The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb Color experts - Which tests should I order?

I'm looking into testing my mare's coat, to see what she might produce in terms of color.

My question is, what tests should I order?

She is a chestnut with Bend'Or sports and a couple of whites as well.

The tests available are:
    Red/Black factor
    Agouti
    Cream Dilution
    Silver Dilution
    Pearl Dilution
    Champagne Dilution
    Grey
    Frame overo
    Splashed White overo
    Sabino
    Tobiano
    Dominant white
    Dun Zigozity

What breed is she?

Maybe
    Agouti

Do you have a pic of her?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

She is an hanoverian with quite a lot of tb in her (about 48%)

Without any reason to expect any of the rarer modifiers, the ONLY factor that would come into play with your mare would be agouti.

Red/black factor -- you know she has two red genes because she is red. If she had a black gene she wouldn't be red.

Being that she is red, you can't see the effects of agouti, so she may have one or two copies of it. I do find that moderately interesting to know since I am a fan of black points (bays/buckskins).

All of the other modifiers -- except for gray, if she has a gray parent and if you suspect she herself may be turning gray -- are way-out-there unlikely and not to be expected in your mare.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

The only thing worth testing is Agouti (to see if she's capable of producing a black), and that's just for color. I would do this test through Pet DNA to get brown checked. Otherwise, you'll only get A or a, no At, and you won't know if 1 or maybe both of her As are either both At (brown) or one of each.

If you want to see what she has regarding white markings, the Splash test (the 1 tests looks for all 3 testable versions) would be interesting.

I wouldn't bother with Sabino, as she'd very likely test negative, but that only looks at SB1 and there are others not testable yet.

That's it. She's not cream or champagne or pearl or tobiano or frame or dun or much of anything else.

It's almost worthless to test for Dominant White, since the test is only for 1 variety, and there are at least 13 testable ones (not publicly available) and she could even have a different mutation.

So, just Agouti (at Pet DNA) and if you're just that interested, Splash

Yep, thanks everybody!

I think I'll order agouti, splash and... silver! She could be hiding it somewhere and would be a nice surprise!

The TB breed do not carry silver so I am thinking that would be a waste of money.

Does she have dutch in her background?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

She carries hanoverian and TB only, but the Hanoverian part can be just about anything...

I know that is why I was asking if she had dutch lines.

Dutch seems to be the only WB line that very rarely has Silver
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    She carries hanoverian and TB only, but the Hanoverian part can be just about anything...
    Actually no, Hannoverians have rules regarding colours -they do not accept dilutes or patterns. Although back in the day there were horses referred to as "Hannoverian Creams" so they were there at one point. But now I'm pretty sure they don't accept anything other then the standard bay, black, brown, chestnut and grey. Holstein is the same.

Actually, I know of two SPM who are palominos, so a diluted color. They accept dilutes, not patterns ("cow horses" as they call it in Germany). It is very rare though.

Silver COULD hide, but it would be pretty rare in a Hano or some of us color geeks would have seen it by now

What exactly is her breeding? If either parent is full TB, you can rule that one out as a Silver carrier. But of both are a WB/TB mix, then knowing who they are would help.

The only real way Silver could be hiding in the WB side is if it's been passed down through chestnuts.

The has lots of TB, but only from the second generation back (both her parents are hanos, father is brown out of a bay and a chestnut and mother is chestnut out of a chestnut and ?).

Names??? Pictures?

Silver would be highly unlikely to hide in a black-based horse. It might not look silver to those who haven't seen minimal silver, but it would be relatively easy to find for those who have.

It hides well in chestnuts, but again, some who have seen tested silver chestnuts might be able to see the tell-tale clues (and it's often the feet, they look a bit mottled, like an appy's feet)

1 members found this post helpful.