The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Less common ways to make money in the horse business

So I've been pondering this lately. My ideas are doing some horse hauling. Mostly local and one day trips (but I'm not sure how much insurance would cost for this so not sure if it's feasible - where does one get insurance for something like this?) Another idea was doing an on online used tack shop for all kinds of saddles, and upper end bridles, halters, boots, etc... Sometime I come across really good deals but I just don't have any use for the stuff, so why not flip it? Any other good, more out of the box ideas?

There is a woman in my general area who has a mobile sheath cleaning service, if you really want to go WAY out of the box. :-)

The requirements for commercial haulers are getting pretty crazy in PA... I dunno about OH.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    The requirements for commercial haulers are getting pretty crazy in PA... I dunno about OH.
    Yeah there is a lot more to that then owning a truck and trailer these days.

You might do a traveling consignment tack shop. You could buy and resell those bargins you find, accept good consignments from others for stocking your trailer. We had a local consignment shop that traveled, always seemed to do a good business. Also sold things from her farm, but you would have to check zoning for a shop in your area.

The braiders at shows, body clipping services, seem to be a popular service, without a lot of investment in equipment. Get your skills to the excellent level before you hand out business cards!

Leather cleaning services, where you could go to their barns, might be an option. I know a lot of Driving folks would LOVE a harness cleaning service!!

Getting trained, the massage folks seem to be in demand for horses. Would take time to get established, have repeat customers. Same thing with saddle fitting as a business service.

Doing massage and saddle fitting would be a great match. AGain, depends on you're situation right now. I have found that my students that are out there showing right now, and know people are the ones that have it easiest getting clients for their massage-others do have to work harder, but eventually do get business.
    If you have a decent truck and trailer, you might want to work for a race track near you. But be forewarned-sometimes it's hard to get paid...so get it up front.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

If you have the gift of gab, how about starting a rescue.

You can't believe the kind of money that flows in.
    Of course, it is never enough, if you run your rescue the old fashioned way.
    Great way to make money if you work it to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hearts View Post
    So I've been pondering this lately. My ideas are doing some horse hauling. Mostly local and one day trips (but I'm not sure how much insurance would cost for this so not sure if it's feasible - where does one get insurance for something like this?) Another idea was doing an on online used tack shop for all kinds of saddles, and upper end bridles, halters, boots, etc... Sometime I come across really good deals but I just don't have any use for the stuff, so why not flip it? Any other good, more out of the box ideas?
    I'm constantly seeing pleas from people looking for trailering, but I'm not sure any of them are willing to pay what it would cost to do it. I'm pretty sure you would have to have a commercial drivers license and you would certainly need care, custody and control insurance, probably liability insurance as well. None of that is cheap. If anyone has done this and can speak as to what is required, I'd love to hear it. I am constantly being asked to trailer other people's horses and am seriously considering doing it as a business.

Quote Originally Posted by MassageLady View Post
    Doing massage and saddle fitting would be a great match. AGain, depends on you're situation right now. I have found that my students that are out there showing right now, and know people are the ones that have it easiest getting clients for their massage-others do have to work harder, but eventually do get business.
    If you have a decent truck and trailer, you might want to work for a race track near you. But be forewarned-sometimes it's hard to get paid...so get it up front.
    What's the training and schooling like for equine massage? I have been trying to talk my fiance into it for awhile now
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

http://www.equinology.com/

info on how to become an equine body worker. I believe you need schooling and externship.. when i wanted to do it it was already over 3k i think... not sure now what the cost might be.

the above linked org is highly regarded.

anyone know how to become a saddle fitter? that is something i would LOVE to do

I have been debating the same thing. We opened our farm last fall, and I would love to be able to extend it into being my only job instead of having to work full-time as well. I am playing with the idea of trying my hand at equine photography. I love shooting show photography, and have a fairly decent eye for an ammy...debating giving it a shot!

I'm a certified interior decorator and I want to do a barn cleaning/organizing business. Sort of like a home stager, only be a farm stager. Working with land/farm realtors to clean up barns to make them really marketable, maybe also help barns do a spruce up for things like open house and shows, that type of thing. Since I have good computer skills, I can even offer things like website and marketing services.

I even have a name "Show Ready Stables".
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Overohunter, I do teach equine massage therapy at my facility in Indiana
    You can look at my blog-lots of info there, I have many great students that are out there working on horses right now, and doing great!
    My classes are short, but I have pre class and post class study for you to do.
    I am always there for you for questions you might have about your client.
    My class you come to is HANDS ON-4 days-no 'filler' in the class to waste your time. I teach you what you need to know to get out there and start work right away-and give you the confidence you need to do it.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

In addition to my normal training, teaching and breeding, I began doing "night watch" at horse shows a few years ago to help cover expenses of a horse with a lot of medical bills. I not only watch them at night (or hire someone to do that) but do early AM feed/hay/water which people really like as they need not come at dawn if they don't have an early class.