The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Poisonous Plants?

My question is how poisonous and how likely?

As Spring arrives I am looking at my backyard gardens and considering what I could plant. Going through the "poisonous to pets" lists leads me to believe almost everything I have or could plant is poisonous!

I have two 20# dogs that have a fenced in yard. They are only out when I am home - they are mostly inside pets. I check on them but dont watch them constantly.

I suspect the difficulty is in knowing which plants dogs are likely to eat and which have serious consequences (as opposed to mild intestinal problems, etc)

I have always had Hydrangeas and hostas and both of those make the list. It looks like azaleas are more dangerous and concerning, correct?

What is a reasonable source of information to understand which plants should absolutely not be in the yard with dogs as opposed to those that shouldnt be eaten but are unlikely to cause major issues?

I did a search and came up with the list on the SPCA website.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

What we did, was picked plants that we liked, then looked them up on the list.... tedious but since we are first time dog owners, and know nothing about plants we thought it was the best thing to do....

I wouldn't drive yourself crazy with trying to have only non-toxic landscaping. A lot of the plants which are listed as toxic are only mildly toxic, and they taste nasty too. Chances are a dog is going to go find something else to chew on before ingesting a dangerous amount. I wouldn't worry about azaleas, hostas, or rhododendrons. I've never known anyone to poison a dog with them.

I do avoid morning glories, foxgloves, and any kind of night shades in the doggie areas of my yard. Aside from the toxicity, their stems don't recover from playful dogs gamboling through the flower beds. Having delicate plants around dogs is a waste of money.

I agree with not driving yourself crazy. I LOVE narcissus/daffodils, & know that they're poisonous. Even the deer won't eat them. But I still grow a lot of them. And my dogs (& cats) couldn't possbily be less interested in touching them - even when they're in vases in the house. Same for my Amaryllis houseplants. And I also have azaleas, rhododendrons, yew bushes, etc., etc. No one is interested in them either (well, except for the deer. . . .).

I'm not saying throw caution to the wind - just be aware of what's going on when planting new things, & try to keep well-known fatally toxic plants (Foxglove, Monkshood, Nightshade family members in general) either off your list entirely, or well away from your dogs' enclosure.

Oh - edited to add that this advice is definitely dependant on the age of the animal. I trust puppies & kittens with NOTHING, as they'll try anything once. And sometimes once is all it takes.
    Last edited by Bacardi1; Mar. 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Addition to text