The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Conformation Clinic! UPDATED: With Videos!

This is a 7yr old Appendix QH Gelding I've been training for the owners. Just would like to find out what the all-knowing COTH members think of him?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...te/Topper2.jpg
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/RxCate/Topper.jpg
    Last edited by RxCate; Mar. 28, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Really? 63 people have looked at this and not one has an opinion?

I find that hard to believe on this BB.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post

Well, I tried to look but photobucket is blocked on my work machine, so I couldn't see the pictures

Boo
    Friend of bar.ka!

How does he "move"?

The biggest thing that jumps out at me is that all of his angles are on the "upright" side. Pasterns, shoulder, hind end, etc. I don't love his back or his back end.

He has a nice expression though--he's very cute. What are you doing with him?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

The owner has not sent me the videos of his lunging or my riding him from last weekend. As soon as she does I will update the thread.

She bought him to be a trail horse, but he turned out to be far greener than advertised. He sat in a pasture for 2 yrs, did go to a trainer for 2 weeks and was being basically re-broke by a girl in college before I came along.

I just got to know him and lunged him for the first couple of weeks I met him, and then threw my western saddle on him (he didn't care), mounted (didn't move a muscle) and away we went with no issues.

From that point on I've been lunging before I ride him to get any spunk out and just basically working on flat-work, re-establishing his aids and his "whoa." Recently we've started doing lots of transition work, trotting over cavaletti and I popped him over a low cross-rail just to see what he'd do (didn't even bat an eye).

I've also been train riding him here and there to get him used to leaving the farm/seeing new horses/new places. He has his green moments where he's a little "lookey" say if a buzzard flies up out of nowhere, but has not tried to jump out of his skin, per se. He just stops dead and stares it down and then we move on. I try to treat these as no big deal and praise when we move on quietly, or walk him right up to whatever it was he was looking at.

I foresee him as being a local jumper type or foxhunter/trail horse. He has a GREAT mind on him. Picks up what he's learning almost immediately and loves to work.
    Friend of bar.ka!

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    The biggest thing that jumps out at me is that all of his angles are on the "upright" side. Pasterns, shoulder, hind end, etc. I don't love his back or his back end.

That is what I noticed as well as his short hind end and rather long back and neck. He is butt high as well.

^^^this. I agree, back and hindquarters aren't what i'd like.
    Sweet face!

He has a nice expression though--he's very cute.?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarrx View Post
    That is what I noticed as well as his short hind end and rather long back and neck. He is butt high as well.
    This.

Yeah it's weird how he is butt high. I actually thought he had a short back! He is paperless so other than knowing he's an Appendix QH, I have no idea of his lineage.

He has no problems moving out, we are working on collection, but definitely don't have it down pat.

And I should clarify after the initial riding western, we've switched to exclusively english.

So far his angles have not really inhibited him and I don't think will harm his chances of being a local trail/jumper. He's a VERY easy keeper, and is barefoot.

We've all seen horses with less than perfect conformation go on to make nice jumpers. I really wanted the wisdom of COTH though and I thank you!

I will post the videos once I get them.
    Friend of bar.ka!

I think he may jump well. He has good legs, good shoulder, and good length of neck. His top line will develop with work over time and his back and loin will fill in. It should be interesting to see what you can do with him! Good luck!

He's kind of standing under himself in the front (not sure what that's called) and his throatlatch seems a little thick? But he's cute. I'd also like to see him move.

(Is his name Topper? We had one of those at my old barn in NY.)
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Yup, Topper

I had a hard time getting him to stand completely still. The neighbors were out working in their yard and that grass was mighty tempting. These were the best shots we could get between his fidgeting.
    Friend of bar.ka!

I have opinions but don't like talking about other peoples' horses unless it's at the owner's request!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I would say he isn’t going to win any conformation classes any time soon. But conformation only gets you so far, heart and talent are what make a good riding horse. Well that and soundness, and he appears to have good legs, I do not see any confo issues that should cause him to not be a riding horse.

That said, he is a box of parts, and I imagine it would be pretty hard for him to collect and drop his rear while elevating his front.

From this photo:

His is shoulder appears fairly steep (
    His neck looks a little low set, under developed (underline muscles more developed then top line), and a bit “ewed” – does he travel with his head high?
    Looks a bit “back at the knee” (aka claf kneed) / tendons tie narrow at the knee
    His back appears a bit long with a very weak loin / hip connection
    His hind quarters are short and steep, not in proportion with the rest of his body
    Looks a little camped out behind, but that may just be the short hind quaters
    He is “down hill”

The GOOD (front to back)
    Love the face, nice big nostrils for air, big kind eye
    Neck ties nicely to the head, nice clean throat latch, good angle
    Neck is a good length in proportion with his back
    Shoulder / elbow tie, good angles, should be able to get the front end up over a jump
    Good “bone” his legs look to have a good amount of substance
    Good pastern angles which connect to equally well angles hooves
    Solid / well angled hocks
    Cannons both front and back and fairly short, low hocks and knees which is good

How is he to fit a saddle on? Being that downhill I would pay special attention to make sure the saddle isn’t causing extra pressure at the back end of the panels.

Over all adorable face, nice kind soft eye, and I am sure he will be a fun project. Just keep in mind that getting his hind end under himself will be difficult for him. So condition him accordingly, and ride sympathetically.

Talking

Thank you so much for that nice, concise reply!

I am planning on taking some of these to the owner to help explain him and how her other horses stand up as she's green herself. She had a pony when she was younger, but she mostly "cowboy'd" around, & trail rode. No formal teaching, though thankfully she is very open to those who she knows have more experience than her.

So, please, don't be afraid to express your opinion!

So far, like I said, I haven't touched too much on collection, more getting him to keep a nice, steady rhythm and working on getting him nice and supple. I always lunge him first to get out any spunk and we do our normal lunge both directions and then I'll setup one cavaletti at each clock point (12/3/6/9) and have him trot around that working on balancing himself, as well as putting a few in a row going over those flat, then elevating a little to really engage those hindquarters/back.

We do lots of spiral circles, making sure he's not dropping that shoulder, serpentine's, cavaletti, figure 8's, just getting him to bend around my leg. I have been working on him giving his head to me as well. I'll just work him at the walk, giving me a nice strong walk and I'll drop stirrups, wrap my legs around him and use my seat to push him up under himself. I'll play with his mouth and as soon as he gives me his face, I release. I do that at a walk around the arena, just working on softening.

At cooldown I make sure to try and get him to stretch his head down and out, and just relax. So basic dressage work for now.

I have him going in a flash bridle (he would root a bit at the canter, but I think that's also in part of him being on the forehand) with a copper roller Dee.

The "arena" is really one of her smaller, squarer pastures and has little hills so we'll go up and down those working on trying to build the back muscles/topline. Unfortunately we're on the eastern shore of MD so we're quite lacking for hills!

He is a VERY good boy, and I wish I was at a point where I could take him myself, if only as a trail horse. He's just FUN.
    Friend of bar.ka!

He appears swayback in the pictures. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post

I looked at the pictures last night, but was too tired and too insecure about my opinions, despite my years of reading Julie Winkel's column in PH.

Love his head and neck.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    He appears swayback in the pictures. Is that not the case?
    Sway back, or goose rump?

I'll say it again, and this time hopefully say it correctly...

Pretty is AS pretty does.