The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broken Big Toe. Should I Still Ride

I am one of those people who can get banged up and bruised in a padded room. Last weekend I 'stubbed' my toe walking barefoot on neighbors patio. First day, hurt lots to put weight. 2nd day, started out with just mild pain, got worse with walking, etc. 3rd day, pain milder, took longer to get wors. 4th day, seemed fine, so I went for a walk at lunch. BIG mistake. Like and idion, still ride on Thurs. In constant pain for the next 2 days. Go to the doc Friday.. big toe is broken. They tape them together, instant relief. Doc says 10-14 days before healing begins. Mild pain, but I can walk. Forgot to discuss 'riding' with doc.

My question is not whether or not to ride at all, but would you take a jumping lesson if you couldn't put weight on the inside of your foot? Trying to decide whether or not to cancel my lesson on Thurs. On one hand I feel like a wimp, on the other, I don't want to prolong the injury.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Huh. I just did the exact same thing. it was 10-14 days and healing was finished.

Ididn'tride inthe first three or 4 days, because I didn't want to rebreak it, and wanted it to set a bit. After that, I taped it, wore several pairs of socks to stablize it and protect it, put on my jods and half chaps and went back too (horse) work.

Hurts alot, but it isn't indanger of re breaking, and only hurts or is atrisk, after 11 days, if I physically tried to bend it with my fingers, so its pretty well set.. Another week, it will be done.

If you are wary of shifting the bone, don't ride for anther three days and reassess then. You will probably be ready to ride this weekend, is my guess.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I would wait. I broke a very small bone in my foot last year and couldn't ride for a while. Once I thought it was all better I re-broke it with too much activity.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Sounds like this is an ideal time to work without your irons.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Sounds like this is an ideal time to work without your irons.

If you're able to get off and on safely (remember, land on your good foot when dismounting!), riding without stirrups, even at the walk, will be beneficial! As long as you're not putting undue weight on the toe, I think you'd be okay!

I'd ride but then again I'm the same person who had a horse fall on me breaking my ankle at the beginning of a trail ride, then I got back on and rode for 3 hours, then went to the doctor. Oh and I wouldn't let them cast it because I was going to an event that night that was formal and I needed to wear heels. I'm no worse for the wear from it
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    I'd ride but then again I'm the same person who had a horse fall on me breaking my ankle at the beginning of a trail ride, then I got back on and rode for 3 hours, then went to the doctor. Oh and I wouldn't let them cast it because I was going to an event that night that was formal and I needed to wear heels. I'm no worse for the wear from it
    Ah to be young and stupid. Not for the riding but surely for the need to wear heels with a broken ankle - if it was indeed broken. I've broken my ankle several times and I sure wasn't walking on it...especially in heels. Someday you might realize that was no big deal when you were younger pipes up and gives you a bit of trouble later.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Someday you might realize that was no big deal when you were younger pipes up and gives you a bit of trouble later.
    Ain't that the truth.

Seriously people, give yourself the same care that you would give your horse, and let things heal., box rest, in hand walking, and a slow return to normal duties
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I am one of those people who can get banged up and bruised in a padded room. Last weekend I 'stubbed' my toe walking barefoot on neighbors patio. First day, hurt lots to put weight. 2nd day, started out with just mild pain, got worse with walking, etc. 3rd day, pain milder, took longer to get wors. 4th day, seemed fine, so I went for a walk at lunch. BIG mistake. Like and idion, still ride on Thurs. In constant pain for the next 2 days. Go to the doc Friday.. big toe is broken. They tape them together, instant relief. Doc says 10-14 days before healing begins. Mild pain, but I can walk. Forgot to discuss 'riding' with doc.

My question is not whether or not to ride at all, but would you take a jumping lesson if you couldn't put weight on the inside of your foot? Trying to decide whether or not to cancel my lesson on Thurs. On one hand I feel like a wimp, on the other, I don't want to prolong the injury.
    Been there, done that. Give it a couple days off and see how you feel. Your body is going to dictate what you can do. I found the more I rode and walked, the longer it seemed to take to heal. Didn't stop me though.

I would probably ride on that, however, I think your toe would heal better if you didn't ride

I broke two toes two years ago (got stomped on while putting on standing bandages for shipping- thank goodness I had boots on) and competed at a horse trial same day, and continued to ride even though it really hurt. I think it took a few weeks to feel better... So even though I would ride, its most likely not a good idea. Let it heal!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I've broken a couple of toes (well, the same toe twice, but in different places, both farther down the foot than it sounds like you have) and while I could have ridden with stirrups, the world was a more comfortable place when I did so without. It also helped me keep muscle up in my right leg (I was on crutches at the time.) Give yourself the chance to heal up.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Ah to be young and stupid. Not for the riding but surely for the need to wear heels with a broken ankle - if it was indeed broken. I've broken my ankle several times and I sure wasn't walking on it...especially in heels. Someday you might realize that was no big deal when you were younger pipes up and gives you a bit of trouble later.
    Thanks- I enjoy being called stupid. Although I will take that young part, since it happened many a year ago. You know, when I'm 80, yeah I'm might be regretting a bit of what I did to my body, but I certainly won't regret really living. "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'Yahoo! what a ride'"
    Last edited by tabula rashah; Mar. 27, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'Yahoo! what a ride'"

Ok, Here is advice from someone who is NOT a doctor. My wonderful mare stepped on my foot and broke my foot. It was the bone that is the ball of your foot so stepping on anything was really painful. They gave me one of those little styrofoam slippers with the velcro straps to wear. i knew this would not really protect my foot so....

I went to Michaels craft shop. Bought paper mache. Made a foot print shaped thing on a cookie sheet. Placed plastic wrap on top of foot print shaped paper mache and lightly pressed my foot into it to duplicate the shape of the bottom of my foot. I slowly removed the plastic wrap and baked the foot print in the oven at a low heat until it got hard. Then I rasped the edges so that it fit perfectly into the flimsy little shoe velcro thing. I wrapped my foot in an ace bandage, put my foot into the "new cast", wrapped up the velcro, re wrapped another ace on top of the whole shoe, put entire foot into former plastic cover from shavings and wrapped duct tape on top of that. Good to go for the day. I worked, rode, etc.

Thanks- I enjoy being called stupid. Although I will take that young part, since it happened many a year ago. You know, when I'm 80, yeah I'm might be regretting a bit of what I did to my boy, but I certainly won't regret really living. "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'Yahoo! what a ride'"
    That is a great thought to hold onto, the trick is not getting to the stage where your abused body will no longer obey your still bright mind.

But each to their own, you gotta do what you gotta do, but for me shoving a broken foot into high heels is just crazy......wrapping it up and going out in open toe flat sandals, hell yes, BTDT
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Default treat yourself as well as you would treat your horse

don't ride with broken bones.

seriously.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

You say you are someone that gets hurt just by breathing... (I am of the same ilk)

I would NOT ride. Not even bareback. Not even at the walk.

Why? Because the coordination to dismount and only land on your good food is tricky- you will have to override all previous muscle memory for that action. You may also cause damage to your good foot/leg/etc by dismounting on it and letting all your weight fall on it. If your dismount goes awry, you could re-injure your toe. You could fall on your butt (how would your horse feel about that? Would that cause him to spook, leading to other injuries for your or him?).

It's just 2 weeks.

At look at this as a time to groom the crap out of your horse, have spiffy spiffy tack, maybe do some ground work, and take care of things around the house that built up over the winter.

Don't ruin the next month worth of riding by getting back in the saddle too soon

PS- Just wanted to clarify that I am NOT saying the OP should or shouldn't ride just giving MHO on what I would do for myself in the same situation