The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default An introduction and a question

First of all to introduce myself - I'm Holly and until last year I had a pony called Casper who I competed at Elementary dressage with (equivalent to 1st/2nd level I think). I sold him when I went off to university in September and now he's doing para-dressage at my local Riding for the Disabled group. Here he is:
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Picture9b.jpg

Now I'm horseless but I have my mum's little pony to ride when I come back in the holidays:
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Ettie/597.jpg

Now for my question...We have a pretty solid leg yield and shouler in now and are working on the travers, but what lateral move should we work on next? I've reschooled her completely but I've never ridden any more advanced lateral work and I'm a bit lost

Thanks

Start collection
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Half pass!

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Half pass!
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Half pass!
    Eeeek half-pass sounds so scary and grown up but I think you're right we're definitely heading towards it!

We've been working on the beginnings of collection but it's coming quite slowly. She's very long and a strung out type - she's only 13.1hh and wears a 5'9 rug but we are finally getting there after 2 years

Thanks for all your input

And shoulder -in to renvers.

If your travers are good, half pass will be easy.

Work on the quality of all of them. Control of shoulder=shoulder fore/shoulder in/renvers. And travers on a diagonal line=half pass. Do them on figure 8s, in all gaits (i.e. shoulder in to counter shoulder in on opposite circle, and travers to renvers (on the opposite circle).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Work on the quality of all of them. Control of shoulder=shoulder fore/shoulder in/renvers. And travers on a diagonal line=half pass. Do them on figure 8s, in all gaits (i.e. shoulder in to counter shoulder in on opposite circle, and travers to renvers (on the opposite circle).
    I'm definitely guilty of just doing movements along the long sides of the arena and not really practising transitions between them, so this has definitely given me something to think about

Thanks

You should be doing leg yields along the wall - walk first, then trot. Then try leg yields towards the arena.

You can work on square corners. Once you mast this at a walk, its fun at the trot and wait til you try square corners at the canter!

These square corners help you prepare for turn on the haunches.

You should be practicing turn on the haunches along the all, as well.

Turn on the forehand is cruicial - it teaches your horse to move his haunches. You need him to respond to your seat as well as your leg to turn on the haunches. Start along the wall, only a few steps and back again.

Practice trotting up to X and coming to a complete stop standing square.

Practice moving off a stand at X into a trot right away.

Practice the subtle difference of bend going into the arena corners (square), vs. the bend at 20 meters, the bend at 15 meters and the bend at 10 meters

Practice getting very 'gumby' with 10 meter figure eights. There should be 2 straight steps in the very middle before the change of bend.

Change of direction loops. Serpentines - there are 10 meter bends to some serpentines and 15 meter bends to others, etc.

Practice leaving the wall just before a letter and heading to another letter aiming just in front of it, so you meet the wall exactly at the letter

You need to understand the degree of bend for all the different circles and changes of direction. get instruction on this to learn how to do it correctly.

Practice downward transitions on a 20 meter circle from canter to trot, trot to another letter, and canter again, all without losing your roundness.

Practice coming from canter to trot on a circle by leg yielding to the outside of the circle at the downward transition.

Practice a spiral in and a spiral out at the trot, then at the canter. This will improve your bend as well as your straightness. Make sure you are not allowing the outside shoulder to 'pop' on the circle or spiral. this takes your outslide leg to hold the shoulder. Make sure his inside shoulder is not collapsing on the circle/bend/spiral - this entails holding him withyour outside leg and hand.

Leg yield from the quarter line to the wall. You can't do a half pass until you can leg yields. Later, try leg yield from wall to quarter line.

You need a coach to learn these correctly.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious Kate View Post
    You should be doing leg yields along the wall - walk first, then trot. Then try leg yields towards the arena.

You can work on square corners. Once you mast this at a walk, its fun at the trot and wait til you try square corners at the canter!

These square corners help you prepare for turn on the haunches.

You should be practicing turn on the haunches along the all, as well.

Turn on the forehand is cruicial - it teaches your horse to move his haunches. You need him to respond to your seat as well as your leg to turn on the haunches. Start along the wall, only a few steps and back again.

Practice trotting up to X and coming to a complete stop standing square.

Practice moving off a stand at X into a trot right away.

Practice the subtle difference of bend going into the arena corners (square), vs. the bend at 20 meters, the bend at 15 meters and the bend at 10 meters

Practice getting very 'gumby' with 10 meter figure eights. There should be 2 straight steps in the very middle before the change of bend.

Change of direction loops. Serpentines - there are 10 meter bends to some serpentines and 15 meter bends to others, etc.

Practice leaving the wall just before a letter and heading to another letter aiming just in front of it, so you meet the wall exactly at the letter

You need to understand the degree of bend for all the different circles and changes of direction. get instruction on this to learn how to do it correctly.

Practice downward transitions on a 20 meter circle from canter to trot, trot to another letter, and canter again, all without losing your roundness.

Practice coming from canter to trot on a circle by leg yielding to the outside of the circle at the downward transition.

Practice a spiral in and a spiral out at the trot, then at the canter. This will improve your bend as well as your straightness. Make sure you are not allowing the outside shoulder to 'pop' on the circle or spiral. this takes your outslide leg to hold the shoulder. Make sure his inside shoulder is not collapsing on the circle/bend/spiral - this entails holding him withyour outside leg and hand.

Leg yield from the quarter line to the wall. You can't do a half pass until you can leg yields. Later, try leg yield from wall to quarter line.

You need a coach to learn these correctly.

Good luck!
    Wow thanks that's loads of ideas to be getting on with. We've got a pretty solid leg yield down the fence and can manage from the centre line to track or from the track to centre line in our 40m arena but we haven't really done much on a circle so that's something that definitely needs work

We have lessons every week but in our schooling sessions in between times I end up getting a bit stuck for ideas and just trotting aimlessly around the arena