicles with the vehicle turned off, obviously writing/calling/doing something that involves addresses and house numbers. That sends my Spidey Sense into overdrive, and I've been known to circle the block and pass them again s l o w l y, looking inquisitively into their vehicle, or ostentatiously taking down their license plates. Am I paranoid? Perhaps. I don't care. There have been robberies/break ins in this neighborhood, and I wasn't a victim. I'm keeping it that way if at all possible.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

In my neighborhood, we take photos with our cell phones.

In my neighborhood, the police have told us to call them if we see anything suspicious. They said if anyone is "hit" there are usually several trials made first, to see when people are home or what they do with suspicious cars. It helps if there have been 'sightings' reported a few days prior to the hit, they can follow the leads.

There really is no excuse for not calling the police if someone pulls into your driveway. You shouldn't be trying to decide what they are doing - they might be casing the negihborhood.

We even had someone ringing doorbells at 2 am to see if lights turn on. The houses where they didn't were 'hit' in the next few days. I live in a summer beach house community, and we don't tend to lock our doors or be suspicious.

There's really no reason to allow your property to be violated especially if you have animals and children. If you don't report it, its hard to go after the fact to the police and say "Oh, well, there was a suspicious car a month ago..."
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

We actually have a fairly good neighborhood watch network. Not a formal one, but if anything untoward/suspicious happens, the HOA sends out an e-mail to all residents as a warning. I'm convinced that that's helped keep our neighborhood as safe as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Would it be rude to wait until after you beat him to a pulp to call the ambulance or does etiquette dictate in rural areas that one call the ambulance first, then beat the snot out of trespassing idiots?
    Like in "Sling Blade", I'll "call the cops, or a hearst, [sic] depending..."
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Wink

"What numbers do ye put in?"

One of my all time favorite movies. BBT is a genius. A certified whackadoo, but a genius, nonetheless.

"Tell them to send a hearst if you're goin to kill me"

Our shop was hit a few times in the past. I had my 3/4 ton truck stolen and trashed, DH had his brand new welder stolen, some other odds and ends like hand tools and such. We installed an alarm and DH posted a sign like:

"Tresspassers will be shot and survivors shot again" or some such. Haven't had any problems since.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Then there is my favorite (from someone on COTH):

Trespassers will be violated.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I have about 10 good sized dogs on my place at any given time and my husband and I are both police officers so we dont have much problems with this sort of thing. We also have perimeter fencing and keep the gates locked.

BUt we do have a sign that reads "Dog on premises". I figure if someone is thinking about taking their chances they can interpret it however they want to

I swear I have seen a sign that said my rottwieller can make it the fence in 3 seconds-Can you?

Would post those in a second!!!

I had a friend who had people come into her field to pet the horses and feed them even with her no trespassing signs up around her fence and property.

So she found a really mean and nasty donkey that would charge anyone who came into his field- Braying as he was chasing the perps. Problem solved! Would have loved to have seen that!

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    You need a sign that reads
    "No Trespassing, Survivors will be Prosecuted"
    When I was a kid there was a property near me that said that and we were terrified to go near that place.
    There was one similar out in the then boonies that always creaped me out.

It said
    Hell is not full yet, enter if you want to help fill it up.

The house was like something you'd see in a horror movie...old falling down and rickety with about a million keep out and no tresspassing signs.

I have the "my australian shepherd can make it to the fence...." I forget how many seconds. You can buy the signs at dog shows, like the Atlanta Kennel Club shows.

Never had to post it. The burglars and trespassers know who has dogs, who works where, etc. Never burgled in Atlanta in over 20 yrs because defendants knew me.

My judge once sat down at our breakfast table in the courthouse cafe and asked me if I'd ever seen a sign that said "prosecutors will be violated." Talk about

OP, people know whom they can walk over and whom they will be prosecuted by for trespassing. Become one of the prosecutors. (and don't be violated.)

Quote Originally Posted by piaffequeen View Post
    I swear I have seen a sign that said my rottwieller can make it the fence in 3 seconds-Can you?

Would post those in a second!!!

I had a friend who had people come into her field to pet the horses and feed them even with her no trespassing signs up around her fence and property.

So she found a really mean and nasty donkey that would charge anyone who came into his field- Braying as he was chasing the perps. Problem solved! Would have loved to have seen that!

I think i have sen those kind of signs with a bull being mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.