The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Potentially moving to Maryland ..boarding, schools , housing ...eek??

My husband has been job relocated to the Lexington Park/St. Marys county area of MD. I'm vaguely familiar with Maryland have family in the greater Baltimore area..well more Lutherville/Timonium.

What is the area near Pax River/Lexington park like ? In the way of horses will it be difficult to find pasture/boarding for two possibly 3 broodmares and or facilities to foal them out?

For now would be potentially looking for a place to rent and would prefer to find one with land/barn to be able to self keep ...in that greater area do such places exist?

What about schools for human foals. Are the school's in the area decent? Have a 6 year old daughter we will not be moving util around October and I am slightly frustrated about having to acclimate to a new school after the year starts but such is life.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I don't know the area well but try:

http://smd.craigslist.org/
    http://classified.equiery.com/
    We could all take a lesson from crayons some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box. Unknown.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I don't know that area terribly well but second the vote above to look in the Equiery. It's a fantastic resource. Best of luck!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Saint Mary's is very horsey if you know where to look. A lot of these places are off the beaten path. You absolutely won't have trouble finding what you want.

If you want to live close to Pax and decide to stay in Lexington Park, Glen Mary's is four miles from the base's entrance. Huge, huge place with a mile of riverfront, miles of trails and very few horses (owner converted half for cows and most of the boarders left). Self-care and cheap.

For children, I don't think the area is that great. Lexington Park itself is very small and very poor. If you want a good place for your family, you might want to look into the Leonardtown area. The schools are better.

I love, love, love St. Mary's. My daughter attended college at St. Mary's College of Maryland...we called it Club Med on the St. Mary's river. They have lots of wonderful programming in the summer...concerts, etc. My husband and I are thinking of retiring there.

Schools, I'm not sure about...it seemed like most of the SMCM students were from private schools or Annapolis, not many locals. Annapolis does have some pretty great schools.

I swear the sun comes out every time I cross the bridge into St. Mary's County!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant