The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CoTH Article About Arabians in Dressage???? UPDATE!! FOUND IT! PG 2

Finally I have a reason to post on the Dressage Forum!!

A few weeks ago I was browsing through the CoTH articles on the Home Page, and I came across a great article about "Why aren't there more Arabs in Dressage?", or something like that. It was a fantastic article about how the authors first horse was an Arab mare and everything they did together, then branched into modern day dressage. Can anyone locate the link for this? I searched for about 20 minutes last night and finally gave up.
    Last edited by Neigh-Neigh; Oct. 4, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

I hope someone finds it, I would love to read it!

I think there are more Arabians in dressage than people think, the HA tend to show open under their other half - sad but true. My friend has a gorgeous Donnersclag (I know I'm butchering his name,sorry) gelding that shows PSG as an Oldenburg and his dam is a purebred polish Arabian. And there are many others doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    the HA tend to show open under their other half - sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Meaning they show as: Oldenburg, American Warmblood, TB cross or Anglo, pony, etc. I have a very good friend that shows her gelding as a QH cross and he's registered HA. And I actually have to choose when I show my filly because USDF only awards for 1 breed - so I have to choose Hanoverian or HA. I will definitely be showing her as a Hanoverian at USDF shows as she carries the brand.

Just saying that many Arabian bred horses are out there showing, their owners for whatever reason choose to not reveal it.

I show my purebred Arab in both Open and breed shows. The Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show has increased its dressage numbers steadily over the years and I think it is a good general indicator of the interest. There are fewer purebred's at the open shows here, but in AZ we have so many "A" breed shows that people may not feel compelled to venture outside. As far as the halfs, I don't feel their owners are hiding behind a different registry. It just makes more sense to be identified by a singular registry rather than falling under the umbrella of Half.

I would love to read the article....anyone find the link??

We have three successful PB and half Arabs showing

4 time SHN FEI Champion KB Omega Fahim++++// showing GP
    2 Time SHN FEI Champion KB Jull Fahim+// Showing I2
    3 Time Region 3 Champion KB Kalilia Fahim++ Showing 3rd

There are many wonderful Arabians in dressage and it is growing. Not everyone likes a big and tall WB.....there is room for other breeds in all sports.

Wow! I would love to read the article too..... I have a Half Arab and dream of showing her in dressage in the Scottsdale Arabian Show someday...... When I first got to AZ in the early 1980's it seemed that the majority of horses I saw in dressage were Arabs.....and they were beautiful!!!!!
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

These are the closest matches that I could find here on COTH, but none of them really fit:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ge-stereotypes

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-championships

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/project-horse

Could the article have been on another site?

Also not exactly what you you were looking for, but perhaps some people will be interested in these articles from several decades ago:

http://blythdale.tripod.com/coventry...nter/id24.html

http://web.archive.org/web/200902040...om/sa01004.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/200605190...om/sa01003.htm

None of these are it...perhaps I saw it on another site. Thanks to everyone who looked. If I ever run across it again, I'll post it

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Meaning they show as: Oldenburg, American Warmblood, TB cross or Anglo, pony, etc. I have a very good friend that shows her gelding as a QH cross and he's registered HA. And I actually have to choose when I show my filly because USDF only awards for 1 breed - so I have to choose Hanoverian or HA. I will definitely be showing her as a Hanoverian at USDF shows as she carries the brand.

Just saying that many Arabian bred horses are out there showing, their owners for whatever reason choose to not reveal it.
    Yup. I show my Araloosa as an Appaloosa, since he has regular papers (he's all characteristics and color). And let me be honest and purely selfish: I nominated him to USDF as an Appaloosa, because there are a lot more half-Arabians - WB crosses like yours and the like - and fewer Appaloosas showing dressage. ;o) Add to that, my guy makes for a great guessing game at shows: Few people guess that he is half-Arabian. He has a refined, but not particularly "Arabian" head, and he's 16.2, so most people guess he's a TB, Hano or Trakhener cross (I tell them they are "close" when they guess Trakhener.) But on the other hand, I don't mind telling people he's half-Arabian and, indeed, his sire was one of the few Trakhener approved Arabians in the U.S.

Sandy is your Appaloosa by Aul Magic? I have a three year old filly by Aul Magic. :-) (and a few doses of his frozen semen in storage for future use)

Here is a picture of my then 2 year old. If I compete him as a half-Arabian, wouldn't the judges be looking for Arabian characteristics? Theoretically, not. I can't help but wonder.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7&l=219f751c77

sad that the breed has such a stigma against it as a using horse that owners that show open do not want to claim it's heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by shall View Post
    Here is a picture of my then 2 year old. If I compete him as a half-Arabian, wouldn't the judges be looking for Arabian characteristics? Theoretically, not. I can't help but wonder.

All of the Sport Horse classes at Arabian shows are judged by open Dressage or Hunter judges. I just showed my Escudo II filly at her first Arabian show yesterday and she took the Res. Championship In Hand. She had the highest scores for gaits of all the horses shown. She was a little too frisky (pouring down rain & hail) and got dinged pretty good on the manners score which dropped her down - oh well, Babies what do you do?

So my point is, being half WB or TB really helps you in the Sport Horse classes as they are more they type of horse that the judges are used to judging. They tend to score higher than the PB's.

Default There is no stigma, an athlete is an athlete

If I take my athlete to a show, and we do well, then that is what counts. Unfortunately, at this point in time, high scoring Arabian = saddlleseat, and my horses are not that. Money has talked too long here.

I'm part of the new direction of Arabian horses. I ride them because I love them, as they are fun, bright and spirited. They don't hit their jaw at the trot nor are their tails dragging the ground. The old Arabian world values this type of horse. Go check out Scottsdale for a breed in transition. You'll see both.

We hunter pace, jump and do dressage. We don't do saddleseat nor halter.

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    sad that the breed has such a stigma against it as a using horse that owners that show open do not want to claim it's heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by shall View Post

No, trust me, if you do dressage they will be looking for dressage, not breed characteristics. Same with hunters - they will look for a hunter. Do you think they might look harder for improper behaviour or what?

My young horse is registered both and I show his dam and uncle, both Straight Egyptian. He's going to be lovely to ride with his very good mind and I like a good Arabian.

He doesn't particularly look Arabian in his body or his head. I see his mother in his facial expressions, but I'm around him a lot.

He's a cross. If you bred a zebra to an Arabian, and it came out with stripes, you'd tend to call it zebra.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn J-L View Post
    Sandy is your Appaloosa by Aul Magic? I have a three year old filly by Aul Magic. :-) (and a few doses of his frozen semen in storage for future use)
    Yes, he is. Confetti's MAgic Marker (Aul Magic x Confetti's Red Rose)

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    I show an Arabian in dressage. He is purebred with a head that is unmistakably typey. But he's nicely put together and I get a lot of compliments on him. I honestly think any stigma exists mostly in the owners' heads.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    I show an Arabian in dressage. He is purebred with a head that is unmistakably typey. But he's nicely put together and I get a lot of compliments on him. I honestly think any stigma exists mostly in the owners' heads.
    So true.

It is not about trying to ride something that "looks" like a warmblood for me... It is about trying to ride something that is obviously their own breed well enough for it to matter very little what breed it was in the first place

Judges are not your enemy... Gravity and time are

In dressage the rider gets plenty of comments too... I know I have
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/