The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default U-Ship

Has anyone used U-Ship to have a horse transported? I need to have my horse shipped from North Carolina to Tallahassee Florida.

I used it once. You have to check out the shipper before you make a decision. I have turned down a few for various reasons but there aer good shippers on there.

I put a listing out on UShip but did not use them. I didn't think the pricing made it worth it for the risk (some unproven shippers). I actually ended up getting better pricing from a commercial shipper.

I have used UShip twice, and had great luck both times. I agree, though -RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

Google the following......uship complaints

You wont live long enough to read everything!!!

Many horses paid in full for transport up front...the lucky ones just lost their money...others had their horse picked up never to be seen again. Call the hauler you say? LOL Their phone is disconnected before they leave your driveway.

Not just horses...cars, boats, contents of homes......they all just seem to vanish once picked up.

Uship will NOT assist in recovery in any way as they hide behind their user agreement. Make CERTAIN to READ it if you choose to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post

Many horses paid in full for transport up front...the lucky ones just lost their money...others had their horse picked up never to be seen again. Call the hauler you say? LOL Their phone is disconnected before they leave your driveway.

Not just horses...cars, boats, contents of homes......they all just seem to vanish once picked up.

Uship will NOT assist in recovery in any way as they hide behind their user agreement. Make CERTAIN to READ it if you choose to go that route.
    WOW! JUST WOW! Glad I decided against using them

You guys have me so freaked out now! The problem I am facing is that its not a super popular route. I have one "bid" right now and the shipper has 80+ reviews... Would you trust this?

Quote Originally Posted by kkgeorgio View Post
    You guys have me so freaked out now! The problem I am facing is that its not a super popular route. I have one "bid" right now and the shipper has 80+ reviews... Would you trust this?
    You should be able to find a large number of commercial shippers going in that direction at this time of year -- many are moving race horses out of florida (Ocala) and many are coming out of south florida. I can't imagine you can't find one coming out of Ocala to bring it up your way.

OP - depends on who they are...(sorry, that's not helpful!!) Does the company have a website; what type of trailer; testimonials on web site, insurance, etc etc.

You might contact Creech out of Ocala...

I was on the Florida turnpike today and saw Brookledge rigs EVERYwhere.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

You should be able to easily get a horse on a reputable commercial shipper for "that" trip. Tons of shippers run the I-95 route. I have searched U-ship on occassion, but got everything from cattle trailers to real horse trailers. Not worth the risk as others have stated. I personally like Ralph Smith Horse Transport out of Kennitt Square, Pa. We used them for all our race horse shipping.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post

Really? Did this happen to you? We have used them 8 times. For a dog, horses, a pallet of dog crates and had no problems at all. I am not saying there are not problems, you have to check out who you are using, but we have had good luck with them.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Absolutely not. There are very few companies I trust my horses with. I trust their drivers, their equipment, and their communication skills. The last thing I want is someone skimping on things to try to do it as cheaply as possible- I want two drivers, an air-ride semi, and a reasonable route that doesn't keep them on the trailer for days while the zig zag across the country filling up a load.

This shouldn't be hard right now...trucks are returning horses north from Florida from now for the next month regularly.
    Call Kevin Hennessy. If he can't do it, he can send you in the right direction. 610-730-9080.

Call Tapp Horse Transport in Versailles, Ky. They do the Lexington -- North and South Carolina route, but I know they have also picked up and dropped of horses in Georgia.

I have shipped horses with them many times; their prices are reasonable (1/2 of what the big shippers cost) and I trust them totally to do right by my horses.

If they will not go as far as Talahassee (sp), they will iknow who does.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

I used u ship for horse transportation and it went fine. Commercial shippers were the ones bidding and I was able to review refs, etc. This was several years ago, so not sure how it might have changed since then, but I had no problem.

If Uship is the group that is on the tv program where the drivers bid on loads, I wouldn't ship ANYTHING with them! They are for the most part, at least the ones on the show, are idiots!

All the nay-sayers whining about rickety trailers realize YOU CAN PICK YOUR SHIPPER, right????

I found a ride for my mare through u-ship. I got eight bids in about two hours. Four were from people with low/non-existent feedback, and one was from a guy with a half-ton and a two horse, which I didn't feel comfortable with for this trip. The other three were from reputable commercial shippers with over 200+ positive feedbacks and separate, commercial websites. I eventually just went with the lowest bid (also the person who could get her to me the soonest) and was nothing but happy. She showed up in a GORGEOUS 4 horse head-to-head overflowing with clean shavings towed by a brand new diesel 3500. The owner kept in contact with me right from the beginning and answered his phone every single time I called. I paid half up front through Paypal (which gave me recourse for getting it back) and then half cash on arrival.

Do some research, don't go with the low bid from Joe Blow with 2 positive feedbacks for towing boats around, and you'll be FINE.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Absolutely not. There are very few companies I trust my horses with. I trust their drivers, their equipment, and their communication skills. The last thing I want is someone skimping on things to try to do it as cheaply as possible- I want two drivers, an air-ride semi, and a reasonable route that doesn't keep them on the trailer for days while the zig zag across the country filling up a load.

I would never use UShip to find someone for my horses either. I want them to have door to door service and an expected arrival time. I use the same shippers regularly with success.

The girl on the TV show that ships livestock seems to have good intentions, but running out of fuel and other issues don't make for very professional hauling... yes, my husband loves that show...
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

I cannot say strongly enough that you should go with ANY commercially licensed and insured shipper but NEVER go with Uship! I was required to pay up front and when the trailer showed up to pick up my horse, it was NOT as represented in the description or picture. My horse couldn't even fit in it so obviously didn't go in. I was told I would receive a full refund but was not backed up by Uship's trust & safety person, Meredith Cranch - who let the whole thing blow over and is letting this person, Dee Guess still transport horses out of Paisley, Florida on their site.