The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Sending off my horse - stressed!

Just needed to vent for a minute - getting ready to move my horse to a sales barn. Have no concerns about the new place, but I'm just trying not to start crying at the thought of not being able to see her every day at the barn. I feel a bit lost......I know she needs to get a different job and a different momma, but why does this have to be so darn hard??!!!!

It's not even like this horse and I get along really well - a lot of times, she's a putz and I want to strangle her! But then the sappy part of me keeps remembering her as a baby, and all the goofy things she did, and I just about lose it.

Sometimes this horse stuff really sucks, you know?

Last edited by altertomyalter; May. 1, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

Awww, hugs!

I felt the same way with a horse I sent off to get sold. I remember dismounting after one of my last rides on him (maybe the last one?) before I sent him off. I hugged him and started to cry and thought "But he's my horse!"

However, selling him was the best choice for him and for me. He got to go to another owner who loved him for who he was and I got to buy a horse much more suited for me. He was the first and so far only horse I've sold. But letting go is always hard.

Thanks....it doesn't make it any easier that I don't have another horse right now (have to sell one to buy one), so I kind of feel like odd man out at the barn right now too. I'm used to going to the barn three or four nights a week, and now I'm looking at the next couple of days wondering what the heck I'm going to do with myself. Kind of feel like the kid at the party without a toy.....

Overly dramatic? Probably, but it's eating away at me a bit right now. Add to that the fact that horse shopping appears to SUCK right now (seriously, people actually expect to sell horses with the videos they post?), and it all adds up to one very bummed horsey person at the moment....