The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Girth: What do you prefer/ look for?

I am in the market for a new dressage girth...

What do you prefer? There are so many options...

Between Leather, Cool Max, Fleece Comfort, Airform, Contoured, Trevia cord, Gel... It is VERY overwhelming.

The answer is very specific to the horse and the saddle. And also your own preferences (e.g. I only use girths that have elastic at both ends.)

My horse isn't that fond of leather girths against her skin, so I've tended towards the ones with removable, washable liners (e.g. Professionals Choice), and/or fleece (removable preferred.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

It comes down to your horses preference, but as owners and the personal shoppers for our steeds, we do have some say in the matter. I like all leather, really padded, elastic on both ends, roller buckles, and some shaping at the elbows-but not too much. I don't like the ones that have a flap or cover over the buckles-make it too difficult to tighten while mounted. I don't like fleece or sheepskin unless it can be removed to be cleaned, and if its removeable, make sure it stays put when on and doesn't bunch up or pinch. Sheepskin covers are nice and easy to wash, but they don't work if the girth is too contoured.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

My favorite girth is the Passier all-elastic girth. I only wish it had roller buckles...and that "click" function of the Lettia girth...lol.

Ultimately, though, it is my favorite because it is the most comfortable for my horse.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Depends on the horse. I first had the shaped Prestige girth, but it caused rubs on my mare's elbows/armpits, so I got a County Logic 'w' shaped girth and problem solved! The width adds comfort by distributing pressure over a greater area. I also have the Trevira cord girth and its great to use whenever my horse is extra dirty (easy to wash).

Agree with what everyone else has said - it really depends! I have 2 girths of different sizes that are similar to this one from Bit of Britain:

http://www.bitofbritain.com/The_Piaf...irth_p/376.htm

Mine aren't leather and were significantly less expensive, but I really like them because of the flexibility they allow with adjustments (I'm usually riding with them one hole shorter in the front). I also have a Prof. Choice girth, which works OK for my gelding, but causes rubs on my mare. I also am not as fond of that one just because I find it to be more difficult to adjust from the saddle due to the extra keepers.

Someday, I'll get a nice leather girth, but the ones I have are perfectly fine and functional, so I'll stick with them for now.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I like the Buccas cotton girth. I don't prefer leather or neoprene (just my opinion, never had an issue with these materials).

I also have had good luck with Smart Pak's fleece girth for 27 dollars.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/DRESSGIRTH/NFPG.htm

I just got one of these a few months ago, and am totally in love with it! I had a County Logic, sold it, I hated it and my horses didn't much like it either - no elastic and REALLY wide (we need a pinned ears icon).

I have an Albion ergonomic girth, and it is pretty darn nice, well padded, fits the horses well, but one of my guys needed something a bit shorter, so I went shopping and found the above girth. When I have a few more $$$ to spend, I'm going to buy another in a longer size - just really love it! It is self adjusting and balancing.

Love my ovation fleece girth, you can throw in the wash(socks over buckles) or also love throwgood airform girths, they breathe and are super flexable
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

I currently only have fleece because I can't find anything leather in a 22" that I like. I have 2 and throw them in the wash as needed. I did just oder this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...rth-6116p.aspx. We'll see if Rico and I like it. I do insist on elestic on both ends and stainless steel roller buckles. And don't like anything with covers over the buckles.

Small horses are very challenging to outfit for dressage.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Horse currently goes in the Smartpak Breathable Dressage Girth. I have a Trevira cord girth on order to try, as I've heard good things.

Last horse greatly preferred the Passier All-Elastic. I'm not using it, so if anyone is looking, I'd be willing to part with it.

I have spent literally hundreds of dollars on a variety of girths for my mare who rubs super-easily and makes her opinion known if something is not comfortable on her. I've bought everything from the Mattes shaped sheepskin girth to mohair girths to the Frank Baines Humane End girth and nothing works as well as the "el-cheapo" Wintec Elastic girth with a girth sock over it. No rubs AT ALL and mare is happy as a clam when I girth her up.

Have one that goes in fleece (either Mattes or the Lettia coolmax) and one that goes in the SmartPak Wellfleet leather girth. I do like elastic on both ends.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I currently only have fleece because I can't find anything leather in a 22" that I like. I have 2 and throw them in the wash as needed. I did just oder this one: http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartp...rth-6116p.aspx. We'll see if Rico and I like it. I do insist on elestic on both ends and stainless steel roller buckles. And don't like anything with covers over the buckles.

Small horses are very challenging to outfit for dressage.
    check just for ponies. com
    I got a 20" girth on ebay

I love the Professional's Choice Ventech Girths. They have keepers in the right place so the girth doesn't wiggle around and they are easy to rinse off and keep clean. Elastic on both sides for easy girthing. Tekna makes one very similar to this that is just as nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    (we need a pinned ears icon).
    MysticOakRanch, may I please quote you in my signature line? So perfect...
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post

I have an Albion ergonomic girth, and it is pretty darn nice, well padded, fits the horses well...
    I bought one of those to use with an Albion saddle. First horse became girthy with it. When I felt under it, I could feel two pressure points where the elastic v-straps were attached to rings down below the the ribs. So I thought maybe it didn't fit him right, too long maybe.

Switched to my other horse, a totally different shape and size, needed a longer girth. Second horse became girthy. Same pressure points. I began to think my guys were tellin' me something. Far from being ergonomic, the Albion girth seems to me to concentrate all the pressure on those rings. With some regret, because it's a beautifully made leather girth and expensive too, I've hung it up permanently.

I got each of them a Lettia Clik dressage girth. The boys love them! And they ARE easy to tighten. I have carpal tunnel and I had to use a gadget to tighten any other girth, but these not only have the clik mechanism to spring, but the elastic seems to hold a firm but gentle degree of tightness without "girthing up" heavily. One of my saddles is a hoop tree and I used to have to tighten the Albion girth too much to steady it. Not a problem with the Clik girth.

So I'm sold on these Lettia girths, I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    MysticOakRanch, may I please quote you in my signature line? So perfect...
    Of course - and we can start a petition to the mods - I always thought the icons were misplaced for a HORSE bulletin board I want one with a raised hind hoof, one with a curled lip, one with a tail that swishes

Melanthe - I had the same problem with the County Logic girth - my horses were much happier w/ the Albion. So it just goes to show, once you find a freakin saddle that fits Then you have to find a girth that works And just wait until the double bridle - finding that correct curb/bradoon combination There is a reason my tackroom looks like an entire tack SHOP!