The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Who all's in the proposed path of these two storms? Any evacuation plans? Where will you go?

I do not leave my property for storms. Small animals are crated in a secure area. Large animals are given choice of barn or field. All animals have identifying marks or chips.

Just wondering what those in hurricane-prone areas do.

Good luck to all of you.

Who all's in the proposed path of these two storms? Any evacuation plans? Where will you go?

I do not leave my property for storms. Small animals are crated in a secure area. Large animals are given choice of barn or field. All animals have identifying marks or chips.

Just wondering what those in hurricane-prone areas do.

Good luck to all of you.

For Isabella last year our vet told us to make sure our horses had their halters on with visable id tags (not just micro chips, tattoos, etc). So we went to petsmart and got dog tags (we called them "hurricane tags" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif) that had the barn name, address, phone number as well as our cell phone numbers (in case land lines went down).
    He also suggested putting any medical information on an index card that you either laminated or put in a plastic bag and then rolled and duck taped around part of the halter. For example, my friend noted on this card that one of her mares was blind.
    There are tons of debates on what to do in this type of situation (halters on or off, in stalls or in field, etc) so you really just need to check out various options and figure out what works best for you.

Fortunately I think its going to miss us (I hope) even though we are sure to get tons more rain. Where do you live? If I were to take a direct hit I would move the horses about 30 miles inland and put them on an open ranch. That is if it were a lower category hurricane. Otherwise, I take the farm and LEAVE. I remember the devastation of Andrew too well even though we only got the end of it.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Ugh. We moved 40 horses out of Charleston for Floyd - we sat in traffic for 14 hours (the trip usually takes three hours) and almost lost three b/c they didn't travel well, all for naught when the storm didn't even hit. I vowed never to move them again during a storm.

Your vet should be able to help you with an emergency plan. Generally, evacuations are not advisable unless it's going to be a huge storm that will keep YOU off your property for days and leave you with no electricity or water. Also, your state vet should have a website with all sorts of suggestions for preparing for a storm.

Oh! That reminds me! Stock pile on water too! Our barn fills up every troft, bucket, trash can, and even barrels used for stadium jumps with water before hurricanes and snow storms. After one of the blizzards last winter, the farm went without electricity for a week with no problems.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

What annoys me most about these two storms is they didn't name the second one Clyde.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

I am annoyed about the name thing too!
    I thought the projected path currently does show a hit between Fort Myers and the Keys with the storm then veering across? Guess that is going to change pretty often with Charlie being such a fast moving storm.
    I will hunker mine down in the barn and make sure I have plenty of feed and water stored. If it looks like we will take a hard hit then the horses will be tagged. I don't want to find out if my barn will actually hold up to 120mph steady like they say it will. One time at my old boarding barn we spray painted our horses with some orange glow paint. That was in case they got loose, so it would be easier for cars to see them I guess?
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midge:
    What annoys me most about these two storms is they didn't name the second one Clyde. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif Me too!

Not sure what we will do, we are inland but in both storms direct path. I like the tag idea, hadn't thought of that. Need to go and buy some. Water could be a problem, but there are plenty of ponds near by if we need to fill up, though I don't like the idea of them drinking that type of water!
    Reriders keep on riding
    Why walk, when you can ride!

We've never had to deal with a hurricane but I know last year when we had an unexpected storm hit, straightline winds with tornado speeds, we had had no power for 2 weeks. All of the grocery stores and pretty much any place with food had no power or was inaccesable (sp??) for 2 weeks also and we had to drive 1 - 2 hours to get food and even those places were pretty much emptied out. Basically we didn't have much food or water for two weeks- for us or our animals. I know Im just rambling on but what I guess Im trying to get out is make sure you have plenty of water and food for both the humans and the animals. Jingles for all in the path of these two storms!!
    *Horses give us the wings we lack*

Basin Street Blues (Jeffrey)

Yup, Clyde would have been a much better name choice...LOLOL http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    Having lived on the SC coast for years, we made through Hugo, so we'll do what we've always done: batten down the hatches, stockpile water, feed, hay and shavings (already done!)
    As for our house, it was built in 1828, so I doubt it goes anywhere...hehe! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Well I guess I'm having to change my post to say we probably are going to get part of Charlie. Even if its not direct we are still going to be in the "cone" .
    Going to the feed store today was sopmething!~ everyone was stocking up on supplies...haven't even attempted the grocery store yet.
    Of course all the bread, water and batteries will be GONE. What is it about buying bread?
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Bread? Hmm well, something for those non-adkins people to put their meat and cheese in between. LOL! Hint for those who have not really thought about supplies though. Gas for your gas grill if you have one. And lighters for candles and that gas grill. No, you can not light your gas oven without one. The clicker thingy is electric (can you tell I mucked that up once http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif) And don't forget a regular can opener. If you have a generator, don't forget to bu lots of gas. Those of you who are in a possible flood area should be sure that you get your feed and hay and tack up off the floors. As for stalls in potential flood (minor flood) areas, now might be a great time to try Woody Pet. It does absorb tons more water than shavings or sawdust. Might help keep your pony dry. If you can trench out your paddocks (that are attached to stalls) and build up in front of stall doors with sand or bedding, you might keep some of the water out. Koppertoxing the hooves might be a good idea. Put your homeowner's insurance papers and other important papers in a safe deposit box. Don't forget your horse's coggins papers and pics or proof of ownership should your horse become lost. Also pics and info on any other pets should be put in the box as well. Crating indoor pets is a a good idea if it is predicted for possibly devastating winds.
    Regarding tagging the horses. My boarder works as a surgi nurse. She is going to get the bands that they use for patients and we will attach them to each horse in more than one spot. Just in case. Remember alternate phone # should be written on the tags. Perhaps a relative or friend in a "safe area"? If your horse is lost, power and phones may be out and a rescuer may not be able to reach you. If you put a full address and an alternate phone, that will help. Please, those who are not in the path of either storm, pls pray or jingle or ohmms for those that are.
    Thank you.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midge:
    What annoys me most about these two storms is they didn't name the second one Clyde. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Good one. A very, very good one! (Said from the safety of the dry West Coast. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif )
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

What annoys me most about these two storms is they didn't name the second one Clyde. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said the same thing!

Do the orange paint thing and write your name and phone number (or the number of someone in another area who will probably still have phone service and can contact you) on the side of your horse in big letters. This is because then your horse will be visibly marked. After Andrew there was class of people that showed up and picked up every loose horse they could catch and guess where they went. You can put everything in the world in a ziploc bag on a halter, but you better hope an honest person finds your horse. With big ugly orange paint letters marking your horse and showing that you want him back it is much harder for these people to pass them off at a slaughter house. And if someone sees him but can't catch him at least they can call you and let you know where to look. Another suggestion is if you have a lightweight sheet (rain sheet, fly sheet whatever) throw that over them to help protect them from flying debris. And also use only leather halters please.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Lets see, Neon green luggage tags with names, numbers and farm infon braided into the mane and tail. 3x5 info card rolled in a ziploc and taped to the halter. Neon orange allergy alert bracelets with mulitple phone numbers attached where ever they will attach. Used permanant marker to put phone numbers on all white hooves available. Then farm owner has a special marker to put phone numbers on the side of each horse as well. At home have water, canned goods, opener, charcol, candles, flashlights, extra trash bags, tarps and hope.

Crossing my fingers and toes for you guys in Florida and the along the east coast path.

I will forever now remember this storm series as "Bonnie and Clyde". http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif Very clever!!
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Right now it looks like I am going to get the direct hit from Charley. I am in Tampa.

We bought 10 plastic trash cans to fill with water and will fill all stock tanks and muck baskets also. I am also trying to get the hospital ID bracelets. The index card in the ziplock is a good idea also. I wonder where I can get a livestock paint pen? I don't think my feed store stocks them.

Pray for us.

We are only 5 miles inland on the northeatern part of the bay. The storm should hit us Friday afternoon and will get us on the ebb tide, the force of the storm may not let the tide out and will push more water into the bay. They are currently talking of a 10 foot storm surge.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Are you FL west coasters planning on keeping your horses stabled or turning them out?

Amwrider - I got livestock markers from my local feed store but I had to ask for them. They weren't on display. They are more like big fat grease crayons, and not a traditional marker.

Good luck to you all. Hopefully it will be an inconvenience and nothing more.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.