The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Puzzled...Why do Probiotics quit working after several weeks w/ different brands?

My mare has solid manure, but right before she goes, a bit of liquid manure runs down and if I don't get to the barn everyday, it's pretty nasty to clean up. I'm sure itchy to her as well.

I've tried Proviable EQ from Smartpak, and Command FT Probiotic from Valley Vet.

Each time, these worked great for a few weeks and then back to the usual...

I'm just puzzled as to why these work for a bit, and then quit. Then I'm stuck with the rest of the product.

I have a call in for Spring shots, so I'll ask my Vet when she comes out. But in the mean time, anyone have ideas?

Thanks....

ETA: She has been on Previcox 57 mg daily since approximately last summer.. I wonder if that is the problem. Vet is coming out the end of March for spring shots.. Will ask her.
    Last edited by Huntertwo; Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: To add more information
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

One of our horses came to us with the same thing you are describing. Come to find out, she was reacting to the sugars that are in the Spring and Fall grass (those were the only two seasons she had it). She had it a little during the summer too but never during the winter.

We put her on probiotics and they were not working. We upped the dose more than they suggested and kept at it until about three months and FINALLY They kicked in! Also, we noticed that surprsingly, the mare did much better on grass/orchard hay rather than timothy.

I guess my point is to stick with the probios for a bit longer and up the dose more than you think and see if they work more. For our mare it was a matter of what she was consuming which we couldn't really help unless we just didn't turn her out. I know for humans that if you take probios and they don't clear up diarrhea then you've got an intestinal problem. Probios only really help if something you're consuming is causing the problem. You might want to have her stomach looked at....

Are you storing the probiotics properly? Make sure lids are closed tight, bags are shut, etc. The supplement shouldn't be exposed to air until it is ready to be fed. Maybe try a few months in smartpaks and see if that makes a difference?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

They probably die. How do the directions ask you to store them? In the lab I can keep bacterial stocks pretty dormant by refrigerating them. Perhaps these are not supplements that can be bought in bulk. I'm thinking any kind of moisture will contribute to them dying.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by gallopinggal View Post
    One of our horses came to us with the same thing you are describing. Come to find out, she was reacting to the sugars that are in the Spring and Fall grass (those were the only two seasons she had it). She had it a little during the summer too but never during the winter.

We put her on probiotics and they were not working. We upped the dose more than they suggested and kept at it until about three months and FINALLY They kicked in! Also, we noticed that surprsingly, the mare did much better on grass/orchard hay rather than timothy.

I guess my point is to stick with the probios for a bit longer and up the dose more than you think and see if they work more. For our mare it was a matter of what she was consuming which we couldn't really help unless we just didn't turn her out. I know for humans that if you take probios and they don't clear up diarrhea then you've got an intestinal problem. Probios only really help if something you're consuming is causing the problem. You might want to have her stomach looked at....
    She has had this even during the winter. Nothing has changed in her diet. A few handfuls of Poulin MVP and 5 flakes of hay a day. She is a POA and a very easy keeper.

I did double the dose with both brands I tried. Just very strange that they both worked for a few weeks (clean behind) and suddenly stopped working.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Are you storing the probiotics properly? Make sure lids are closed tight, bags are shut, etc. The supplement shouldn't be exposed to air until it is ready to be fed. Maybe try a few months in smartpaks and see if that makes a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    They probably die. How do the directions ask you to store them? In the lab I can keep bacterial stocks pretty dormant by refrigerating them. Perhaps these are not supplements that can be bought in bulk. I'm thinking any kind of moisture will contribute to them dying.

Paula
    The Proviable EQ was in the SmartPak containers, so it was not opened until the BO fed.

The Command FT IS in one of those zip seal bags which don't seal very well. So, I put it in an airtight container.

She gets it in the PM feed, perhaps changed the dose for AM and PM?

Still puzzled as to why they quit working after a few weeks.

Actually, when I was picking her turnout yesterday, I did notice some soft manure. Not liquid, but not formed and solid.

My Vet is coming out end of the month for Spring shots, so I'll ask her then....

Just thought of something I'll add to the original post - She has been on Previcox 57 mg daily for her Uveitis since last summer?? Maybe that is the culprit?

Because the source/cause is not going away. The probiotics improve the symptom. The problem is consistent enough or bad enough that is over comes your treatment of the symptom. Find the cause; treat the cause correctly and you may not ever need to treat the symptom again

Re: previcox. Its possible! Get the "insert"/drug fact sheet for equiox (it should be online, otherwise ask your vet if you can have one from the box). Look and see how many incidences of loose stool were reported in the trials at the different doses. If it's high, it increases the odds this is your cause and vise versa.

Can you do local treatment (steroid eye drops) as needed for a few weeks to remove the previcox? I don't think previcox is really a top notch uveitis drug.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Re: previcox. Its possible! Get the "insert"/drug fact sheet for equiox (it should be online, otherwise ask your vet if you can have one from the box). Look and see how many incidences of loose stool were reported in the trials at the different doses. If it's high, it increases the odds this is your cause and vise versa.

Can you do local treatment (steroid eye drops) as needed for a few weeks to remove the previcox? I don't think previcox is really a top notch uveitis drug.
    Thanks... I found this link
    http://www.equioxx.com/pdfs/eqx_past...g_info2010.pdf
    and there were warnings of GI upset.

I'll take her off of it starting tomorrow and see what happens. Perhaps she has been on it too long?