The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree analysis please

I would love to have comments on the pedigrees of the following mares:

Arctic - http://www.pedigreequery.com/donandrus+arctic (Arctic)
    Trick - http://www.pedigreequery.com/trick+change (Trick)
    Sweetie - half sister to Trick by Golden Missile out of I Xlrate

Currently three are starting a training/retraining program, what in there pedigrees is appealing in a sport horse, and what is not as desirable.

Thank You in advance.

In the future I may ask for conformation critiques but i don't have good photo's at the moment.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The topside of Arctic is extremely good from top to bottom. Sire's tail female to the great Flower Bed. Speedwell is a 3/4 sibling to Secretariat. Pocahontas was not only the dam of Tom Rolfe, but also the Bold Ruler son, Chieftain. Love Bebopper. Dr. Fager is good. There's not a line of top that's not good.

The bottom side does much less for me, personally. There are far fewer lines that have been well proved at the top levels of sport.

Iron Springs Farm has an event horse with Leslie Law in 2011 named Zenith ISF who has Clever Trick as damsire. There is another Clever Trick son (NOT Phone Trick who, to date, has not got any FEI level descendants in any English discipline that I can find) named Tricky Creek who has a very good damline for sport and is the sire of a Canadian 3* event horse named Baba Creek out of a Raja Baba mare.

You have a top and bottom double to Better Bee, whose grandsire was Reigh Count, who has many descendants in Dr. Birdsall. Not only was Better Bee damsire of Clever Trick, but he was also the damsire of Teddy O'Connor's sire. Djeddah is good, and Wise Ally was a daughter of Wise Counsellor, one of my favorite lines for two reasons: he did get daughters who have produced for sport, and he is just about the last stallion from the old Herod lines that were so important in US TBs since almost the beginnings. Wise Ally's dam was a daughter of Son-In-Law, which links back to the modern German Warmblood.

L'Enjoleur xx leaves me pretty cold, although he is tail male grandsire to two of Diana Burnett's UL event horses. Buckpasser is good, and so is Fanfreluche; they both have many sport horse descendants through different progeny.

The bottom of the bottom has far fewer proven lines in sport. But in the back, the proven lines are all there.

So this horse looks like she could be a very good sport horse or not, given the genetic soup that she inherited.

This is ONE.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

TWO

As far as I can discover Phone Trick is a bust with high achieving sport horses. Because he's a TB, you'd think that he would have, at the minimum, a few get or grandget who have done eventing at the FEI level. But he doesn't. That's not to say that he hasn't produced low level hunters and event horses in second careers, but they haven't gone on to do great things.

The bottom side is better. Every line in Buckley's Boy has produced for sport. Vice Regent is okay, especially in the dam line. King's Bishop is Round Table (excellent) but he himself isn't in FEI level sport horses. Victory Morn is Nasrullah and Sir Gallahad, both excellent, and you have the golden blood for sport of Gino in Slave Market.

THREE

Golden Missile is A P Indy, who was so good as a racing sire and so current that it's not completely surprising that he doesn't show up in FEI Level sport horse pedigrees. To put it bluntly, he's just not proved yet. Cure The Blues is one of the lines that I liked very much in the First mare. And the discussion of the bottom of the 2nd horse applies to this one.

Seattle Slew was and is not a particularly high percentage line for sport.

Default Thanks Vineyridge

Arctic is heads and shoulders my favorite out of the three mares, while she isn't as social as the other two she is a bigger, more substantial mare, Trick while she is solid she is not as tall or stylish as Arctic but has the potential to be a solid worker, much the same with her little sister Sweetie that is the smallest of the three but at just 3 she has time to get a bit bigger and fill out some more.

Thanks Again