The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Maiden Mare Culture Dirty

My friends maiden mare is being sent to KY to be bred. She is caslicked and her hyman is intact. The vet went in for the culture, the mare flinched and he thought he was going to get kicked so he pulled his arm out, went and got the tranq with the glove and the culture swab STILL in his hand. Came back, gave the mare the shot still with the same glove and culture swab, and then cultured the mare, never getting a new glove or culture swab. The culture is coming back as having a growth on it. Is it possible for the mare to be dirty or is this the fault of the vet? She is going to get recultured in KY. But should my friend be asking for her money back from this vet? The culture was $170.

I'm confused. Why is she caslicked?

She is an OTTB came off the track in November. Every OTTB mare I have gotten off the track has been caslicked.

I can't say if the culture is accurate or not due to the possible contamination or not which means it has to be repeated. Whether or not she has to pay for the second culture would be a question I would pose to the vet.

She is having her cultured by a different vet in KY instead of this vet here. The cost is just too much here. I guess pending the results of a 2nd culture by the next vet will determine whether the 1st vet contaminated it or not. Just curious if this is common practice for a vet to not change gloves and risk possible contamination.

Default Maiden or virgin

She may have been a wind sucker right? That can lead to contamination..Also, is it possible she got covered by a gelding or small colt when she was young and no one realized it? The culture results should point toward the source. Good luck.

Vet should have re-grouped and changed everything. He should have known better than to try to do this without drugs on board. Silly vet, expensive lesson for customer.
    Just us, but we drug all the mares. Makes life easier for everyone. And YES, I KNOW, some farms do not do that. I am just saying what WE DO. Our mares are happy campers and do not think twice about coming in to be palpated (or whatever).
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    My friends maiden mare is being sent to KY to be bred. She is caslicked and her hyman is intact. The vet went in for the culture, the mare flinched and he thought he was going to get kicked so he pulled his arm out, went and got the tranq with the glove and the culture swab STILL in his hand. Came back, gave the mare the shot still with the same glove and culture swab, and then cultured the mare, never getting a new glove or culture swab. The culture is coming back as having a growth on it. Is it possible for the mare to be dirty or is this the fault of the vet? She is going to get recultured in KY. But should my friend be asking for her money back from this vet? The culture was $170.
    And this is why you should always, always, always request a cytology be done in conjunction with a culture. It "is" possible the mare is dirty, but without a cytology, there is no way to know if it was a contaminant - which in this situation is highly likely - or the mare actually is carrying a pathogen . Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Thanks Kathy! Vet reported today that it is a low level bacteria growth that won't affect breeding? I hope I am saying that right as I am repeating it. She is getting something in the mail today/tomorrow that will confirm whatever it is.