The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default comfortable, inexpensive saddle for LD rides?

Does anyone have suggestions for a saddle that I might be able to find inexpensively, perhaps used, to start limited distance riding? Tight budget as this is perhaps the 4th or 5th discipline down the list that we participate in

The horse has not historically been hard to fit - he takes a standard/medium tree saddle in Pessoa hunt saddles and a Passier dressage saddle. He has prominent but not "shark-fin" withers. I am 5'9" with a long leg and am most comfortable in an 18" close contact and an 18.5" dressage saddle.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you have a saddle now that works, just use it. You can add a sheepskin cover to most to help make it more comfortable. Padded bicycle shorts may also help!

I just ride in my Stubben dressage saddle. Its comfy, fits both me and the horse so that's what we go with. If we do longer rides, I may add a sheepskin cover to it, but maybe not.

I've also ridden in my Stubben jump saddle. It got the job done, but wasn't as comfortable as the dressage saddle. If you do want to get a saddle specifically for this, Stubbens fit a lot of horses and they're cheap and easy to find used on eBay.

Agree with the above posters. If you have a saddle that already fits you and the horse, just use that. I use a VSS-style AP saddle for endurance and I actually prefer it to a few of the endurance-type saddles I've demo'd, so I've just stuck with it. Fits me well, fits the horse well, that is all that matters. (If you are thinking you need an endurance saddle because of the added d-rings, you don't. English saddle packs attach to the saddle using the saddle billets, and you can use d-ring savers if you want to attach a breastcollar).

The one thing you may want to invest in is a really good saddle pad. I prefer natural wool/fleece.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post

The one thing you may want to invest in is a really good saddle pad. I prefer natural wool/fleece.

I prefer to have at least two saddle pads on hand so I can switch one out at the hold for a clean and dry one.

For LDs, I just use my normal TuffRider pads with a ThinLine pad over them. That setup seems to make my horse the happiest of anything I've tried so far. That little ThinLine pad seems to make a world of difference in the way he moves just in general.

That setup seems to make my horse the happiest of anything I've tried so far.
    Great minds think alike. I actually use a Thinline inside a Toklat Woolback...my mare has a very sensitive back and I agree there is a difference when using the Thinline.

Funny, I bought a Thinline pad and have seen absolutely no difference. I'm trying to sell it now because it seemed so underwhelming!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Quote Originally Posted by didgery View Post
    Funny, I bought a Thinline pad and have seen absolutely no difference. I'm trying to sell it now because it seemed so underwhelming!
    My Arab moves much more freely with it than without it. I also find it much more comfortable to do stuff like sitting trots with it than without it. FWIW, my saddle is an extremely close contact old Stubben. I've noticed people who ride in newer style, more heavily padded (either the panels or the flaps/seat) saddles seem to not see as much of a difference with them.

Which one/how much because a friend of mine is looking for a deal on one for her boy who tends to have back issues so she can quit using mine. It makes a big difference for her horse also. I think she wants just one of the plain thin ones like mine.

Thanks for the input! This does help a great deal, because the saddles we already have do fit him and are comfortable for me as well. I suppose we're set

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    Which one/how much because a friend of mine is looking for a deal on one for her boy who tends to have back issues so she can quit using mine. It makes a big difference for her horse also. I think she wants just one of the plain thin ones like mine.
    Check your PMs.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives