The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What has your horse decided to fear this Spring?

Ahh, Spring. My horse is feeling festive and is entertaining us both by discovering new things to be afraid of for the year. Every year she picks something new. Last year, it was purple flowers and pipes coming out of the ground and cows. This year, it's clotheslines and construction equipment, and she couldn't care less about purple flowers or pipes coming out of the ground, just like last year she didn't twitch at flapping clotheslines or construction equipment (even if it was in use). And she looked worriedly at a cow on the way out, but gave it nothing but haughty disdain on the way home. But she about turned inside out over the sight of an excavator quietly parked in a construction lot (don't tell me you can't leg-yield, you wench. You can move 20 feet sideways in a fraction of a second when you want to ). I was ready for purple flowers, but not for the excavator, not realizing it was the "horse eater du jour."

To the best of my knowledge, she has not recently nor has she ever been attacked by a clothesline full of men's undies or by an excavator. And the other day she stood cheerfully watching the electric company take down trees over the power lines and swing the trees over her head using one of those cherry-picker trucks. Not worried at all. Ho hum.

What novel things have others' horses decided are exciting this year?

Puddles.
    In the turn out we can lay in them and roll in them but on the trail a puddle is horse swallowing quick sand, with alligators and piranhas living in them.

The usual.

Hot Air Balloons and any manner of fowl in flight. (but especially geese and hawks)

So far... nothing. Maybe he's grown up? Or it could just be the heat.

Skunks.

We had lots of skunks. I have trapped them last month.

Wherever they were hanging out she would be spooky there.

I was trying to trap a fox squirrel and she saw the trap and was so freaky over it. It did smell from previous skunks btw.

If I had a skunk in the trap, she would tell me before I even looked at the trap. No it is not the trap itself. Possum in the trap, zero reaction. Feral cat in trap, no reaction. Which I should say the feral cat got sprayed by a skunk while in the trap. She has no reaction to any other animal or things. Cows, snakes, dogs, cats, mice, ground hogs, deer, no reaction, blowing bags(they can be considered an animal ha ha), etc.

I know the skunks are out of the area now. She will graze quietly in the area now. She used to avoid. When I first got her she was sprayed on the nose. We have had horrible skunk issues. Story of my life it seems.

I trap them now. Last one the buzzards enjoyed.

Easy to trap, TOUGH to do the rest. But it can be done. The end result - no skunks - is well worth it.

I think she got worried on them because she would go and investigate and I suspect the skunks got a bit fussy and defensive, and being a horse, she boogied out of the area fast to avoid a conflict.

Two years ago, we got chased by a goose when we mistakenly got too close to its nest. As in, the goose ran at us honking and flapping, and then when we turned around to leave, it took off and flew right over my head for about 50 yards as we cantered away. Those suckers are BIG!

Last year, nesting geese were no big deal, but this year, any geese walking around in pairs and honking deserve the stink eye (large flocks of geese are fine). Apparently it takes two years for the fear to set in?
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

The sleeve of my jacket.

He was moving nicely. I reached down to pet him on the neck. In the brief flash I had to contemplate, it seemed that he spooked away from my sleeve as it fluttered in the breeze. The next thing I knew, I was half way to the ground. No hope of recovery.

Nothing scares my horse like fluttery things, but I can't ride in the nude. Even if I did, I can't guarantee no part of me would flutter.

Daffodils. My black mare was terrified of them.

My usually steady eddie horse decided today that the Polarus(that is used for running around the farm and taking hay to the pasture horses)was suspect. My friend and I were out riding in the back hay fields and the barn manager came up and stopped to talk to us. Fine, she walked right up to it. However when he started it back up and started driving it across one of the fields and then he jumped out to get a soil sample, you would have thought the hounds of h*ll were after her. She kept scooting sideways and trying to run down the hill.

I second the puddles. In this case, it is one particular puddle, which has a silvery glint as the sun sets, Most terrifying of all, it is only partially visible under a door, in the small gap between bottom of arena door and the dirt footing of the arena.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Her own shadow

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Skunks.

We had lots of skunks. I have trapped them last month.

Wherever they were hanging out she would be spooky there.

I was trying to trap a fox squirrel and she saw the trap and was so freaky over it. It did smell from previous skunks btw.

If I had a skunk in the trap, she would tell me before I even looked at the trap. No it is not the trap itself. Possum in the trap, zero reaction. Feral cat in trap, no reaction. Which I should say the feral cat got sprayed by a skunk while in the trap. She has no reaction to any other animal or things. Cows, snakes, dogs, cats, mice, ground hogs, deer, no reaction, blowing bags(they can be considered an animal ha ha), etc.

I know the skunks are out of the area now. She will graze quietly in the area now. She used to avoid. When I first got her she was sprayed on the nose. We have had horrible skunk issues. Story of my life it seems.

I trap them now. Last one the buzzards enjoyed.

Easy to trap, TOUGH to do the rest. But it can be done. The end result - no skunks - is well worth it.

I think she got worried on them because she would go and investigate and I suspect the skunks got a bit fussy and defensive, and being a horse, she boogied out of the area fast to avoid a conflict.
    To be fair, the smell of a skunk in the area makes me a little spooky, too.

Mine has apparently decided to re-visit the horse-eating bridges theory. When we started out last year, bridges were not going to be crossed. Period. I think he would have preferred alligator infested waters to a bridge.

End of last year: They got a cautious look, and were tippy-toes across, but he would go over any bridge I pointed him at.

Last weekend, nuh-uh. However, he did go across once the rest of the horses we were riding with went over it.

*pat,pat,pat* "Good boooooy..."

*under breath*
    (moron...)

I have to admit I've had the occasional aversive reaction to what people put out on clotheslines sometimes...

Cool

Ant mounds because, you know, they jump up and attack horses all the time. Oh and tire treads in the mud. I guess the odd pattern freaks him out. So yeah I get the whole *pat, pat pat* "you moron" thing. To his credit, I've had horses that spooked at the double yellow line when crossing a paved road. I just want to say, think less and keep moving forward.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    Two years ago, we got chased by a goose when we mistakenly got too close to its nest. As in, the goose ran at us honking and flapping, and then when we turned around to leave, it took off and flew right over my head for about 50 yards as we cantered away. Those suckers are BIG!

Last year, nesting geese were no big deal, but this year, any geese walking around in pairs and honking deserve the stink eye (large flocks of geese are fine). Apparently it takes two years for the fear to set in?
    Oh yah, avoid Canadian geese! Two of the geldings I ride just look at them, but my anglo-Trakehner is convinced they are satanic and dumped me with relish earlier in the year when one stepped out in front of us from the woods next to the lake I ride beside alot. The hissing and honking certainly does not help with that perception.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

My gelding has developed no new phobias, but he is working on social anxiety. Working with him around other horses is like spending an hour with a ninth grade boy at the school dance.
    When with me:Do we have to do this NOW? Ewww. No I won't wear that; it's itchy and makes me look like a dork. But why? You're such a jerk. I hate you.
    When in the company of a mare:She's hot. I wonder if she likes me. Maybe I should ask her. But what if she doesn't like me? OMG she just looked at me! She likes me, I know it. But she was so mean to me last week. I hate her. But she's so hot.
    When in the company of another gelding and a mare:Hey bozo, she likes me, not you. I'm walking next to her, not you. Just get lost.
    When in the company of other geldings:Hey, let's run. Not that fast, dipwad. Haha, pushed you into the fence. Look over there! Haha, pushed you into the fence again. Hey, where you going? Oooh, that mare's really hot. Think she likes me? No, she doesn't like you; you're a dipwad.

The white powder sprinkled on ant piles all over our grass riding area. Super scary and not normal - it was like riding through a mine-field!

Fearful? How about newly dominant?

- Hurry up. I want to get this ride going so I can gallop. I don't need to be groomed! Just get the saddle. Not like that! What do you mean 'it's dressage day?' I'm not doing this unless we gallop. Would you hurry up???

- Stop talking to people. Only look at ***me.***

- I will come in from pasture when I am darn good and ready. I have to eat the back corner first. After I show the other horses I'm faster than all of them.

- I have always liked the dog until today. The dog has to go. Excuse me while I ...

- I do the trail ride with the other horses-riders only as long as I am in front. I must be in front.

Etc. A new imperative, with an ultimatum attached, every 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by manentail View Post
    Daffodils. My black mare was terrified of them.
    I'm glad I have found another of them, I had a mare who was terrified of daffodils, no other flowers just daffodils.

This years one for the boy, ice falling off of things, we had a freezing rain storm on Friday night, and on Saturday I had a lesson booked at my place, to get me over my current irrational spring fear, mounting, not riding but actually mounting.

Had a very peaceful session in a round pen turning ever more slick, with a horse jumping every time another small sheet of ice let go

However, mission was accomplished, he eventually got fed up of spooking, I got fed up of being 'stuck' so we worked through it all.

Never did find out what the big scary invisible monster out in the field to the north of the pen was, so we stayed on the south side
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique