The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Its that time....Fly Spray

With the abnormally warm temperatures here in VA the flys have been out along with the ticks...YUCK.

I have tried so many fly sprays, store bought, home made, etc that at this point Im quite clueless on what really works and have been disappointed in those that I have tried.

Id love to know what others have been using that works. My TB is fairly sensative so I'd really like to start now and get those bugs off while I can before he comes in one day covered in bumps!

Thanks in advance!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I buy that concentrate that is sold in TSC for cows/horses. I don't remember if it's pyrethrin or permethrin. And I cover every possible inch that I can. I use a garden sprayer that you pump beforehand and it does not hiss and bother my horses. It gives a finer mist. I use a LOT each time. Thus the concentrate (correctly diluted), though it doesn't have sunscreen or a special scent, works the best for me cost-wise.

For tick repellant, I like EquiSpot (like Frontline for horses), but you should test it in a tiny spot on your horse before you use the whole tube on him. Some horses are sensitive to it and break out in hives. I have used it on five horses and haven't had that problem, but it works very well on ticks. Repeat application every 30 days.

Cost effective fly spray: RepelX concentrate.

Homemade fly spray: 2 cups cider vinegar, 2 cups skin so soft, 1/2 cup citronella oil, a few drops of eucalyptus oil.

I've pretty much given up buying expensive store-bought full-strength fly spray, as nothing seems to last more than 24 hours that I can tell.

Endure. It also keeps off ticks. I have tried almost every other spray on the market and none of them work half as well.

We use permethrin in a garden type sprayer. It works for about 20 min if you really soak them in it. That's the best I've found. Fly masks and boots work WAY better, IMO. I haven't tried fly sheets yet.

For ticks, FRONT LINE. Two of the large dog size, one down the mane and withers, one down the butt and dock of the tail. I pick off just a few ticks a week (already dead) as opposed to dozens a week. I've used it on multiple TBs, and none have had a reaction. This was recommended by my vet by the way. I've heard the frontline spray is good too!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    Endure. It also keeps off ticks. I have tried almost every other spray on the market and none of them work half as well.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy the Mule View Post

Cost effective fly spray: RepelX concentrate.
    This, plus we use Buglyte. I don't think any fly repellant is 100% effective but I've noticed a lot less stomping and irritation when everyone is on the Buglyte.

From EquineMedSurg - awesome stuff: RK Topical
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I love Pyrannah Aerosol, or their wipe n' spray. Only thing that has worked for me.

I don't think any fly spray really works. That said, I have some brain mentality that makes me think I'm a bad horse mom if I don't spray them with something.

I use Nature's Defense now. Of all, I've found this works the best. I also found the Tri-Tech kind to work well too.

What I found doesn't work: Bronco, Repel, Absorbine
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I like Farnam's Bite Free, red bottle. It's oily feeling and seems to stay on the coat and work for longer than 30 minutes.

May switch to Endure, or switch out and try it. We've been exceptionally wet and I noticed Rory was already stomping today and there were a lot of flies on his manure.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.