The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Iv baytril shot, length of neck swollen, why? UPDATE: BLOOD CLOTS

Just got a call from a friend who had been instructed by a show vet to give her mare 35mm of baytril via IV shot to clear up some sort of mystery skin issue. Gave 1 shot and it swelled but too much so next day gave another in opposite side. No swelling. next day first side still a bit swollen, but didn't want to give in same side 2 days in a row, so she went ahead and shot up the side still swollen. (i think that was a bad idea BTW). Now a few days have passed since mare was given anymore and the one side is swollen about like a 4" tube the whole length of her neck! Mare doesn't seem bothered by it. Why???? What does it mean? Shot given wrong or reaction to the baytril?

Mare is on route to her regular vet as I write this, but knowing my friend she won't get back to me today, so I am asking simply for my own knowledge.
    Last edited by everafterfarm; Mar. 26, 2012 at 07:39 PM.

It sounds to me like the shot was given subcutaneously by mistake--how comfortable is your friend giving IV injections? Last year I gave a horse 35cc of Baytril IV for 30 days for an infected tooth and when I finished the vein was as clean as when I started. I used a 20 ga needle--which was a pain because Baytril is pretty thick but it left a much smaller hole. . The vet should be able to help reduce the swelling with DMSO and maybe some steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Could have been extravascular, or you might have a case of phlebitis or thrombosis on your hands. Time for an ultrasound. This is probably not a trivial thing.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Could have been extravascular, or you might have a case of phlebitis or thrombosis on your hands. Time for an ultrasound. This is probably not a trivial thing.
    Agreed.

I've only seen thrombosis in horses from a poorly placed catheter and tetracycline--not to say that it isn't possible if the vein was damaged from the injection. For the sake of the horse I really hope that's not the case. Any updates?

Default Umm...

Well, it is generally recommended that Baytril be diluted and given slowly since it can be very irritating. I generally recommend an IV catheter too...

My guess is that the vein is thrombosed and isn't going to recover from this, but hopefully with some aggressive treatment I will be proven wrong.

Tell your friend to call a vet. Why was Baytril given in the first place? It's not a first line antibiotic....

Default no update yet

Have not heard from my friend yet. I'll try calling her in a bit. She is very comfortable giving IV shots, but everyone can make a mistake. I do hope it's nothing serious. This mare is not only her heart horse, but also a super talented young jumper. My friend is a pro trainer and this mare is the world to her.

Just heard from my friend. Her mare has several blood clots in that vein. Now she has to keep her heart rate under control for 2 months. If they break up and get into her heart we all know what will happen.

Oh that's terrible Everafterfam! Jingles for your friend and her mare!

How did the blood clots occur? Please keep us updated!

Any IV injection carries a risk of thrombosis (clots) but large-volume injections of thick or more caustic drugs increases that risk sharply. The lining of the vein becomes injured and inflamed and the body perceives that as "injury/bleeding" and the clotting cascade is off and running.

Wondering why Baytril is given IV? Is it not effective orally in horses and what sort of infection requires quinolones first line?

Injectable Baytril can be given orally but can cause moth sores for the same reason it can be irritating to inject I suppose. If I remember correctly the tablets are more expensive and not so tasty. I too am wondering why Baytril was the antibiotic of choice.

Can someone explain to me what will happen to the clots over time? If the horse is kept quiet for two months does that mean they could possibly dissolve?

Yes, the body can dissolve the clots, but sometimes the vein is left partially (or completely) clotted or scarred. Which is why giving IV injections is NOT a trivial matter. Horses only have a few spots for giving IV shots and they're all important vessels, close to the heart, and when they're gone, they're gone.

I wonder if they ever use heparin products or other blood thinners to resolve these clots? Vets?

Keeping the horse quiet is to prevent the clots from breaking loose and going to the lungs, not to help them dissolve.

Yes, the body can dissolve the clots, but sometimes the vein is left partially (or completely) clotted or scarred. Which is why giving IV injections is NOT a trivial matter. Horses only have a few spots for giving IV shots and they're all important vessels, close to the heart, and when they're gone, they're gone.

I wonder if they ever use heparin products or other blood thinners to resolve these clots? Vets?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I know they use them in humans with clots, but it seems to me that giving heparin to horses would be a recipe for disaster--we all know that horses were pit on this earth for the sole purpose of injuring themselves!

ANY attempt to thin the blood is simply trading one potential disaster for another. Welcome to my world.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have given Baytril IV on several occasions without issue. But I was instructed to give it very slowly.
    FWIW it was given for a lung infection and a bone infection from an injury.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I was wondering the same thing, re:
    1)why Baytril and
    2) why on earth IV?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Ghazzu..what is the recommended route of administration?
    friend of bar*ka

Well, it is used and achieves therapeutic levels IV, IM and orally, but it doesn't have FDA approval for horses, so there really isn't a labelled dose.

I'd reserve it for resistant infections any road, given the expense and the growing problems we have overall with development of antibiotic resistance.

And then only in adult horses, because there are problems with cartilage damage reported when the drug is used in immature animals in other species.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

My friend is supposed to come here tomorrow so I will ask her more questions. All I know is that the mare had some sort of skin funk that came up while she was at HITS showing so she took mare to show vet and that's what he gave her and how he told her to admin it. I thought it was extreme for a first time fix of a skin problem myself, but maybe there is more to the story? Although she never mentioned a skin problem before and I saw the mare a couple weeks before they left and she didn't have it then.

I do know mare is spending more time than normal for her laying down though the last couple of days.

Also her regular vet who diagnosed the issues as clots told her she can still ride the horse lightly just don't get her heart rate up. Does that make any sense to anyone? This is a high strung mare to begin with! I would think taking any horse even out for a walk on a trail would get the heart rate up, but I have no idea and I'm not a vet just doesn't make sense.