The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question RUMBAR vs Traditional WOOD and MATS

Hi all, I am new to this forum and am hoping for some 'sound' advice.
    Looking to purchase a new HAWK 2 horse classic elite trailer and am torn on which flooring to choose..
    Please post your experience with RUMBER and also with traditional wood and mats.
    my concerns..
    1. comfort and ride comfort
    2 slippage
    3. durability
    4. resale what would you choose?
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by dressage90; Mar. 28, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: to correct RUMBAR to RUMBER

Googling rumbar got me a bunch of, well, rum bars. If rumbar is the same as trex-type stuff, then yeah, I'd totally go that way.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have Rumber flooring in my Hawk trailer and love it! I cannot lift mats because of a shoulder injury; the Rumber means no mats.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Love my Rumber floor! I've had this trailer for 10 years now and I won't part with it because no one in this region sells a brand with rumber floors. Pro's I noticed: the whole trailer is cooler when traveling over roads with up to 120 degree road temps (aka crossing Kansas in August). No mats to slip if in an accident or hard stop. The pee drains out of the trailer immediately, so no ammonia in the trailer. Need little bedding. Easiest ever to wash: sweep out, power wash, done, looks brand new.

I'm not sure I can even think of a con...

For your specific questions not directly answered above: comfort is good. It has some give and anti vibration effects. The horses always come out of it (8-32 hour trips) ready to show with tight legs.

Slippage: fine with bedding. Not tested without, but I know a few people that never us bedding with their rumber floor with out issues.

durability: very good that I can tell. I have an estimated 60,000-70,000 miles on mine and the floor literally still looks new. I power wash it after every major trip. It has no dents, chips or visible wear. Other parts of the trailer are having issues so I fully expect the floor to out live the trailers life. The sales guy said if you need to replace a board then you only have to do one and not the whole trailer, so it is cheap. I cannot even imagine what you would have to do to it to require replacing a board!

random: I have hooks and anchors along the whole sides of the floors that have been there since the beginning. They are the screw in type and not one has budged with horse walking on them and tyeing down the occasional motorcycle or hay load. Not something I could do in a matted trailer.

It is rumber, not rumbar.

If you search on rumber, you will find a LOT of threads about it.

I have it in my trailer, and am very happy with it.

1. comfort and ride comfort
    Seems to be more comfortable, but can't tell for sure

2 slippage
    Less slippage problems than with mats- Music would often "scoot" the mat so it folded up on itself. Doesn't happen with rumber.

3. durability
    It is guaranteed for 25 years. I have had mine for almost 10 with no problems

4. resale
    No idea, but if I were buying used it would be a plus.

what would you choose?

Rumber.
    thanks in advance
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have a Hawk and love it. The rumber didn't come with, it was an extra. Decided not to get it; the dealer talked me out of it.

I've had no problems with the mats. Trailer is kept well bedded and the horses are happy.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I think I will go for it based on the reviews above!
    Thanks so much!

I also have a Hawk with wood and mats. The rumber had a 20 year warranty, the wood/mats was a lifetime warranty. I just went with the longest warranty. I really didn't have a preference.

Enjoy the new trailer. I love my Hawk.

My Hawk has Rumber, and having pulled a variety of trailers over the last 35+ years, Rumber wins hands down over wood and mats.

I'm in WI.
    Last edited by Unfforgettable; Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Just wondering if geography/weather makes a difference.

To the rumber people: where are you located ?
    To the people who don't have it: where are you located ?
    Last edited by Mardi; Mar. 28, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I bought new Hawk last fall and got wood floors with mats. I keep shaving on top, and have no problems. It is very nice. I've never had a Rumber floor, but I like the solid feeling of a wood floor with mats.

Word to the wise: Order the heavy duty black pads, not the standard gray pads. I didn't even know there were options.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...c/IMG_3155.jpg

A couple other suggestions:

Get rubber mats in the dressing room.

The tie rings are not the strongest, so tie pullers with caution (use twine).

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...c/IMG_3153.jpg

Tie rings on the inside, or outside ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Just wondering if geography/weather makes a difference.

To the rumber people: where are you located ?
    To the people who don't have it: where are you located ?
    Idaho 4 years
    Oklahoma 5 years
    California 6 months
    Texas and Virginia 4 months each
    Wasington 3 months

Travelled in Temps -20 to 110 ish, elevation 0 to 9000 plus
    Same trailer- no change in performance

Love the rumber!

I am so happy to hear all of the reviews...

Larkspur, thanks for all the input.. the black pads.. are they the upgraded 2" pads? I have requested that, but if there is a difference in vinyl, I will ask... I am sorry to see the tie cleats are weak... luckily I do not plan to tie up...

jm2 the new warranty info that I have found, from 3 dealers is that the floor now has a 7 year warranty with the elite package, and a 5 year with the custom... the rumbar is the only flooring that seems to have an "extended warranty" maybe I am missing something.. the HAWK website is rather vague. I will have to ask more specifically before I order.

The wood flooring has a lifetime guarantee.

I got wood flooring on my new one...I also got the black butt/breast bars and pads because I didn't like the looks of the light grey. I got the normal padding, thicker padding wasn't necessary. I originally wanted to get it but I didn't need it.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer4.jpg

Check with the dealer about the upgraded pads and the vinyl. I've been talking with Risa about replacing mine with heavy duty black pads. I know someone who got the thicker pads, but they were also gray, so I don't know whether the vinyl was thicker or not -- I don't think so. Just make sure to get the heavier vinyl.

I guess the pads aren't covered by warranty, but I'm planning to make a complaint to the company directly. That vinyl is far too flimsy for any horse application, and I think it's too early for me to be having to duct tape my trailer pads.

The exterior tie ring broke when my mare pulled back. I'm planning to mount a new ring using the same holes with a carriage bolt going all the way through the trailer wall (per Risa's advice).

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    The wood flooring has a lifetime guarantee.

I got wood flooring on my new one...I also got the black butt/breast bars and pads because I didn't like the looks of the light grey. I got the normal padding, thicker padding wasn't necessary. I originally wanted to get it but I didn't need it.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/trailer4.jpg
    Yes, lifetime warranty on the wood floor.

I agree that the thicker pads probably aren't necessary. Good thing you got the heavy-duty vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by dressage90 View Post
    Hi all, I am new to this forum and am hoping for some 'sound' advice.
    Looking to purchase a new HAWK 2 horse classic elite trailer and am torn on which flooring to choose..
    Please post your experience with RUMBER and also with traditional wood and mats.
    OK, I've read of folks that really like them, but the dealer who sold me my beloved Hawk hates them and won't carry them. It's been some years since I bought the Hawk and I do not recall his reasons, but since it cost more and the dealer dissed it I went with wood and mats and have been happy. Of course, I don't know what I am missing, either!

I have a 2005 Hawk trailer with the rumber floors. I LOVE MY TRAILER!!! I'm all about low maintenance. I didn't want to have to deal with pulling-up mats. The rumber is SO EASY! You just hose it off and it looks good as new. The rumber has a nice grippy texture too.

The dealer where I got my Hawk trailer puts rumber floors in all of their trailers on the lot. You'd have to special order a wood floor. So, obviously they think it's better too.

I'm located in Northern Virginia. Here is the dealership I worked with:

http://blueridgetrailer.com/

Click on their video - scroll ahead to 1:45 minutes to hear what they have to say about the rumber floors.

I have no idea if mine are heavy duty...they are just black. hoping the black ones are heavy duty!