The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mustang Makeover Dressage Style

... that horse is better than the one I compete on!!!!!

That's showmanship not dressage.

I'm gonna start training my horses in showmanship then.

try straightness instead if you want to move past training level ... balance & develop the gaits ...
    I just don't see any favors for that mare, I'd rather spend a year & give her good basics.

I think she is adorable. Call it what ever you want but she looks like a very happy horse that likes what she is doing and trusts her rider/trainer. Can't as for much more

I'd say that's pretty darned good.for 100 days to go.from.wild.to.rideable let alone working on submission and stating to find softness and relaxation. 100 days is not.long at all when you need to also halter train, back them, and teach minimal dressage to. I think this mare will develop beautifully as she comes along and has more miles on her. Cute mare that came a long way quickly. Good job.

Cute horse, and very impressive training... but NOT dressage. The horse is tense (very uneven at the start) not accepting the bit, not straight etc etc.

That is not really a criticism as obviously the person who owns this mare is happy with how she goes. Its more akin to tricks than dressage. The horse seems fairly happy and that is no small thing. The riding bridleless was cool, and the little jump course was lovely.
    Last edited by Aven; Mar. 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

She looks like a very smart mare, and she's pretty cute! I agree with Aven that the mare is tense, not accepting the bit, and isn't very straight. It seems to me the 'tricks' were more focused on, than developing a solid understanding of the basics. That is really how to get things started dressage style.

Also, did she look a little lame in the first bit of the video (from the start until the halt/salute at X)? I saw some head bobbing, perhaps it was just the unevenness of the gait?

Having said all that, if the owner is happy with the way that her mare is developing than that's great! I wish them the best of luck in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

She looks lame at the beginning of the video to me, too.

I think she looks beyond lovely for 100 days in. The mare is attempting changes for God's sake! Lays down on command, and then she rides sans bridle. and jumps a quiet course. And for the record, while it was a showmanship class, there's no reason to say it's not dressage, and that's coming from a classical queen . go youtube any horse in it's first 3 months of backing-dressage training. there will always be straightness and acceptance issues in those first few months. This feral horse is doing better than most warmbloods in their first 6 months!
    Big congratulations to Marsh Sapp!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I agree that the horses that soon into training aren't usually accepting the bit, but doing changes, all crooked and behind the contact ISN'T dressage IMO. Its a trick, something trained just for itself, not part of a process (and for the record I have trained some fun tricks myself, including lying down dead..) Its not a bad thing to have trained tricks, just one shouldn't confuse fun tricks with getting a horse to work forward into contact. Doing changes like that in all likelihood would make doing them correctly harder later. At least that has been my experience with horses that were taught to change by doing the 'change or fall over trick'.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    That's showmanship not dressage.
    Agreed, but I'd also like to point out, that, in the current climate, a little showmanship is good PR for the mustangs.

Also, I thought she looked lame at the beginning of the video as well.
    "I am literally a pillar in my community"

Quote Originally Posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
    yuk. not a happy horse at all and it is lame. i guess when you try to cram a years worth of training into 100 days that is what you get.

btw i am NO fan of all this crazy extreme makeover carp. what a great way to learn to rush training on the horses that most need not rushed training!

You've done well. I disagree with those who infer this horse would be better if you'd spent longer. The horse is what it is!

Looks more like reining than actual dressage to me... But I did think she looked nice over fences.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

If the horse is tense it's only because it knew the owner was filming the video and that it would end up on COTH. Who wouldn't be tense , waiting to be torn apart.

I think that mustang is doing very well for her first 100 days. Anyone who says otherwise can go to ... (find something that rhymes)

How ridiculous to tear this horse and rider apart after what they have accomplished.

So what it isn't ready to do a full Training Level test in front of a rated judge. 100 DAYS AFTER COMING IN OFF THE PLAINS.

At their current rate of improvement imagine where they will be in the next 100 days and the 100 days after that. You guys better get to work perfecting your straightness and balance to lord over people because that little mustang is hot on your tails.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    crazy extreme makeover carp
    Where do I find a picture of a fish in a wig and big false eyelashes lol! Sorry, but that tickles my funny bone this morning...