The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quarter horse in the hunter ring? Barefoot in the hunter ring? Yes to both!

Just have to brag on my QH at a local show last week. He is barefoot on all four too.

My trainer riding, and she and my horse made it look so easy I have no excuses!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...61533091_n.jpg
    friend of bar.ka

so cute!!

Nice horse!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

What a cutie pie. I use to show my Oldenburg barefoot in dressage. I just had to be careful on gravel but other that that he was great.

Lovely! Thanks for sharing.

What a cutie! My mare's barefoot too, and you'd never know until we have to go across gravel.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Very cute! I also have a barefoot chestnut QH with a blaze and I want to do hunters with him, so this makes me happy. (:

Very cute. I have a 16.2+hh Oldenburg who shows the PreGreens and Adults at the A shows barefoot. She barely ever even gets a crack or chip and usually is on a 5 to 6 week trim schedule. She, also, lives outside 24/7, except when she is at a show.

I remember a couple years ago the big thing was to pull the shoes before the hack class. The show farrier used to laugh at this as he stood there pulling shoes and then tacking them back on as the winner exited the arena. He made good money though! And yes, the barefoot one would usually win, that is why everyone started doing it!

Eee, what a doll!

Just curious - how tall is he? He looks big.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Very cute! My 4yo OTTB goes barefoot on all four and lives out 24/7.

My six year old TB/QH is barefoot and I hope always will be. If he needs shoes, fine, but until then? Nope.

The babies we have raised never seem to need them. Interesting.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

LOVE me a QH that can prove people wrong. I had one many years ago who could foxhunt first flight, work cows and win in the hunter shows. She was my best friend and a once in a lifetime mare.
    My OTTB is barefoot and lives out and has feet made of solid granite. He gets a trim every 10 weeks. He's the exception to the rule in TB land!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

How sweet! My next ideal horse will be a chestnut with a big blaze... and socks preferably.
    Are you looking to sell? lol jks.

Your horse is soooo cute! Congrats! And congrats for joining the barefoot club! I love it. My horse is barefoot. He has never had shoes! He will be 8. His feet do not crack or wear down too much. He actually self trims so the farrier doesn’t really take much off. He has the thickest hoof walls I have ever seen and his frogs are so wide and healthy and he grows a lot of frog in which he sheds himself.
    I was at a show on Saturday. My first one since my broken leg from slipping on ice! Yeah! Anyway I was walking my horse across the gravel driveway in which he has no problem doing. My horse normally walks very slow. Someone comes up to me and says “your horse is like mine that is barefoot walking across the gravel. Ouch ouch ouch!” I was really offended! My horse walks like a slug anywhere, except when he is spooked! He walks like a slug across the carpeted ring I lesson in. its just him a slug. But the girl assumed my horse was ouchy across the rocks. Not at all. He has thick calluses over his soles which allow him to walk across rocks with no problem.
    So my trainer heard the girl and said something under her breath about him needing a set of shoes. There is no reason for him to have shoes. He gets down the lines easily, he stays sound and his feet do not crack or wear. People just assume you need shoes if you are going to jump! Its not true for every horse! I agree that a lot of horses do need shoes due to bad feet, but I think a lot of them wouldn’t if they hadn’t had shoes to start with from a young age. I read that leaving them barefoot for as long as you can develops strong healthy feet in later life.
    Anyway, I went home that day and the farrier was there and since people were saying things I had him trimmed and the farrier declared his feet to be extremely healthy and no shoes necessary. (mind you a lot of the other horses that had been barefoot for the winter were getting there shoes on for the fair weather riders!)
    I love the fact that my horse is barefoot for the reason that his feet are so healthy. And it does save a lot of money too! I am hoping he never wears shoes!!!

What a cutie! My large pony is barefoot and goes wonderfully, too.

Nice!

Select World Show Hunters?
    http://aqha.com/en/Showing/Select-Wo...ng-Points.aspx

Or the Huntfield Quarter Horse Derbies?
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hun...56212047770097
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com