The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default You May Be Seeing More Amish Families in Your Neighborhood

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

LOL, People walk up to me at gas stations when I'm filling my truck or gas cans in the back of my truck and comment that it's be cheaper for me to ride my horses. (I'm usually either covered in hay or wearing britches or both)

I laugh and say, "That's definitely not cheaper!"

Yeah it's painful to fill up a 39 gallon tank on a vehicle that gets 10 mpg...but even then it doesn't come close to feed, hay, bedding, etc and all the labor that come with it!

My horses have more noxious emissions too. At least they do every time I walk behind them.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

While a funny cartoon and it does have a horse in it, probably an OFF TOPIC DAY post.

Living with Amish around me, there is much more to being Amish then using a buggy. They are also effected by the rise in gas prices. Some Amish kids own cars & trucks until they join the church. Also some Amish have businesses that own trucks as well. They themselves do not drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    LOL, People walk up to me at gas stations when I'm filling my truck or gas cans in the back of my truck and comment that it's be cheaper for me to ride my horses. (I'm usually either covered in hay or wearing britches or both)

I laugh and say, "That's definitely not cheaper!"

Yeah it's painful to fill up a 39 gallon tank on a vehicle that gets 10 mpg...but even then it doesn't come close to feed, hay, bedding, etc and all the labor that come with it!

My horses have more noxious emissions too. At least they do every time I walk behind them.
    Not only is a horse not cheaper, you would never get where you are going using horses to get around.
    Delivering the mail by Pony Express went out of business because of that.

LOL...can you imagine it?

"Honey, why are we out of food in the house?"

"Well I was going grocery shopping...but there was this plastic bag blowing around...."

You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    LOL...can you imagine it?

"Honey, why are we out of food in the house?"

"Well I was going grocery shopping...but there was this plastic bag blowing around...."

A flat tire in the early morning is easier to fix than a lame horse.

There are some in my neighborhood that own really good moving (fast - ground covering) trotters and pacers.... it still takes forever to get anywhere.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Actually studies have shown it is less expensive to operate a horse and dray or wagon to make deliveries within 11 miles of of a business than to use a truck, especially if there are many stops involved.

Some cities and towns in Europe have switched to using horse-drawn vehicles to pick up recycables and trash instead of engine-powered vehicles.

Just wait until gas is $5 or more a gallon. People will either start walking more, start riding bicycles or learn to drive a horse for those short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    Actually studies have shown it is less expensive to operate a horse and dray or wagon to make deliveries within 11 miles of of a business than to use a truck, especially if there are many stops involved.

Some cities and towns in Europe have switched to using horse-drawn vehicles to pick up recycables and trash instead of engine-powered vehicles.

Just wait until gas is $5 or more a gallon. People will either start walking more, start riding bicycles or learn to drive a horse for those short trips.
    I would like to see those studies.
    First, I wonder if they were calculating with $16.5 a bale.

Bringing up Europe in this is not relevant, as the distances traveled there and their public system is light years away from how and how far we get around in the USA.

What some recent studies reported was that humans in general use much less resources the more concentrated they live, in crowded cities the least.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I drive 100 miles a day to get my daughter to and from school. There is no way I would do that in a buggy!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"