The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default saddles with narrow seat? *Update* Anything else like a Butet?

I've been looking for a saddle for a new horse and have come to the realization that I need a narrow seat. I've tried several saddles now that have caused hip pain and pain under the back of my thighs because I have narrow hips and seatbones and the saddles want my leg to drop down an inch or more further out than it physically can. It seems that the panels extend too far out to the side and the skirt is out over it on the problem saddles. On the plus side, this horse seems easy to fit...I'm the issue.

I'm not quite 5'4" and about 118 pounds, so also need a shorter flap. Here is what I've tried that the seat worked, but didn't work for other reasons: Passier GG (flaps too long), Kieffer Aachen (didn't fit horse, pommel issues), Sommer von Niendorff (seat too small but such a good deal I had to try it), Stubben Tristan (seat wasn't too wide, but made my right leg go numb, so no go).

Non-working seats: Prestige Pacific (and I was told all Prestige's have the same seat), Wintec Pro (old style), and I currently have a Black Country Adelinda on trial, which is beautiful, and I'd love to love it but my right hip still hurts this am after riding in it last night.

Any suggestions for someone with "non-womanly" hips??

Thanks!
    Last edited by KnRponies; Mar. 31, 2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: update

Albion SLK with narrow twist. I think you can get the shorter flaps also. I have two Albions, one with narrow twist, and one with regular. I hate the regular one, but it fits that horse so have no choice but ride in it when I ride her.

Second the Albion SLK, try the low profile, vs. the high, also Rooslis are narrow and good for petite riders - especially the older ones.

What size tree does your horse need?
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I'm close to your body size & also prefer narrow.
    Here's what I have [side note I buy saddles like shoes] that works;
    Marcus Krehan
    Kieffer Wein original-before they changed billet system
    Jorge Canaves-before selling to Thornhill
    Mansion House
    Lovatt & Ricketts

Crosby Freestyle comes w/ a short flap [13"] normally 15", I have both.
    Spirig- seat size runs small
    -last two not as narrow as above but works

I would second the Roosli.

The narrowest I ever found was the Trilogy Verago.

Forgot to mention, I used to own an Albion SL for another horse. The pommel was uncomfortable, but the seat was good, and reading a description of that saddle, it is a narrow seat. How does the SLK compare to the SL?

I have seen photos of a Roosli and the panels look too A-frame for this particular horse.

Albion makes a regular seat AND a narrow seat. I had an slk ultima platinum genisis tree saddle with a narrow seat. Im pretty sure most people mistake them as being narrow twist or reg twist when in fact it is the seat width!

Do you mean a narrow twist or a narrow seat?

(i.e., the bit you straddle or the bit you park your rear on?)

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post

That's what I was wondering...but I'm going to assume they mean twist.

Many Stubben, Passier and Bates saddles have a narow to very narrow twist. They have newer ones that are wider, but a lot of them are narrow. Personally, I love a narrow twist and there's not a single Albion you could pay me to ride in all the time. They say they're narrow, but they're not truly narrow like the saddle brands I've mentioned.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

The part where I park my rear. If its too wide I can't drop my legs down because they are held out too far past where my hips are.

Quote Originally Posted by KnRponies View Post
    The part where I park my rear. If its too wide I can't drop my legs down because they are held out too far past where my hips are.
    Seriously, just TRY the Trilogy. I had the very same issue, it was Steffen Peters assistant trainer who recommended the Trilogy, it was a revelation, I dropped my stirrups 2 holes and was suddenly comfortable in a dressage saddle.

I am also very comfortable in my Stubben Genesis Special, but nothing gave me the long leg and comfort my Verago did.

Unfortunately the trend is towards wider seats rather than narrower seats, but just call/email manufacturers & ask for the seat measurements (& twist) on their various models.
    You'll likely to need to go from reception for answers but most companies will try

I ride in a Trilogy also. (The Amadeo--I found the Verago uncomfortable and I can't remember why now.)

I think it works for me because there appears to be so much less "stuff" under the thigh, so the leg hangs more straight from the hip socket and has a closer contact. It must be the way the panel is cut so there isn't so much flocking there. I'll have to do a comparison with others in the barn one day.

I couldn't get on with the Albion, either. Everything was too wide for me--seat and twist.

There's a reason why there are a gazillion saddle shapes, styles and manufacturers!

I ride in a Trilogy also. (The Amadeo--I found the Verago uncomfortable and I can't remember why now.)

I think it works for me because there appears to be so much less "stuff" under the thigh, so the leg hangs more straight from the hip socket and has a closer contact. It must be the way the panel is cut so there isn't so much flocking there. I'll have to do a comparison with others in the barn one day.

I couldn't get on with the Albion, either. Everything was too wide for me--seat and twist.

There's a reason why there are a gazillion saddle shapes, styles and manufacturers!
    The Amadeo is their widest twist, the Debbie McDonald is their medium twist and the Verago is their ultra narrow twist. All of them have a narrower seat than most saddles, and have very little under your thigh, it's just the crotch part of the twist that varies. I chose the Verago because I have narrow hips with fat inner thighs so I need a very narrow twist, but I imagine it would be uncomfortable for someone not ultra narrow through the crotch area if you know what I mean. Sorry if that all came out a little TMI.

Love my Devoucoux Makila (and for the exact reasons you are describing--hip pain in anything with a wide twist, too deep seat, or too much knee roll).

Default Trilogy

If you need a narrow seat in the seatbone area, the Debbie McDonald is the one to try. It does have a narrow waist, but it also has a narrower seat at the rear. It also has the straightest flap angle of the Trilogy line, but there is an option for a forward flap.

Love my Debbie McDonald. Although it is a "moderate" twist, I rides fairly narrow to me, and the narrower seat had ended my hip pain!

I have the Albion slk with the narrow seat and short flaps, as well as extra padding in seat bone area. I have the low head model, and it was the only saddle I tried that bridged the gap between my widish mare and my narrow hips. It was comfortable from day one, and I'm still very happy with it four years later