The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gift Basket for your first horse - What should I include?

My one my close friends is getting her first horse. Now, she has no desire to show, but wants to learn different things. She had been taking basic riding lessons. She never did all the care for them, as the person she took lessons from had barn help.

Now, she is getting her first horse. And it wasn't very long ago that I got my first horse. And I clearly remember the overwhelming feeling of not knowing what I REALLY needed. So, I thought I would make her first horse ownership a little less stressful and put together a gift-basket for her.

What do you think I should include? I've already made her a business card holder and added cards from local farriers and the two closest equine vets.

She bought a halter & lead, buckets, saddle/bridle/girth/etc. And a couple of brushes, shampoo, and some treats. That is it. We're going to go shopping sometime next week and I'll help her with getting things she needs and maybe just a few wants! (She boards so doesn't need feed/hay)

So what should I include? She currently rides western. I thought about doing a gift sub to one horsey mag, too.

[I honestly wish I had a friend like me when I got my first horse!!!]
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

I'd go through one of those 'what products can't you live without' threads and pull out some of those. Things like odd yet very effective grooming tools, that you wouldn't normally think of but are sooo helpful when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by hightide View Post
    I'd go through one of those 'what products can't you live without' threads and pull out some of those. Things like odd yet very effective grooming tools, that you wouldn't normally think of but are sooo helpful when the time comes.
    No time tonight, but I will get to searching them tomorrow. I guess since they are odd, should I include some kind of spreadsheet on what there use is and how to use them as well?
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

Thinking of unique grooming tools... a lot of people like those shedding flowers... and that is the right time of year!

Will the horse have a stall? If so a stall sign migh be a neat idea... one that could have emergency phone numbers- owner, vet, farrier

I also like the magazine idea &/or a few good books that apply to horse ownership.

I think you're doing an awesome thing for your friend by putting together a gift basket!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Since this is her first time directly responsible for the horse's care, perhaps a first aid guide (like the Dr. Kellon's one) that is pretty much an at-the-scene-of-the-wound kind of reference would be helpful. First time horse owners can get nervous when faced with a first aid situation (all of as can, for that matter!).

She's lucky to have a friend like you!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

A good horse care book? A subscription to a magazine is a good idea too. Maybe one like "The Horse" that has horse care info rather then a riding dicipline.

• hoof picks - get two, they are known to disappear!
    • Sweat scraper
    • Bottle of Fly spray
    • Depending on where you live, maybe a fly mask
    • Mane/tail comb
    • And to second an earlier suggestion FIRST AID STUFF

Scroll down here for possible F.A. items. http://www.infohorse.com/equinefirstaid.asp
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Here is what I get them and their horse.

for the horse:
    a big, huge carrot with green top still on
    a huge red delicous apple
    a box of sweet lumps

for the friend:
    a pair of dotted gloves (like the gardening type) to wear during grooming
    a pocket hoof pick (the hand painted ones are festive)
    a nice mane and tail brush
    a packet of "wet ones" with aloe

Everything fits in a medium sized gift bag. Not expensive and with several small items it is like Christmas. The horse is never dissapointed either.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    Since this is her first time directly responsible for the horse's care, perhaps a first aid guide (like the Dr. Kellon's one) that is pretty much an at-the-scene-of-the-wound kind of reference would be helpful. First time horse owners can get nervous when faced with a first aid situation (all of as can, for that matter!).

She's lucky to have a friend like you!
    ^
    THIS

And some basic First Aid stuff:
    Vetwrap
    Gauze sponges - 4X4
    duct and/or bandaging tape
    Triple antibiotic ointment
    betadine or chlorhexadrine wash
    Saline
    Epsom salts
    digital veterinary thermometer
    bandage scissors
    maybe one of the non-prescriprion bute-less painkillers?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

A really good first aid kit.
    Velcro trailer/stable ties.
    Good quality fly mask/spray/rug.

If she shows, a tote or tack box to keep everything neat.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Vet Wrap and Duct Tape!

Default Cable ties ``` Hand sanitizer ```` Candy ~~~~

Cable ties ```` Double Snaps ```

Hand sanitizer ``` spray type ```

Candy !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I really like the "Horses for Dummies" books. I have 3 of them, including "Horses," "Horseback Riding," and "Horse Health and Nutrition."

Hoof picks, curry combs, mane and tail detangler, mane/tail brush (I really like the one made by Oster), thermometer, fly mask, fly spray, horse "shammies," a rub rag, etc.

Maybe a gift certificate to a tack store?

A link and screen name for the COTH forums

I would get basic meds, like tri-op ointment, desitin, betadine scrub (possibly Betadine solution too), soft mushroom brush for wound cleaning, clear eyes, koppertox, Kwik Ice packs, thermometer, epsom salts, ...

Cool THIS IS THE VERY BEST IDEA !!!!! BRAVO ~~~Fairview Horse Center !

[quote=Fairview Horse Center;6216718]A link and screen name for the COTH forums

THIS IS THE VERY BEST IDEA !!!!!

BRAVO FairviewHorse Center !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

For newbies, I like those "picture" type books that are topic specific...like the Threshold Picture Guides. They're very simplistic/not overwhelming. Good ones to start with would be:
    Boots & Bandages
    First Aid
    Manes & Tails
    Trimming & Clipping
    Lameness
    Massage for Horses
    Easy Handling
    Fitting Tack

and also...any of the UPSC Manuals!
    Cindy

Great suggestions. A good basic horse care book. For grooming I sure like my jelly scrubber curry and rubber dot mitt. And some nice brushes. Healthy horsecare. Tack wipes/leather care products (I make home made tack wipes with a little bronners soap, some water, and small squares of flannel or old t shirts that I was and reuse). And horsie treats!!!
    How fun!!! I remember doing my very first horse item shopping at age 13 with my mom (instructions- buy only what you have to have!). Rode for over a year with just a bareback pad till a saddle was in the budget. And 20+ years later when I finally got my second horse.."Whoppee!!! I'm going to splurge (within the constrains of my budget)." Your friend is lucky to have you. I wish her a great time with her new horse!!!

I got a freebie that I find really useful and would gladly
    purchase if I didn't get it for free. It is a magnetic business
    card for a vet clinic which has the pulse rate, temperature
    and respiration rate for a normal horse (and dog and cat)
    listed on the card along with the contact information for
    the vet clinic. I keep it right on the outside of my (metal)
    vet closet so all my boarders can refer to it if needed.

I also have one of those kitchen timer things that you
    can set for seconds or minutes and it will beep when the
    time has elapsed. I use it to time one minute when doing
    pulse or respiration and also use it at 3-5 minutes when
    using an old fashioned thermometer to take temperature.
    I keep the timer inside a clear plastic ziplock bag to keep
    it dry and reasonably clean. Easy to press the buttons
    through the plastic.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I have nothing to add here as all the replies have excellent suggestions for a first time horse owner. I just want to add what a good friend you are for doing this. She's lucky to have such a thoughtful friend. Wish I'd had you for a friend when I first got into horses.

Heck, I'd wish I had me as a friend when I got my first horse!!

I learned it all by trial and error. And when you make an error with your horse, sometimes it is HARD to fix. I promised her that I would answer any question to the best of my knowledge. There are still so many things that I DON'T know.

She rides western, and solely for fun. But she does want to learn to jump, so I've been looking on Amazon for a good book on jumping (any suggestions?). Dug through my books and found her one on trail riding.

ETA: She does have someone teaching her riding and working with her & her horse on the ground, so she has that down pat. =]

I got one of those really nice oblong galvanized tubs, so after she takes everything out she can use it too!

I had some things that I never used on my horses, but were still basically brand new. I may have used it once, realized that I didn't like it, and put it away. I'm putting in a brand new pair of polos that have been sitting under my bed for 3 years now.

Got her a gift subscription to Horse & Rider, and ordered a book on horse care and health and one on wound care. Got the names wrote down, but left it in the truck.

I think I may print up a nice 'manual' and put it in one of those nice presentation folders with fun tips, facts, and those need to know things. Along with maps/directions and contact info to every feed/tack/vet/farrier/instructor/trainer around here!

Also got the horse a Himalayan salt lick, sunscreen for his pretty pink nose, and even did some homemade treats!

The barn where she boards has 3 first-aid kits and are placed at each end of the barn and one in the tack/feed room.

Also added a HUGE bag of peppermints. Not only does her new horse love them, so does she!

I told her to get online and get a COTH name, but she HATES computers so if she has a question she'll come over and use mine!

We're going to drive tomorrow and check out some feed stores/tack stores and shop around. And I'm breaking out that arsenal of catalogs that are piling up on my bookshelf.

ETA: Where can I find the Threshold Picture Guides?

Now, I need another horse so I can get someone to do it for me!! lol