The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corgi in VA shelter needs a new home

I saw this guy on Petfinder last night. What was posted by the shelter is all I know.

Comet, a handsome 7 year old red and white male, lost his home when his owner had to move in with his adult child's family. Comet was not allowed to come.

Comet is at Page County Animal Shelter in Stanley, VA 22835. You can type in that zip code to find his page in Petfinder.

Please spread the word and help Comet find a happy ending to his sad story.

The only reason I'm not going to get him is that there is no room at our inn.

I put it up on FB last night. Hopefully one of the rescues or a private citizen will take him. He's darling

wish he could come to california! what a cutie!!!!! hope he gets a nice home

If we can get the dog to Massachusetts, he can live with me.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I just got a call from the Shelter and I've been approved to adopt him. I'm taking my other rescued guy with me tomorrow to make sure Comet can handle Shorty's play antics. For 12 lbs, he's a real live wire

Thanks RobinL! That is fantastic!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

RobinL, that's fabulous!!!!!!! Please let us know what happens!!!!!!!

Threedogpack, thank you for posting him on fb. If it doesn't work out for RobinL to get him, the extra publicity should help in him getting a home.

Yay!
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

If it doesn't work out and someone can get him to Connecticut, I can go and pick him up and bring him to Ghazzu.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I bet the two dogs will be fine even if they don't have the same play energy. My older Mini Schnauzer was fine with the new young one who would run around while she ambled along.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

OK, Robin, we really want to know what happened today when you went to meet Comet. Soooo hoping it worked out!
    Last edited by incentive; Mar. 24, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: name change

Just logging in today. Didn't take Shorty with me yesterday as he was a soggy doggy from the rain, so went to meet Comet alone and brought him home to see how they would do. There was barely a place there for ME to interact with him so wouldn't have been able to tell much there anyway.

He might be closer to 60 lbs, but is very sweet and tries to be energetic It was all I could do to pick him up and get him on the truck seat! We did several short walks yesterday and at one point he had to lie down and take a breather in the cool grass. He did try to run after Shorty but it was short lived. While he tolerates Shorty sniffing around, he grumbles at him when he attempts play and is jealous when they share attention, that probably from being an only dog. I'm torn as he's a nice guy, but I really want a dog who can play with Shorty, and don't want him to have to go back to the "shelter". I'm sure he would be fine in a household with lower energy dogs who might not be so up close and personal and was great with the neighbors kid running up to him with a wooden spoon in his hand and petting him. He's currently at the local Petsmart getting a bath and pedicure as I wasn't sure I could get him in and out of my tub....

Smile

His energy level will pick up when he loses some weight. Please give him some more time and thank you for getting him out of the shelter.
    friend of bar*ka

Every chubby corgi I have ever adopted has become more energetic after dieting. And I have adopted several chubby corgis! Sassy was 65 pounds. Also, the premature warmer temps haven't given the animals much chance to adapt.

I would not be concerned if there was some jealousy being shown as long as it is not all out war. Comet has been through a difficult time losing his home as well as being in the shelter. And your little guy is not used to having a brother.

Please don't give up on Comet. He needs you. The fact that he was good with the child is a very good sign as lots of corgis are not.. And I'm sure he'll feel much better after his bath and grooming.

Please keep us posted, and feel free to PM me.

Please please please let me know if you are not up to keeping him and let me know before you take him back. We'll find somewhere for him.

sent you a PM Robin

There are other options here and on TOB, so if it doesn't work out he'll still have a home. Give it a few days, and see how it goes. You already know that going from a kennel, after losing his first home and person, that he's probably psychologically a mess right now, and he'll take time to adjust. But don't be afraid to come back here and ask for another home if that's how it works out. There is nothing wrong with rescuing and rehoming a dog if he's not a good fit in your specific situation.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

You will not have to take him back. If it doesn't work out for you, I'm sure we can find a place for him. Add me to the list, I'm sure we can get him to NC if need be.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Oh, if only I were still in KY-- if this guy doesn't work for you, wonder if we could get him to Idaho???
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique