The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Enormous dressage pads?

Ok, this is a weird question, but what is the longest dressage pad you've found? So my part-lease horse has some issues with some bald spots on his barrel, right where your leg goes - it's an issues of winter hair having been shed but his summer coat not really coming in yet. Anyway, we've been using two "normal" square pads set askew, so that they cover the spots. Yesterday I had the idea of trying to see if the big dressage pad I have would work, and it _almost_ does - it's maybe 1.5" too short on either side. So I'm thinking if I can find the biggest dressage pad in the world, that might work! Of course, I don't want to spend a ton, as we'll only need it for a month or so, so it might not be possible.

We have a vendor that has one that is 26" along spine and 23.5" drop from spine... they run $49.95 and are a custom order. 100% cotton felt interior and 100% cotton casing. quilted in MANY colors/piping options. LASTS a super long time.. I only use these pads on our dressage horses.. absorbs well and washes even better! Thick cotton felt interior is great for cush too!

Couldn't you just sew a tab on your existing saddle pad (then you can easily remove it later) or ride with your leg off for a week (depending on how much coat is coming in, this could obviously take longer/shorter time periods) - I'd be worried about the overlapping saddle pads causing rubs in other areas.

If he's causing the rubs himself due to itching (re shedding) then a topical itch relief ointment can help (Nature's Aid gets FP's vote) as can blanketing & thorough grooming (bath IF it's warm enough).

What about duct tape? I've read here on the forum that it works for hock sores...

You need this:
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...sp?ic=ER90153R

Looks silly, but it solves your problem!
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Are you riding in half chaps? I've seen half chaps do this, and riding in tall boots with out spurs solves the problem.

I've seen people use regular sheets or bath towels to solve this problem. Sometimes over the pad, sometimes placed under.

A cotton sheet from a twin bed can be folded pretty neatly to work, or a thin "bath sheet" sized towel.

Unless you really want to find the biggest Dressage pad in the world, and continue riding in it, of course
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Thanks, all! He's a schoolie too, so it's not just me riding him, which is why I was looking for a very easy/straightforward solution! I'll look into the suggestions, and pass along the non-pad tips to the BO. Thanks!