The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Butet knee rolls repaired by Beval. Anyone have theirs done?

I just got my used Butet in the mail today (SOOOO excited! ) It does need the knee roll leather replaced as one side has a small worn hole in it. I contacted beval, they charge about $440 for replacing both sides.
    I'm incredibly OCD about symmetry in general, and especially the condition of my saddles. I have seen some butet's with replaced knee rolls and the stitching wasn't redone as neatly as the original stitching (curved stitch line that isn't perfectly parallel to the edge of the flap). This bothers my OCD self! And makes me nervous to have mine done! I don't know which saddler did the repairs in the photos I've seen, so I don't know if it was repaired by Beval or not.

So, long story short....has anyone had their knee rolls repaired by Beval?
    Have pics of the re-do by chance?
    Were you happy with the quality of the repairs done by Beval?

Thanks!!

I had the same issue with my Butet. The leather got worn and ripped on both padded flaps. I took it over to the Beval leather repair guy at a show, and he quoted me $480 to repair. At that time this expense was certainly not in my budget, so I just ignored the tears for quite awhile.
    When my budget allowed, I looked into other options for repair. I ended up finding a local cowboy-type to do the repair. He used a slightly lesser quality but much more durable leather, and it ended up looking great. The stitching matched the rest of the saddle, and I'm sure that the more durable leather will hold up so that I will not need to have this done again. It looked great. And the cost? $275

My trainer had the calfskin on both knees on her Butet replaced at Beval and they did a superb job, it looked like new (cost like new also ).

If you are that OCD (and I understand, I am the same way), I would rather spend the money for a great job which Beval will do. I don't have pictures but based on what they did on my trainer's Butet I would highly recommend having them do it, she was more than pleased, despite the cost.

The seat of my Butet and both knee pads were replaced by Bevals - beautiful workmanship. You will absolutely pay a premium at Bevals, but you will get a premium job or they will fix it to what you want.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875