The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 1994 Trail-Et vs. 1999 Hawk - ?

I currently own a 1994 Trail-Et New Yorker (bp with dressing room). A friend has a 1999 Hawk (bp with dressing room) for sale, that I have the ability to purchase if I'd like.
    Big question - STRUCTURALLY speaking, which is the better manufactured trailer? I know that newer is NOT always better. Just because the Hawk is newer and prettier, doesn't necessarily mean it would be a wise decision to but it.

Would love some viewpoints!
    Cindy

They are essentially the same designs made by the same people the same way.

You're golden either way. If you WANT the newer trailer, go for it...otherwise the Trail-et is just fine. Mine is an '87 and looks perfect.

Mali - the 94 Trail et is more likely raw steel framed instead of galvanized - there was a Trail et that only had a 1" rear tube header frame and gussetts ( wings ) on the rear rather than a 4" tube rear frame ( not sure which you have ) / Hawks wall seams would be finished out rather than unfinished, the Hawk floor would be #1 grade rather than #2 grade - how well both have been cared for would make a difference
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grinanride View Post
    Mali - the 94 Trail et is more likely raw steel framed instead of galvanized - there was a Trail et that only had a 1" rear tube header frame and gussetts ( wings ) on the rear rather than a 4" tube rear frame ( not sure which you have ) / Hawks wall seams would be finished out rather than unfinished, the Hawk floor would be #1 grade rather than #2 grade - how well both have been cared for would make a difference
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers.com
    I know my bff had a '95 Trail-Et New Yorker, and there were noticeable differences in construction between hers & mine. My inner wall is full steel the entire way up to the the celing juncture - while the steel in hers stopped at the windows. The ramp on mine was larger - i.e. higher and had more supports than hers. I replaced the floor, and the plywood in the ramp, so that is a mute point from a factory-build standpoint.
    So the 99 Hawk would be built on a galvanized steel frame?
    Cindy