The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breastplate for TB

I think I need a breastplate for my TB. My jump saddle fits ok with the Thinline sheepskin pad that has shims, but it slides back a bit, he's quite svelte and probably always will be, it's just his build, and doesn't really have any extra belly to keep the girth from slipping back.
    My dressage saddle fits fine, maybe it's the thicker girth- who knows.
    I have never even used a breastplate, so I have no idea how it should fit. Any ideas for one that would fit well?

Bobby's English Tack horse size.

I just purchased a Nunn Finer breastplate with elastic inserts in cob size for my TB for when we go XC. He's on the narrow side but I've never had a saddle slipping issue. You might also try a no slip pad
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

I always suggest a breastcollar. I have found a breastplate to be pretty ineffective for saddle slipping, as once you get it tight enough to actually do something, I feel like it's restricting the horse. You can get a Tory breastcollar (very durable, looks nice) with elastic from horseloverz for around $40, I've had mine for at least 3 years, it's fantastic and keeps the saddle put far better than the three breastplates I have that are now for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I always suggest a breastcollar. I have found a breastplate to be pretty ineffective for saddle slipping, as once you get it tight enough to actually do something, I feel like it's restricting the horse. You can get a Tory breastcollar (very durable, looks nice) with elastic from horseloverz for around $40, I've had mine for at least 3 years, it's fantastic and keeps the saddle put far better than the three breastplates I have that are now for sale.
    I'll take a look, I didn't even know there was such a thing!
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser12 View Post
    Thx
    Do you mean like this one EquiRoyal Polo Breast Collar

So I get that the horizontal straps go on the billets, but the longer, thinner vertical ones, do they go to the D rings? I can't quite tell, wish I could see it on a horse
    Last edited by Cruiser12; Mar. 25, 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: adding

The longer, thinner strap is really a loop of leather that goes over the horse's withers. It's just cut off in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser12 View Post
    Thx
    You found one -- although mine has elastic across the chest. The skinny strap(s) are just a single strap that goes over the crest of the neck to keep the breastcollar from slipping down.

Here's a picture of an entire one like I have:

https://rainbowsendtack.com/product%20images/Eng%20Martingales%20Breastplates%20Page%201/BP4.JPG