The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chasing geese off a pond

My parents just moved into their new home, on 40 acres On the property there is a decent sized pond in the middle of a large, flat grazing land. This, of course, attracts geese. My parents want them gone. The problem is, my parents don't have the time or energy to spend on chasing them away everyday. I'm in college, but I come home on the weekends and have been chasing the geese away. Do they need to be chased off every day to stay away? it seems that after they get chased away, they don't come back until the next day. If I scare them of friday, saturday sunday, and my parents chase them away once during the week, will they leave?
    Eventually I'm hoping to teach my dog to 'get the geese' so my parents can just take him to the edge of the yard and let him do the work, but that will take time and we want them gone before they start nesting!

there is a Border Collie on Giveawas in MI that wants to be a farm dog.

Hard to dog chase geese off of water all the time.

If they really hate geese that much...they can try to relocate an otter family there. (if the pond has enough fish, frogs and turtles for otter food)

Otter are otterly fun to watch. However...as adorable as they are and playful and all that...they can be vicious as hell if you muck with them. Usually they're not an issue though.

Why do they hate the geese? Crapping in the grass?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My ducks (wild) seem to have gotten rid of the geese that were thinking of taking up residence. One day last week, I had wild ducks, geese, and turkeys all in my front yard, plus my chickens. I think I should apply as a foul refuge, lol.

My dogs very effectively chase them off too. A donkey, maybe?

Yep, everyone wants to move to the country... and then change it.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

A major reason that this pond is attractive to geese is that it has open grass around it. They can spot a fox or a raccoon or other preditor a mile away.

Planting shrubs and tall forbs around the pond makes it much less attractive to therm.

But really, getting a border collie to harass them daily would work best.

Basically I agree with JoZ, but here is how the local parks are getting rid of the geese. They are placing life size silhouettes of what is supposed to be a coyote here and there in the parks. They are plywood, painted black with stakes to drive them into the ground. They seem to work.

I second the motion for 'border collie'. Ours does a brilliant job of chasing the geese off. I love geese, just not what they do to a pond. They can really contaminate the water (1.5 lbs of poop per bird, per day), and they destroy the edges by pulling grass out that allows for erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Yep, everyone wants to move to the country... and then change it.
    You will not find a bigger nature enthusiast than my dad. He's already planning the locations of different types of bird feeders and houses to attract the most number of species possible. He bought the land for hunting (mostly deer, also turkey) and would love to hunt the geese too. He also owns another 60 acres of wetlands for duck/goose hunting. If there were a reasonable number we'd let them stay, but the pond is not nearly big enough for the 50+ (emphasis on +) geese. He plans on stocking the pond for fishing, and we want to let the dogs swim in the pond. 50+ geese x 1.5lbs of poop a day is The entire lawn is covered in goose poop.

It sounds like I need to get working on our dogs geese chasing skills. He's 1/2 border collie 1/2 hound, so he definitely has good chase drive. He's catching on quickly, I'll keep working on it. Now if I could teach him to stop gorging on goose poop!

Get a snapping tutle.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    He bought the land for hunting (mostly deer, also turkey) and would love to hunt the geese too.
    One of my previous BO's had several ponds on his property, which also attracted unreasonable numbers of geese. I'm not sure what your local ordinances say about such things, but he looked into it and found that his geese qualified as a nuisance, and it was perfectly legal for him to shoot them regardless of the season.

So hunting the geese may actually be a viable option for him.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Border Collies NEED JOBS to keep their agile brains from INVENTING trouble! While herding the geese may work for a bit, he may work himself out of a job and THEN he will get into trouble.

Geese eat grass, so any mowed type grass around the pond is food. One reason geese LOVE golf courses.

Along with getting your pond geese declared a nusiance and shooting them, the sillouettes might be helpful with some aid from your dog now and again. They are spraying the eggs to prevent hatching in some locations.

Another idea is getting a pair of Swans, with clipped wings for the pond. They are plain NASTY and will actually stalk to kill other water fowl, baby birds peeping, that are "in their territory" so there is no one to compete with them around the pond.

Even clipped, Swans are a good fighter for coons, other predators in that bare area around the pond. For a really large pond, a couple Pairs might be needed to drive off the Geese and ducks.

Know going in, that Swans WILL come after you, can hurt you badly with wing blows if YOU get in their territory too! You will need to carry a weapon like a shepherd's hook to pull their feet over or large fishing net with a long handle, to swing over them for containing them when you want to walk the fields.

Swans CAN be managed, but you have to be proactive to avoid problems. People have been keeping swans for years, you would just need to look around for advice. You just have to be aware that even "tame" ones get very defensive when mating and nesting, protecting their young.

Swans sell for pretty good money, so any young could be captured to trim wings and resold before they Pair Up the next spring. Seems like they mate for life.

Trimmed Swans would probably be less work than an over-active dog, should stay close to the pond and away from the house to avoid trouble.

Kind of an off the wall idea, but something to consider.

If your in the Philadelphia area I'll eagerly bring my dog to chase them off! It's her favorite hobby. She'll chase them in and out of the water until I call her away. Hard to find a pond where she's allowed to do so.

Airports have the same issues. For safety reasons they can't have the large birds flying around! They employ border collies. My understanding is the dogs have to chase the geese off daily for a few weeks and then can ween down to weekly or so. But it takes a while for the geese to change their patterns.

I would encourage you to reach out to the canine community. Put a poster in the local pet store, maybe put something on craigslist? Confirmed off-leash dogs that LOVE to chase birds!!! I would pay $$$ for the privilege to let my dog chase off your geese and I can't be the only one out there.

The USDA agency thru the NRC part of their offices may have some geese cannons, that you connect to a grill propane bottle and go Boom! every so often, depends on when you set them and that keeps geese and sandhill crane away.

When they migrate, they come by here by the hundreds of thousands, the sky gets black at times.
    They are very destructive in certain places and that is how they control them without harm.

Those birds kill the vegetation and cause erosion and when the wind blows where they scratch, the exposed dirt blows into those fierce dust storms.

The best tactic I've seen involves two people with two radio controlled model boats at either end of the pond.
    Fun for the humans, not horrible for the geese.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Can he find out if he's allowed a pair of swans? If you can manage a pair of swans.. they will get rid of the geese. Swans can be fairly territorial. I'd look into what types are native in your area and start there.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Creaghgal View Post
    The best tactic I've seen involves two people with two radio controlled model boats at either end of the pond.
    Fun for the humans, not horrible for the geese.

This sounds like the lowest-maintenance option of all mentioned so far, and the model boats won't attack you should you decide to sit by your now-goose-free pond.

There was a local golf course that installed a swan to keep the geese out of one of the big water hazards. It worked beautifully until the swan started attacking golfers.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

There are flashing lights that can be installed...which will keep them off. It was too expensive for us for a 14 acre lake. The only other reliable (other than predators) cure that I know of is running a low wire around the pond just along the shore. Which won't work if you're using the whole area for grazing. I'm not a fan of geese. They're noisy, dirty and we have a year round population because one of my neighbors thought it would be nice to feed them over a several year period. They never leave. We did get a permit to remove the eggs which might help.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default Good luck!

My neighbors had a pair of geese move onto their pond in their cattle pasture 3 years ago. They tried to capture and relocate them but was only able to catch one which, of course, immediately went back when released. Apparently they've given up. The only real problem for them is that the geese will chase their cattle away from the pond. Pretty funny to watch though.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I dunno about the swan thing. At our local park there is a lake with a pair of swans (the cygnets last year were SO cute!) AND a bunch of Canada Geee, ducks, etc. The swans pay no notice to the other birds at all . . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!