The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Post Feeding Oil to Horses

What type of oil do you feed to your horse? I currently feed my horse a little bit of vegetable oil on his feed to mix in his supplements but I was wondering if something else would be better.

What about corn oil? I heard that that can cause inflammation. Is that true?

Corn oil has a higher ration of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids than some other oils. The significance of this is really unknown, especially in horses. They manufacture their own omega-3 fatty acids from forage, so whether or not a little (or a lot) of extra omega-6 is bad is really NOT KNOWN. However, omega-6 fatty acids are fashionable things to declare "bad" at present.

I generally don't feed oil as I have mostly easy keepers and I prefer to use dry things over liquids. I like flax seed to make horses shiny, and try to feed only pelleted supplements (I only use vitamins and fly control anyhow) when I must use them to avoid powders and finicky horses.

That said, if I did use oil I would buy whatever was on sale. Fat is fat is fat is fat calorically speaking, and I'm not even remotely convinced of the other risks or benefits of a little bit of oil in an herbivore's diet.
    Click here before you buy.

I don't feed oil currently, but when I did I just used the generic "vegetable oil" from the grocery store. It was probably mostly soybean oil, with some corn oil as well.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Default whatever is cheapest at costco

I have been feeding about 1 cup of oil to my aged OTTB for several years. he holds his weight and looks fabulous.

I cleaned out a laundry detergent bottle with the no drip cap and use that. it is easy to fill and doesn't drip (too much).
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have fed veggie oil in the past and have been happy with it. Currently, though, my horse is on Cocosoya oil, per the recommendation of my vet.

I actually don't like feeding oil (so messy!), but it is always a nice way to add some calories and a little shine. If I went cheapo again, I would go back to veggie. Definitely not corn.

I have been feeding cocosoya oil to our horses for about 4 yrs and love it.

1 cup of canola oil per day to every horse except the Shetland, who receives 1/3 cup

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Flaxseed Oil, which is actually mostly soybean oil. We only use it to carry his Pergolide. We were trying to up his caloric intake a while ago because he just wasn't eating much and went with cheap as per our trainer's instructions.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I just use regular vegetable oil, however, I think 10 (or is it 20?) gallon containers of soy bean oil had be found at Costco for a decent price ($25?)
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Flaxseed Oil, which is actually mostly soybean oil. We only use it to carry his Pergolide. We were trying to up his caloric intake a while ago because he just wasn't eating much and went with cheap as per our trainer's instructions.
    What? That doesn't make sense.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

We use cheap vegetable oil - which in our case is soybean oil. I think it's important to pay attention to what your cheap vegetable oil is just so you know in case something changes in the future, if the type of oil changed. It's horses, we all know a change in ratio of different vegetables could cause something crazy to happen just because they're horses.

I've never found oil messy at all. I use about 1 cup, and I pour it straight from the big container onto the top of my horse's (wet) grain. I have to wet his grain because he won't eat the powdered joint supplement otherwise, the turd. The oil never makes it to the bottom of his bucket to get it dirty.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 cup Canola oil mixed into beet pulp for a hard keeper TB mare.

i have used rice bran oil a lot in the past, but am now using wheat germ oil, as it is a little cheaper and more available where i am.

am now using wheat germ oil, as it is a little cheaper and more available where i am.
    Probably not really an issue, but worth mentioning that wheat germ oil has quite a bit of vitamins A and E in it, unlike most of the other oils which are just, well . . . OIL.

This might be desirable, or it might not, but wheat germ oil is a little different than most in this regard.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks for the responses! Since I am just using the oil to mix his supplements I think I will just stick with the vegetable oil since so many of you use it. Thanks!!

Corn oil is what I feed. However i recently read that coconut oil is really great but only in small doses like 1/2 cup a day.

I used Cocosoya oil for years. Then I tried straight canola oil and it worked just as well. Easier on my budget, too.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

All of my guys get at least a bit of soybean oil every meal.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Originally Posted by ReSomething
    Flaxseed Oil, which is actually mostly soybean oil...

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    What? That doesn't make sense.
    Some of the posts on COTH are entertaining and scary at the same time!

I'm just using plain canola oil to add some calories and get powders to stick.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/