The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Would you be interested?

I am trying to see if it would be worth it to offer him for sale.

So....in theory:

11 yr old Light Warmblood/TB X

was a successful Prelim eventer but he is not very bold and it is not fair to keep asking him to compete at that level when he does not enjoy it. He is great on the ground and super easy to have in the barn. Can be turned out with all sorts of horses. Very easy to get round and very forward mover.

First show this year scored 86%+ at training level (only level offered at this show with a probably generous judge). Solid through second level (shown at schooling shows), schooling third would be great FEI Junior mount with some work. Great feet and very sound. No vices.

Did have minor tear in high suspensory in front but was given a year off and very carefully rehabed. Has jumped through 4'+ and perfectly sound.

Would you be okay with his history if he was sold as a dressage horse? What would be a price range that you would look at him in? Obviously that would vary depending on location, he is located in the Pacific Northwest if that changes anything.

Here in the NE, because he isn't showing/hasn't shown rated shows, but has the schooling to start doing that, I'd pay around 6000 for him. I would consider that I would be getting a sound horse with a good mind and good basics to start showing. Because he isn't working up the levels, I don't know how far he would go, so he can't be sold, not to me, as a high level horse, but depending on how he moved as a potential.

If you were showing him 1st and second and he was gettitng good scores and he was working on colletion his price would be more.

Yes. 6k to 8k depending how he vetted.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

It would be helpful if there was a recent current ultrasound. Also, scores at schooling shows only do not have as much credibility as rated shows. However, a very good video showing that the horse is trained and proficient at the level advertised goes a long way....as someone looking far and wide for a "second level" horse I will say that I viewed over 50 videos and they were ALL bad--not correctly represented except maybe one or 2. And those had OTHER issues as to why I did not pursue.
    Another thing..it is very expensive to ship from the PNW, so that can affect marketability as well.

Take him to 2-3 shows and do at least 1 1st and 2nd level test each. Research your judges to make sure you don't get one of those "no body gets over a 63 unless theyre Olympic bound" (Ive show for one once, show high point was a 59, and one of the horses that showed was top 3 in the country at year end for HOY, and multiple went on to win regionals, so it was not a collection of the worlds 40 worst horses).

Even though he is solid at 2nd, you'll want to do 1st as well in hopes of getting some killer scores. 74 at 1st and 66 in 2nd level debut sounds more promising than just 66 at 2nd. A high score, regardless of level will catch attention.

Then, put up an ad with photos and a video from on of the tests. Make note that he is a very experienced show horse with a record through prelim in eventing (and for person who considers this horse to have no show record, he's probably done 20-30 shows to get to where the op says he is, doing a dressage test each time). Note that his career change is because he's not brave enough to move on and really loves his dressage work.

What are his eventing scores? does he have sub 30 scores you can translate into a percentage and put in his ad? If not, I'd skip I because most dressage people dont realize how much harder scoring is at prelim events; they often think it is scored like 1st level.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    What are his eventing scores? does he have sub 30 scores you can translate into a percentage and put in his ad? If not, I'd skip I because most dressage people dont realize how much harder scoring is at prelim events; they often think it is scored like 1st level.
    No need to translate if you have video

Ps I would not put that he had a suspensory in the ad if he has been jumping 4' courses for a year or two afterwards. You'll drive of people before they even hear the story or how he's doing.

Now, if he hasnt competed since the injury, I would expect you to be open about that and price accordingly.

Since he's done the 4' jumpers, consider selling him as a jumper. If he is clean 9 out of 10 rounds and is not to difficult at 11 he'd be valued above 50k, more if he has style and movement to go with (eq horse).

My ex eventer with double suspensories won a regional eq final at 14 and I was offered 6 figures for him with the injury history known! But he could take anyone around a 3'6 course and make them look good.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    No need to translate if you have video
    Lol, true! But lots of people like to see some consistency in the ring and not just a video of schooling at home or one test. He doesnt currently have a usdf show record, so this might be his best bet until he does.

True, but if he has great movement even on video, market price will be rather more than the 6-8K suggestions.

Make sure his video performance is not limited by the rider but shows the potential of the horse.
    Good conformation shots are also important.