The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    Yes, that is the same link I put in my original post.

Have to say that of the combos shown on the ranking list, at the moment, it seems only about 5-6 of them have a realistic chance of being selected for London.
    Steffen Peters and Ravel
    Heather Blitz and Paragon
    Tina Konyot and Calecto V
    Adrienne Lyle and Wizard (though their last outing wasn't so great)
    Todd Flettrich and Otto

Of course, a lot can happen between now and the selection trials. If Legolas continues to come on strong, the selectors may be in the position of having to decide between him and Ravel. I assume they will want Ravel because of his experience, esp. if Paragon and Wizard are on the team.

And I realized last night that many of the riders on the declaration list probably know they have virtually no chance of going to London, but declared anyway, to either help market the horse to buyers, or at direction of the horse's owner. It sure can help when marketing a horse to be able to say he went to the Olympic selection trials, or at the very least, was "in the running for the Olympic trials".

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    Quite frankly, I'm surprised that anyone who's been following Catherine Haddad is surprised she hasn't declared for the Olympics.

She made it very clear during her US tour last fall that she needed financial support to do the qualifiers needed for the Olympics.

Then her other GP horse, Cadillac, was euthanized following an injury and layup.

I am not surprised at all, especially given her latest COTH blog entry, that she's sitting this one out.
    It's not because of a rough winter that I'm surprised she isn't on the list. I am truly surprised that someone didn't volunteer to help out one of our country's best shots at a medal.

And we all have dark times, but from what I've learned about her (I don't know her personally), she seems like the type that could turn tough times into motivation to succeed - DESPITE the hand she's been dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenrow View Post
    It's not because of a rough winter that I'm surprised she isn't on the list. I am truly surprised that someone didn't volunteer to help out one of our country's best shots at a medal.

And we all have dark times, but from what I've learned about her (I don't know her personally), she seems like the type that could turn tough times into motivation to succeed - DESPITE the hand she's been dealt.
    Agreed. Catherine is an intelligent and articulate representative of American dressage, and she regularly competes with the best in Europe. And she does so without the big money horses that are provided for much of her competition. That nobody here in the US would step forward as a sponsor is really surprising.

Hopefully this wasn't her last best chance to make the team.