The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Custom and semi-custom boots

I'm told that Konigs are the best of the best. For those who can't bite that bullet, what is "good"?

Don't talk to me about off the shelf boots, they don't fit me! I'm interested in semi custom and full custom Petries specifically. How long would they last (well cared for and resoled), any feedback? What about Dehner, vogel, etc???
    If forwards doesn't work, go sideways!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Since the price is the same, go full custom and get a pair of Vogels. (I prefer them, other people prefer Dehners.)
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

I've bought a pair of semi custom Petrie's about 7 years ago. They were then only $50 more then their off the shelf boots!!
    I mostly wear them for lessons, shows and clinics, but they still look like new!

Dehner gets my vote - I have a custom pair that is going on 14 years now and I baby them and they look like new. I also bought a pair from ebay - someone else's customs that fit decently - I abuse these boots - walk XC in them in wet grass, took them hunting in Ireland 4+ hours in the drenching rain etc. They are still looking pretty good and nearly 20 years old.

A friend just got a pair of Der Daus - she was worried Dehner wouldn't be stiff enough - and she loves them. My dress Dehners are pretty stiff, but the Konigs are the stiffest.

Thumbs up Petrie

I have a pair of Petries that are at least 12 years old, probably older. I broke down and had zippers put in a few years after I got them. I believe they are to 7000s. They've been resoled once. I really like them and they come in a multitude of sizes. Plus if you get boots without zips and add them, you can customize the fit even more. Saving my dollars for a new pair so I can have a pair for show and schooling. I used the pair I have for both and they still look great. I've also taken very good care of them.

I used to buy the Konigs--and liked them very much--but I found the Petries to be much less expensive and just as good a fit with as long a life span. Even with the shipping charges, you can save money by purchasing them overseas.

I have had good luck with Divoza.

http://www.divoza.com/english/collec...ding-boot.html

These two companies also sell Petrie boots:

http://www.equusukgroup.co.uk/footwear.htm
    http://www.germantack.com/8.html

THANKYOU!

Someone suggested a site, in denmark I believe, for Petrie's. I can't find it- suggestions???? I'm red eyed, stiff necked, and have looked at a gaziliion sites and the one that I want I can't find!

Why not just contact Petrie & ask for the Denmark dealers?

(google does not "carry" commercial entities for free, if the company is not paying for Google service, they will be "missed" by the search engine)

I also bought my Petrie Olympics two years ago from Kitty at German tack (link above) getting them semi-custom. She did a great job helping me size them properly.
    I love these boots, they are really comfortable and look great. The only problem I've had is that I've had to replace the zippers already, though I have to admit I haven't been great about keeping them clean.

Oreobob, the zippers never hold up for very long because of the friction. I ordered a pair of boots with zippers. The zippers were plastic and sewn in using cotton thread. When they wore out, I had them replaced with a metal zipper and nylon thread. That combination held up much longer.

I have a pair of off-the shelf Petrie boots that are my "daily abuse" boots. I've had them for going on 13 years (wow.... now I feel old).
    I have replaced them with a custom set of Dehners (because I do try to 'buy American') that I plan to use for 'special occasions' - shows, clinics, whathaveyou.

Then I found a pair of used custom Dehners that I plan on using as my daily boots when I retire my petries. When I called Dehner to double check the measurements, I found out these boots are from 1939!!! I guess Dehners can last if properly taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    I used to buy the Konigs--and liked them very much--but I found the Petries to be much less expensive and just as good a fit with as long a life span. Even with the shipping charges, you can save money by purchasing them overseas.

I have had good luck with Divoza.

http://www.divoza.com/english/collec...ding-boot.html

These two companies also sell Petrie boots:

http://www.equusukgroup.co.uk/footwear.htm
    http://www.germantack.com/8.html
    Suzy - how do you know what XHE, XLW, etc. mean?
    Now in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by amm2cd View Post
    Then I found a pair of used custom Dehners that I plan on using as my daily boots when I retire my petries. When I called Dehner to double check the measurements, I found out these boots are from 1939!!! I guess Dehners can last if properly taken care of.
    Wow, those boots are gorgeous!
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt