The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ok so now I think I want a polo pony.

Where does one go about finding former polo ponies to purchase?

Pointers, please!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post

Pointers, please!
    I was just thinking this too! When my trusty Arab trail mount is no longer with me, I think I would like to venture into a retired polo pony world for a trail mount!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

If there is a polo club near you, contact the pro/ manager and let him know of your interest. I used to hot walk polo ponies, so knew quite a few grooms. I'd pass the word amongst the grooms that I was looking for a sound retiree and got several really nice horses that way.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I got one from NY polo club and she is wonderful. she is ( arg tb) 20 and going strong she even competed with my daughter at a local show and got 5th in year end points. in beg hunter. She has been fab on trails have taken young horses out with her for support. She even has towed some across the creeks. i cant say enough good things about her . When I first got her I did gymkania and she was awesome . She is def a good all around horse. I made a very good purchase .

Pointers, please!
    Here is a list of clubs registered with the U.S. Polo Association. http://www.uspolo.org/index.php/clubs

Contact clubs within your geographic area (look for their web pages, too, for additional contacts) and put the word out that you're looking. Ponies are most available toward the end of your local playing season.
    ---------------------------

I can really recommend this... I started to play polo and the poloponies are amazing...

I know our local therapeutic riding organization has a couple of former polo ponies.

I don't play, but I've been boarding my horse at the local polo club for over three years. The ponies level-headedness has rubbed off on my boy over the years because now he is pretty much unflappable.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

If you're near UConn, they're having an auction tomorrow.

From Polo Pony Rescue: Old polo pony being auctioned off in Connecticut...apparently no contract, no checking up, just an auction Can one of our east coast supporters go get her and give her a home?

Another COTHER says she's a very classy pony.

http://glastonbury.patch.com/groups/...il-27_e4f0cb6d
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I happened to watch the US Championship match between Zakara and Valiente yesterday afternoon. Those polo ponies are flipping amazing! Talk about athletic. The riders are no slouches either. I found it to be incredibly exciting to watch and now I'm eager to learn more about the sport. In times past it was an Olympic event, which I didn't know, and there are some people who want to bring it back.

I did notice that riders switched out horses throughout the chukkers. Does anyone know how often they are switched out or how long a horse is in a chukker? Do the horses ever jump into the spectators? I saw some moments when it looked like that could happen.

They also pointed out that the majority of the polo ponies are thoroughbreds and, as we discussed earlier, are on the smaller side. In my years on the backside I have shown horses to polo players looking for small mares.

Hi Foundationmare. Polo is about the most fun you can have on horseback, and if you look around your area, you might find a club that you can join. Unadilla, Skaneatlas and Cornell were three that I remember from my polo years (long, long ago).

In normal, lower goal play, horses play one chukker and are switched between periods. If you have to go to overtime, the horse that played first usually comes out because it's the most rested. I knew some players that only had three horses, so they would play them the first half (three chukkers) and each would then come back in the second half.

But if you're playing flat out Championship play, and you have the horseflesh, why not change out whenever there's a break in the action to keep the most horse possible under you?

Yes, in higher goal play they'll often do a horse change mid-chukker to make sure you've got all the horsepower you need for the next run!
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

Polo is an amazing sport!! I will practise tomorrow and I look so much forward to it!!!

I was a polo groom for several years after college (I couldn't afford a horse and it was the only way I could ride). I was working for amature players so the most of the horses were in their teens, very well broke and pretty safe for nearly anyone to ride. Make sure you have a good PPE because these horses are ridden hard. They're perfect for playing tag! They neck rein and are taught to body-check. Another groom and I would play tag on weekends when there wasn't a game. Lots of fun!

Pointers, please!
    You're in West Palm. That's where all the 16 goalers winter. Go to a polo match with a stack of cards with your name and phone number. Hand them out to all the grooms on the line AFTER the game.
    Prep starts 3 hours prior, and during chukkars grooms don't have time to chat.

I have an ex polo pony. He does 2nd level dressage and jumps 3'6" at 18 years old
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I'm loving this thread and wishing for more! Frugalannie, I am strictly in the spectator/fan camp and about as far removed from playing polo as a worm is to go bowling! I do have some connections in the area as one of our very special ex-racers is a polo pony for a young man who plays for Ithaca. I am going to make every effort to watch him at least once.

I can see that the ponies are incredibly responsive to their riders, but what do you mean they are taught to body check? I think I know what it means, but I'd love to know more about it. And what kind of shoes do they wear? Obviously they need traction but wouldn't want shoes to get "stuck" and not move in the direction the horse is going.

Are there ever pony/spectator accidents?

I'm going to give answers from "long, long ago" mostly because I'm interested in finding out how things have changed!

I don't recall any horse/ spectator collisions: all the matches I went to spectators were kept back about 20 feet from the edge of the field. I recall more than a few polo ball/ spectator collisions!

AIR there is a kind of keg shoe called a polo shoe that has a somewhat deeper groove that runs the center of the whole crescent on the ground contact side of the shoe. Nail holes are within the groove. Studs would be dangerous because of interfering or incidental contact as well as "sticking" the horse's foot in the ground so it couldn't pivot.

Body checking is a legal move called "riding off". A rider hitting a ball determines the "right of way", so to speak. In order for someone else to establish themselves on that right of way, or to prevent the first rider from taking the ball all the way down to the goal, it is legal to use your horse to push/ bump their horse sideways a bit. You must be going in the same general direction, contact must be made at a less than 45 degree angle (IIRC), and it really works if your horse's shoulder is slightly ahead of the other horse's shoulder. Polo IS a contact sport!

I used to ride a petite TB mare who positively lived for riding off other horses. She always made sure her shoulder was in front, and she would almost drop down a bit to get under the point of the shoulder then jump up a little. She could (and did) move any horse over no matter how stocky with her technique. And she'd make rotten faces at them at the same time.