The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default joint injection

Anyone have any experience with joint injections? We recently took my mare for a chiropractic adjustment and ended up needing an x-ray and joint injection in her neck. The vet was very positive about her not being affected as far as performance (although it may be a maintenance thing with follow up injections). Her muscles were so sore, he did acupuncture also. Has anyone done this or have any experience with this and if so, what was the outcome?

You need to be more specific.

What kind of joint injection?

Inter-articular into a vertebra in her neck or are you talking about Adequan or Legend or Pentosan or some such IM?

What was the diagnosis which led to the injection?

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    You need to be more specific.

What kind of joint injection?

Inter-articular into a vertebra in her neck or are you talking about Adequan or Legend or Pentosan or some such IM?

What was the diagnosis which led to the injection?
    Well, initially we thought she was a head shaker but for me, things didn't add up. For instance, she actually improved with exercise (after the initial head shaking she would eventually stop after we rode it thru). She only showed the HS under saddle. As we move into warmer weather/longer days she improves. She was also becoming more and more anxious under saddle which is not like her. I thought she may have something out of whack in her back so I made an appoint with a chiropractic/acupuncturist vet. After he examined her and watched her on the lunge, he strongly believed she had something going on with her neck. In fact, when he examined her and put pressure on her neck muscles the reaction was severe. On a scale of 1-5 she was at least a 4. He was surprised HS was all she was exhibiting. Anyway, after the x-ray she had one vertebrae in her neck (the last one) that showed some calcification. He was thinking it would be more and it was mild. He then injected both sides of her neck into the vertebrae (I watched it on ultrasound) with three different things. He didn't tell me the names. I know one was an acid (like joint fluid), one was a steroid and I don't know what the third was. I have to give her a week off, one week of light riding and the third back to her normal work...if she seems ok. He did say it may need another injection in the future. Hope that helps.

OK, that's much clearer! So it would have been Hyluronic acid, one of the cortisones (vets seem to have their preferences on this,) and probably an antibiotic as the third component, just in case...

This is a standard joint injection cocktail for arthritic joints. You should expect to see some improvement in a week or so, but it can take a bit longer to fully take effect. Horses can be a bit more sore to start with having all that extra fluid introduced into the joint space. Some vets put them on bute for a few days as well to counteract this.

My experience is with hind-end joints (hocks and stifles) rather than necks, so I don't know how often you would need to maintain this. Hocks, for instance, often need reinjecting every 6 months to a year to maintain soundness.

I wonder if something like pentosan would help (do a search on here for the bazillion pentosan threads )

Let us know how it goes.

shohanna, how ironic! I just took my horse to a clinic last week for the very same symptoms. I could not put my finger on it but just knew something was NQR. After watching him on the lunge, the vet said, 'Let's start with a complete set of neck x-rays and go from there'. Turned out he has cacification of the C5 & C6 vertebrae. He was put on a 30-day dose of oral steroid (Prednesolone) which is similar to the human prednisone. I was told that they preferred to start with the lesser invasive therapy but that he may require the ultra-sound guided needle injection of steriod, etc. into the vertebrae itself if he does not respond well to the oral.

Please keep us posted as I am interested in knowing how this works out for your horse as I may be looking at this for mine down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by enterata View Post
    shohanna, how ironic! I just took my horse to a clinic last week for the very same symptoms. I could not put my finger on it but just knew something was NQR. After watching him on the lunge, the vet said, 'Let's start with a complete set of neck x-rays and go from there'. Turned out he has cacification of the C5 & C6 vertebrae. He was put on a 30-day dose of oral steroid (Prednesolone) which is similar to the human prednisone. I was told that they preferred to start with the lesser invasive therapy but that he may require the ultra-sound guided needle injection of steriod, etc. into the vertebrae itself if he does not respond well to the oral.

Please keep us posted as I am interested in knowing how this works out for your horse as I may be looking at this for mine down the road.
    Wow, he did tell me he had done three that day. They were joking it was Ground Hog Day. Anyway, I hope your guy does well. My mare is only six and I want her to have a long and happy life so I am hoping this will make her more comfortable. I only show locally on a limited basis so the most she will ever do is a 2.6 course. He seemed to think that wouldn't be any problem. I will try to post in few weeks how she is coming along.