The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeding decisions & the market...

As per this Eurodressage article breedings are down in Germany.

Is anyone 'sitting out' this year?

If you are breeding for more than your own next personal horse (resale, etc), what is your target market/demographic/discipline?

Not trying to start any great debates or drama - just curious!

No - not sitting out at all ... we're moving forward and adding mares to breed all the time ...

Have my 2 main mares that I will be breeding to my own stallions this year, plus have a new mare coming in today that will be bred to my Guaranteed Gold stallion and am looking at buying one more mare to add to the herd to breed to one of my guys - probably the Panoramic stallion

One of my mares - her foals would be targetted to the Conformation Hunter market, another would be targetted to the breeding market and the other 2 mares probably to the Hunter Derby / Jumper markets

I am probably going to have my best breeding year ever with the Guaranteed Gold stallion and am VERY pleased with the response and bookings thus far to Panoramic (who is new to me since last October so havent gone through a breeding year yet with him)

I am optomistic that the in utero's and foal sales will go well also for 2012 foals and beyond

From what I can tell so far, we are moving ahead and gaining ground in a very positive and decisive manner ...

Sitting out after 25 years, I have leased out a Fabriano mare whose half sister produced the Reserve Champion in the 2008 300 day test for riding. I did purchase a foal last year for next to nothing (jumper lines) to hold onto. Makes no sense to be breeding, horses are luxuries and are being given away. Every farrier, dentist and vet are called very frequently for homes that people want to unload horses. Potomac Md. was the horse capital of the world years ago, now there are few horse properties and only poor riders. The WB are selling best to those who can't ride or train and Tb are headed to slaughter. Pathetic situation.

Its a funny (strange?) situation overall ...

I was speaking with a breeder in the Southern States yesterday who also stands her own stallions and she said the breeding are definately down this year but the sale are up

One of the trainers she uses for her youngstock said he had a heck of a time finding a Low A/O Jumper and finally got the deal done. The client had a budget of $150,000 and they couldnt find anything in that price range they were happy with and they didnt want to go above that mark.

So for her - the actual breedings are down but her sales of youngstock (just backed and starting to show - or not - 3-4-5 year olds are up)

Sitting it out. My market has disappeared. It sucks but there's no sense in producing foals, keeping them for 4 years, putting training into them and then being offered a fraction of what they cost to raise.

I have not gotten the link up and running to read so I apologize if this is explained but I am curious why are breedings down this year in Germany--If it followed US trends it would seem they would have been down for several years --but is it conditions unique to Germany such as the Greece bailout, Euro crisis etc? (Or is it too many excess young horses finally building up in the market because of the world down turn for several years?)

Sales are slowly picking up so we will start breeding again. I have already sat out the past few years with the bad economy. The last foals that I bred on purpose are now coming 4 year olds. We did have the 2 oops foals from the Escaped Stallion Incident the previous year...so Junior did get his test foals on the ground (bwa ha ha). Those 2 foals/now yearlings: I still have one and sold one. We did sell 4 horses in the past year and a half (1 yearling and 3 under saddle horses).....so the "sale horse population" is now down to 2....a yearling colt and a 4 year old mare. If I breed both the broodmares I have left then it would be Annie the TB mare to Junior (White Tie Affair: APHA that is 3/4 TB....so the foal would be APHA that is 7/8 TB) and Junior's sister Lily (White Waterlily) would have to go to an outside stallion. I have 2 other 4 year old mares as well but I don't plan to breed them: 1 is for sale and 1 I am keeping for my personal riding horse.

Article indicates that this is a multi year trend, and is not specific but mentions "market conditions" and multiple factors.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I did not put any foals on the ground for three years, 2008, 2009 and 2010, but more for *me* reasons (old age, old injuries, health) than specifically the economy. My goal was to get all of my young stock sold and about half the mares before I put anything else on the ground.

That accomplished, I bred three mares for 2011 ... one mare slipped although that foal was spoken for, the second colt sold and the third foal, a filly, I'm keeping although I could have sold her probably half a dozen times.

I have four mares bred for this year (which I would like to keep as my upper limit of foals per year) and two are pre-sold.

I have two breedings 'locked in' for this year, but both are 'to keep' if they are fillies so would be pre-sold only if they were colts. I will possibly breed two more mares, which ones may depend on interest. Because of my age and health, I do need to sell most, if not all, of my foals as weanlings or coming yearlings at the latest ... I cannot keep and work with them until they are coming 3 and start them under saddle ... so my breedings are planned with that in mind.

I will say that I have had more interest the last year or 18 months than I've seen for the 2 or 3 years prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    One of my mares - her foals would be targetted to the Conformation Hunter market, another would be targetted to the breeding market and the other 2 mares probably to the Hunter Derby / Jumper markets
    Glad to hear you have a Conformation Hunter market. That seems to be a dying division in the States outside of Hunter Breeding.

I have four coming this year and plan four in 2013. The market here has picked up a bit over the past year, so hoping that trend continues.

Not sitting out either. As a matter of fact we are adding a new mare this year. That said I am very selective in my mare choice. Both my mares have superb bloodlines but more importantly fantastic show records. In breeding to my stallion I am aiming for the performance hunter ring, but wouldn't be surprised if they are successful in the jumper ring too. I have one 2013 in utero already reserved and only breed with the idea that if a foal doesn't sell it will be my next show horse.
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Talking Breeding three this year

Last year I didn't breed, the year before only had one foal. Sales here had been slow for a few years.
    Then over the summer and fall I sold all the young horses I had for sale and purchased a 9yr old proven broodmare. (Fuhler 1 x WidukindxWerther) So this year I am breeding two young maiden mares...both by Sempatico and my new mare.
    Three foals is plenty for me. Market seems to have picked up a bit here...but I am a niche market with tobiano sporthorses and tobiano warmblood foals.
    Martha
    Last edited by pinto power; Mar. 25, 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: I cannot spell!
    Breeder of Quality and Colour
    Tobiano Pinto Sporthorses
    www.jmrpintos.com

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

I most likely will sit out this year. Not quite decided yet. And TC. Wow! You know yours to come will make the conformation hunters and Derby winners? I try and breed very different lines than you. You have been breeding for quite some time- appears mostly for the color market which appears strong- what bloodlines are you using to get those "derby" or "confo" hunters?? Head me to the data and I may change gears!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    The US regular conformation hunter market is quite small. Maybe 150 horses ( or less ) show in this division each year. And the ones that I've checked pedigree info on are Euro imports.

Have your mares produced horses that have been competitive in the conformation hunters, Hunter Derby divisions or the jumpers?
    Please share their names and pedigrees and the names of their offspring that compete in these high end divisions.
    Fan of Sea Accounts

Only breeding one this year - difficult mare and would like to keep her in foal rather than take a year off and not get her in foal again. However, both from a personal and professional point of view, have seen the market pick up. Sold 2 yearlings this week ( pending vet checks), and have done more prepurchases in the last 3 months than in most of 2011.

I'm maintaining at the same level I have been breeding for the last few years.

The market seems decent enough for the type of horses I breed and appears to be getting better.

Breeding 2 like we have been. Both of our 2011 foals were sold in-utero. 1 this year sold in-utero and we have a contract for a 2013 foal. My problem is selling the 3-4 yr ready or recently started horses - not getting much interest at all
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Default Are we breeeding the right horses...editorial

Default Breeding more this year

Quote Originally Posted by Sportpony View Post
    I have four mares bred for this year (which I would like to keep as my upper limit of foals per year) and two are pre-sold.
    I've historically bred 1 or 2 mares every other (sometimes every 3rd) year b/c I wanted enough $ free to put them u/s as 3yo's w/the best trainers I could afford. That proved to be a solid business plan b/c the first 2 crops are doing so well in competition I've sold everything I've bred - including my 2011 filly when she was 3mo's old - and pre-sold 2 for next year.

So this year we'll breed both our foundation mares, import our mare from Germany (foal pre-sold) and are considering adding a 4th mare (fabulous full TB) I've had my eye on for several years. We breed for the eventing and jumper markets
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

What a great article. I especially like this quote as it is so true

In contrast, 95% of the riders are more concerned for animal welfare than a German or Olympic champion. Not the activist nor riding sport hater from extremist animal welfare groups make the life of breeders hard. The riding end-user, the committed amateur rider and horse lover himself are calling for more animal friendly licensing and breeding procedures.