The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Bill Gates Puts Down the $$$ for His Daughter in the Jumpers

If she has a FB page, we all might want to "friend" her.

Photos at the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rseriding.html

Excerpts:

Bill Gates has indulged his teenage daughter's love of horse riding by spending $1million on a rented mansion close to an equestrian festival.

Jennifer Gates, 15, was pictured showing off her horse jumping skills at the weekend during an equestrian show in Palm Beach, Florida.

The billionaire Microsoft founder was said to have signed a six-month lease on a palatial premises so that his daughter can compete in the event over spring break.

Gates then leased four, elite jumping horses for $50,000 to $75,000 each for the girl to ride. Another $50,000 has been forked out on stables along with hiring the best trainers.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Bill, adopt Meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

And that is how you buy those spiffy blue ribbons..
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

...or how you get your kid mileage/an education on a safe, made horse.

Hey, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on my kid, but I certainly don't begrudge someone who does have it spending it.

I wonder if she showed under her Mother's maiden name as she does not appear in showgroundslive data base as having shown at all??
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Reynard Ridge my thought too and Neigh-Neigh if he adopts me first I will keep you in mind.

The kid started riding early and has lots of miles on ponies and childrens horses. Yes, she has shown under another name, and if you had the security concerns they do, you might too. She is a bright girl - don't sell her abilities short.

Default Kestrel

I agree with all you said, and I imagine she is brilliant. Many of the top eq. riders are also exceptionally bright...and if they have talent, like our new national leader Reed Kessler, it is a wonderful combination.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

If she is really good, that is all that counts.
    I knew one lady that also came from some of the richest families in the country, that was mediocre with horses, but had the best teachers and horses money can buy and, more important, worked like the devil to become as good as she did and reached the top of competition from sheer determination.

Money definitely makes everything easier, but not all with money are the idle rich.

If your family has that much money, spending like this doesnt seem so outrageous.

I dont begrudge the rich spending so that children have the best trainers and horses. The only time it rankles is when the child is not committed and appears ungrateful. You know, the kind that keeps blaming the horses and trainers and are not willing to work towards becoming a better rider. Happily, it appears that a number of famous rich kids have actually used the opportunity as we all wish we could!

I see where Bill is just renting the house and leasing the horses, I guess he wants to make sure his daughter is serious about riding before investing big money on this !

There are a lot of easier ways to be idle and wealthy than show jumping. Hope she has fun, works hard, and appreciates her good luck.

The thing that cracks me up is that we keep seeing these rich famous dads from tech, movies, music -- and when they have the money, their daughters want to get on a horse. Hey, it's the same thing I would have asked for if my dad won the lottery or similar. :-)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Who is she riding with?

What I wonder is...

...will any of the horses flash the Blue Screen Of Death just before that big oxer?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    The thing that cracks me up is that we keep seeing these rich famous dads from tech, movies, music -- and when they have the money, their daughters want to get on a horse. Hey, it's the same thing I would have asked for if my dad won the lottery or similar. :-)
    Ahem. There are plenty of daughters of not-so-rich dads who wanted to get on a horse. And did. Just not in Wellington.

Ask me how I know this ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Of course, monstrpony. I wasn't saying no one w/o money ever got on a horse. I'm saying, when daddy's got $$$, the daughters ask for ponies, as reliably as gravity.

For me, there was just no way. Mom didn't drive, 2 sisters, no $$ for it. There were flute lessons, and ponies had to wait until I could pay for 'em.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Of course, monstrpony. I wasn't saying no one w/o money ever got on a horse. I'm saying, when daddy's got $$$, the daughters ask for ponies, as reliably as gravity.

For me, there was just no way. Mom didn't drive, 2 sisters, no $$ for it. There were flute lessons, and ponies had to wait until I could pay for 'em.
    I think it is in the genes.
    If you get the horse crazy gene, you spend all your life jumping around excited every time you see a horse, in books, movies, driving down the road.
    I think that horse crazy gene causes a short circuit in your brain and a hypersensitivity to anything horse related.

You may or not be in a situation where you can do anything about your horse craziness, but if you, by accident of birth, are where you can, world beware.

If you happen to be born in a family with the resources for big time horse happenings, hey, the world is your oyster.

As someone else already said, horses are not easy, you have to work very hard at being good with them, no matter what you do.
    What is facilitated with large amounts of money is the access to the best in the horse world.

I wish her much pleasure from whatever she does with her horse endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    What I wonder is...

...will any of the horses flash the Blue Screen Of Death just before that big oxer?
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    ...or how you get your kid mileage/an education on a safe, made horse.

Hey, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on my kid, but I certainly don't begrudge someone who does have it spending it.
    If I had their kind of money, I would! And certainly on ME TOO! Oh to be independently wealthy in that kind of way.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    The kid started riding early and has lots of miles on ponies and childrens horses. Yes, she has shown under another name, and if you had the security concerns they do, you might too. She is a bright girl - don't sell her abilities short.
    Better than Paris Hilton
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.