The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1035
  1. #1
    alterbecauseimacoward Guest

    Default paul valliere

    So I've been searching online for stuff about Paul Valliere, because I've been taking a few lessons with him and wanted to know more about this whole horse-killing thing. Of course the Chronicle forums came up in my search, and y'all clearly really hate him. My question for you is: why? I mean, yes, it's terrible that he had a horse electrocuted for the insurance money. But it was a mistake made like 10 years ago. So what exactly is the problem with him?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2006
    Posts
    955

    Default

    I don't tend to forgive easily.
    If that was just a silly little "mistake" in his eyes, then I'm not sure how I'd feel about any of his BIG mistakes...



    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Oh no. I see a train wreck coming.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2004
    Location
    City of delusion in the state of total denial
    Posts
    8,486

    Default

    All I can say is--

    How the hell do you pronounce the man's name?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

    Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG


    1 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    elite Guest

    Default

    you pronounce it like valley air.

    and yeah, i sense that i'm starting a trainwreck. but i'm curious.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 2003
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    6,479

    Default

    It's pronounced "Val-ee-ere"
    And he is scum.
    See if you can find the book "Hot Blood" by Ken Englade. It's an excellent book and spells out the whole thing.
    Sports Illustrated also did an excellent piece at the time.

    Just the fact that you had to create an alter just to ask about him should tell you something. Don't associate with people you aren't proud to be seen with. I wouldn't take any lessons from him, much less give him any money.


    and now a word from our sponsors, Jiffy Pop popcorn and "The Little Engine that could"
    Last edited by Jaegermonster; Sep. 1, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2002
    Posts
    1,012

    Default

    You can't be serious,right? A mistake is forgetting to latch the gate,billing someone the wrong amount,pulling a mane too short,forgetting to add a supplement to a feed,leaving your tack out,sleeping with your employee/employer...etc. Participating in an act of murder for money is not a mistake.It is a crime. In my mind it is cold blooded murder,just as bad as taking a human life,maybe even worse . I can't imagine that to be okay with any horse lover,ever.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 24, 2002
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,457

    Default

    Is he really so good that people just ignore the fact that someday he'll have his own little special place in Hell? I mean really, how does someone, that loves horses, ever get past that? Humans are the only species on the entire planet that kill for sheer greed. He certainly can't be so much of all that, that these idiots that support him can't find someone else to go to.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 2003
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    6,479

    Default

    I have to say I do smell a troll. I don't think PV teaches the up down crowd
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 13, 2007
    Location
    Down on the Farm
    Posts
    3,054

    Default

    Paul came out to my barn when I lived in RI to look at a few of my horses I had for sale... he was a pompass a$$... didnt surprise me in the least to read about him a few years later. What he did was much more than a "mistake", and in my eyes deserves to be banned for LIFE... and I would never, ever, consider giving him a penny of my hard earned money, no matter how good he is deemed to be.

    Thank God he passed on my very nice horses.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 27, 2007
    Posts
    598

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by alterbecauseimacoward View Post
    I mean, yes, it's terrible that he had a horse electrocuted for the insurance money. But it was a mistake made like 10 years ago. So what exactly is the problem with him?

    You are kidding, right?

    Killing a horse for insurance money is not "a mistake." It's

    1) a crime

    2) an act most horse lovers are not likely to forgive in this lifetime

    So you have to ask "what exactly is the problem with him?"

    troll alert?



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 26, 2000
    Posts
    3,651

    Default

    What's the problem?

    it's terrible that he had a horse electrocuted for the insurance money.
    That would about cover it...



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2005
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    A mistake is forgetting to latch the gate,billing someone the wrong amount,pulling a mane too short,forgetting to add a supplement to a feed,leaving your tack out,sleeping with your employee/employer...etc.

    I love what you consider similarly weighted mistakes :-)
    Last edited by platinm; Sep. 1, 2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: edit


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2002
    Location
    Olney
    Posts
    4,405

    Default

    While I have heard from many about the sheer talent the man has I'm not sure I could EVER get past his, um, "mistake" as you put it. Can you imagine what he might do to YOUR horse or dog? I could never support a human being with that capacity for evil.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 20, 2001
    Location
    Colorado, a suburb of Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alterbecauseimacoward View Post
    y'all clearly really hate him. My question for you is: why? I mean, yes, it's terrible that he had a horse electrocuted for the insurance money. But it was a mistake made like 10 years ago. So what exactly is the problem with him?
    ummm....he had a horse electrocuted for money.
    If that isn't enough for you.....may I suggest motocross as a new sport for you where you will not outrage the other participants by destroying your mount.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 3, 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    It's pronounced "Val-ee-ere"
    And he is scum.
    See if you can find the book "Hot Blood" by Ken Schade (I think, but I'm sure I got the last name wrong). It's an excellent book and spells out the whole thing.
    Sports Illustrated also did an excellent piece at the time.

    Just the fact that you had to create an alter just to ask about him should tell you something. Don't associate with people you aren't proud to be seen with. I wouldn't take any lessons from him, much less give him any money.


    and now a word from our sponsors, Jiffy Pop popcorn and "The Little Engine that could"

    The book was written by Ken Englade. I wrote a book report on "Hot Blood" last quarter in ENG-102. Those "people", and I use that term loosely, are truly the scum of the earth.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar. 20, 2001
    Location
    Colorado, a suburb of Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I have to say I do smell a troll. I don't think PV teaches the up down crowd
    You are probably right, but it bears repeating on a regular basis....people seem to have short memories.

    Besides.....we have this big warehouse of popcorn.....



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2000
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    12,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alterbecauseimacoward View Post
    So I've been searching online for stuff about Paul Valliere, because I've been taking a few lessons with him and wanted to know more about this whole horse-killing thing. Of course the Chronicle forums came up in my search, and y'all clearly really hate him. My question for you is: why? I mean, yes, it's terrible that he had a horse electrocuted for the insurance money. But it was a mistake made like 10 years ago. So what exactly is the problem with him?
    No. Electrocuting a horse by mistake is when you are clipping in a wet wash stall. PAying someone to
    electrocute a horse for the insurance money is a lowlife crime.
    It shows a remarkable disregard for the animal that is the basis for one's livelihood.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

    ...just settin' on the Group W bench.



  19. #19
    alterbecauseimacoward Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heineken View Post
    While I have heard from many about the sheer talent the man has I'm not sure I could EVER get past his, um, "mistake" as you put it. Can you imagine what he might do to YOUR horse or dog? I could never support a human being with that capacity for evil.
    He didn't do it to someone else's horse...he did it to his own horse because he was financially struggling. It's not like he runs around with alligator clips killing random horses.

    Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    You can't be serious,right? A mistake is forgetting to latch the gate,billing someone the wrong amount,pulling a mane too short,forgetting to add a supplement to a feed,leaving your tack out,sleeping with your employee/employer...etc. Participating in an act of murder for money is not a mistake.It is a crime. In my mind it is cold blooded murder,just as bad as taking a human life,maybe even worse . I can't imagine that to be okay with any horse lover,ever.
    All of those besides the sleeping with your employee/employer are ACCIDENTS, which are different than MISTAKES.

    From dictionary.com
    Accident: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss
    Mistake: an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov. 26, 2003
    Location
    NE FL
    Posts
    6,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alterbecauseimacoward View Post
    He didn't do it to someone else's horse...he did it to his own horse because he was financially struggling. It's not like he runs around with alligator clips killing random horses.



    All of those besides the sleeping with your employee/employer are ACCIDENTS, which are different than MISTAKES.

    From dictionary.com

    So it's ok to kill your own horse? Who knew?? Give me a break.

    And after I read your definitions for mistake and accident that you so thoughtfully posted for our review, I have come to the conclusion that his behavior fits into neither category. He planned what he did, hired someone to do it, showed them where the horse was, and cashed the check.
    What part of pond scum is it that you don't understand?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin



Similar Threads

  1. Paul Valliere
    By jogem in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 547
    Last Post: Mar. 22, 2004, 08:49 AM
  2. The Paul Valliere ad in the 11/15 Chronicle
    By Coreene in forum Off Course
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: Jan. 4, 2003, 09:30 PM
  3. paul valliere clinic
    By Marcella in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: Oct. 28, 2002, 07:06 AM
  4. Paul Valliere Ad -October 26
    By Midge in forum Reference
    Replies: 334
    Last Post: Jan. 18, 2002, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness