The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gift Ideas Needed For Barn Manager/Owner

A close friends dream of owning a boarding/training facility are coming true. The brand new farm is being built and is set to open this fall.
    Our family would like to give her a gift basket with some helpful items. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
    So far I have come up with:

A cookbook with easy and quick meals
    Work gloves
    A bottle of wine
    A box of energy bars

I have never boarded so I am kind of in the dark about what she may need. Anything that will help make her life easier or even give her a laugh on a hard day would be greatly appreciated.

Industrial Size bottle of Tylenol

Maybe some nice bath stuff too, to wash away the days stresses.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

A pillow to scream into.

Hmmm. That may send the wrong message. True, but no need to be a Debbie Downer I guess.

If it can be bigger than basket-size, a larger dry-erase calender or plain board, and some dry erase markers tied up in a bow? VEEEEERY useful everywhere I've been. Also, a locking mail slot box for board/training checks to be dropped into? I bet with some research, you can find an equestrian or otherwise attractive one. Laminated reuseable "Horse Info" cards? Some cute signs? My current barn as "What happens in the barn stays in the barn" hanging in the tack room, kinda cute.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Gift certificates to the liquor store or a masseuse? lol
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!

dry erase board and markers are good, as is a nice wheelbarrow if she doesn't yet have one picked out

a damnit doll to beat against the wall maybe, I wish I had one at work some days

Oh these are great! Thank you!

Gift card to a chiropracter :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Gift Card to a therapist!!

Books on successful business topics (customer service, marketing, etc)? A lot of BO's are excellent with horses. People and/or business... not so much.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!

if she doesn't have it already the book Horsekeeping on Small Acerage, it has lots of good ideas that work for all sized barns

If it were me I'd get her a restaurant gift card--she's definitely going to be too busy to cook!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Something in her new facility's colors? (This year for Christmas I got my trainer the Horseware Newmarket fleece throw in the barn's colors and had it monogrammed. It goes on the road with her and is getting plenty of use.)

As a BO, I say forget the cookbook! A gift certificate to a restaurant is much better and extra wine is always appreciated!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Print the COTH thread on crockpot recipes for after you ride

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...hlight=recipes

If you are ambitious, type out the recipes - either full page or 3X5 index cards - and put them in a notebook/file for her.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Thank you for all of the awesome suggestions. They all are great. I plan on putting the items in a muck bucket so I need to add more equine items.
    I was thinking of some first aid items for the horses. But any other ideas are welcome as well.

For some filler:

How about a few of those Wrist Cuffs you wear while bathing a horse?--they keep the water from running down your arm

A couple of bars of glycerine soap & packs of mini-sponges.

An assortment of safety shears would be great - it never fails, you need to cut a bale and NO scissors to be found
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Utility Knives. So useful, and like the shears.. never any around when you need them lol