The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Stirrups for peroneal tendon injury- anything to minimize ankle pain?

It probably would have helped if I'd gone to physical therapy as directed the first time I strained (or sprained, can't remember right now) my peroneal tendon. Now I've done that one again and the one in my right ankle is starting to hurt too. I'm wondering if any of the newer/less GM-approved stirrup irons might help to minimize pain when riding. I've tried the Sprenger style flex irons and they aren't a good option for me. Anyone have opinions on other models (or their knock-offs?)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I strained/injured my achilles tendon last summer(end of August). I actually thought I may have torn it as it didn't get better with general treatment(icing, NSAIDS, splinting) I finally went to a sports medicine ortho doctor(in Dec) who reccommended stretching exercises and a week long increased dosing of Naprosyn. It helped some, but was still having pain. I had resorted to mostly using my endurance saddle with wide stirrups. I started going to a medical accupunture doctor the end of February because it was only slightly better after the stretching exercises. I went from having daily pain around 4-5, to a pain level of .5 or less. It occasionally flares up, but I use a splint when riding, and the doctor prescribed Voltaren(people Surpass). I have recently been getting back in my jumping saddle for short periods of time to build my balance and strength in my leg. My jumping saddle has Metalab stirrups which are a bit wider than many stirrup irons I have seen. They have an air bladder under the foot area and have slight flex(not as much as the Sprengers).

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I used to get ankle pain when riding, and also found the flex stirrups (I had a sprenger knock off) didn't make much difference. When I rode western I had no problems, and I rode in the same stirrup length, maybe only a hole longer. I think as the above poster said the wider stirrup you can find, the better, because you'll be able to balance your weight more easily without having all the pressure on one place. Also definitely ride with rubber pads on the bottom if you don't already.

My instructor also gave me strengthening exercises, which did help if I did them regularly.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Sometimes having a wider foot bed is better. LOVE these: Reflex Stirrups

You can still get your heel down, but with the wider bed, you don't get the severe ankle stress. Helps with the knees too. And Reflex Stirrups, unlike other wide-bed stirrups, can still be run up when storing your saddle.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Mar. 27, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I am going through this right now. I bought the fancy stirrups, but the pain always came back. The only thing that has worked is going to see a sports massage therapist and having him tape my leg with "K Tape." I couldn't recommend it more!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

http://www.mdccorporation.us/product...ups/index.html

made all the difference in the world for my broken ankle.

Contact them, I believe they offer trial pairs or seconds.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thanks everyone! ChocoMare, thanks to you particularly- I'd liked the Royal Riders wide bed stirrups, but they were just not in the price range, so it's good to know that the knock offs can still be beneficial.
    - Harry Dresden

Oo Chocomare, I like those stirrups too. At that price I may add those to my arsenal of riding gear. They are a bit wider than the Metalabs I have.

I have quite a bit of peroneal tendon damage and bone spurs sticking into the shreds that are left. The only stirrups that I can stomach are the Sprenger knock offs. The wider footbed irons makes me want to vomit and I can't walk for days if I use them.

Trial and error would be my best advice.

Glad to help. I had people tell me "Oh those cheapie plastic composite things are a waste of money." Well HMPH! on them, cuz they're lightweight and help my aching ankles/knees. Fashion doesn't compare to comfort.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have the same injury, and I've been riding in the MDCs that you can turn to 1/4 or 1/2 (at 1/2 they hang in more or less riding position, rather than lying flat against the horse's side.) For me, I have relatively little pain when my ankle is straight (and I stay away from high heels). It's twisting that hurts. So not having to twist my ankle to pick up my stirrup really helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    I have the same injury, and I've been riding in the MDCs that you can turn to 1/4 or 1/2 (at 1/2 they hang in more or less riding position, rather than lying flat against the horse's side.) For me, I have relatively little pain when my ankle is straight (and I stay away from high heels). It's twisting that hurts. So not having to twist my ankle to pick up my stirrup really helps me.
    I won't go into how bad my ankles are, it isn't pretty. These are the stirrups I use as well. They are not enough to help me by themselves though. I do not under any circumstances ride in anything other than my BOT socks. Seriously makes a world of difference. I also use wedge pads. They keep my left ankle from turning under and locking. With this combo I can ride relatively pain free and walk afterwards.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    I won't go into how bad my ankles are, it isn't pretty. These are the stirrups I use as well. They are not enough to help me by themselves though. I do not under any circumstances ride in anything other than my BOT socks. Seriously makes a world of difference. I also use wedge pads. They keep my left ankle from turning under and locking. With this combo I can ride relatively pain free and walk afterwards.
    Showjumper, what are BOT socks? I tried googling and got nothing but "boot" socks.

I'm thinking that Back on Track makes socks? Hence, BOT socks:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/back-o...cks-8682p.aspx

Stalking this thread with interest, as my peroneal tendons (bilaterally, lucky me) subluxate and catch at their whim... bad for walking, even worse for riding.

Sorry... Yes Back on Track socks
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

I 2nd the MDC. I have sprained my right ankle more times then I would like to count. Tried them while someone tried my stirrups. Turned them to 90 deg. and there was no pain. I have 2 pair now! Worth every penny to not be in pain anymore. Oh, and the Back on Track ankle brace is wonderful too. Didn't try the socks.

I'll 3rd the MDC stirrups as I have two pair of the Super Sport version and will not ride in anything else. The wide base gives me such a better area of support. Made a huge difference in how and how comfortable I am when riding.

Oh, duh, Back on Track. Why couldn't I figure that out? Thank you!

As long as we're on the subject, has anyone braved surgical repair?

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Sometimes having a wider foot bed is better. LOVE these: Reflex Stirrups

You can still get your heel down, but with the wider bed, you don't get the severe ankle stress. Helps with the knees too. And Reflex Stirrups, unlike other wide-bed stirrups, can still be run up when storing your saddle.
    Just wanted to follow up with this. I ended up going with the above stirrups as I'd liked the feel of Royal Riders, having borrowed those from a friend. For some background, last week, I took a lesson in Fillis irons, hurt after 15 minutes, should have gotten off then, and the only reason I didn't limp for the next three days is that I was equally lame in both feet. Hurt like a you-know-what though. Today I took my guy on a trot around the farm and did some hill work. No pain at all, got off and walked normally, feel like I could go run a few miles now. These things are great! Adjusting to my foot position in them is going to be a little interesting because I don't feel I can get as anchored in them as I can in a different iron, but I'll take that if it means I can walk after.
    - Harry Dresden