The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Herm Springer Bit "arrow"

I pulled out my KK bits again today. One seems to have the "arrow" on the end of the mouth piece of the loose ring and one does not. I seem to remember that the "arrow" is suppossed to point a certain direction, but can't remember which way it goes. Does the point need to point towards the muzzel "<" or to the ears ">", ?

Thanks in advance.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

The arrow is supposed to be on the "near" side of the horse, on the left. At least that's what I remember.

Thanks for the quick reply. If it is on the left (which is where I think put it today), then I think the "point" is pointing towards the muzzle. I will have to check tomorrow.
    RIP Barichello

Left side, facing forward

Thank you..I have a Butterfly B ring that drives me nuts. Now are you guys saying that the arrow should be on the inside or outside of the bit?

The arrow should be on the outside of the left side of the bit, pointing to the muzzle
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

From the Herm Sprenger site: "The arrow must always be on the left hand side pointing forwards". Here is the info on their site:

http://www.sprenger.de/open/language...u/267/M/BFyCCw

I knew someone who swore it was on the right, pointing towards the horse. She rode with it that way too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Half the bits in the tack room at my barn are on wrong and sadly they are on horses being ridden by trainers.

I was at a Lisa Wilcox clinic a few years back and a local FEI trainer in the clinic had her bit on backwards (arrow on the right). Lisa and I noticed it at the same time. She very tactfully told the trainer it was always supposed to be on the left, facing forward, but the horse was at 4th level and seemed to be used to it. They did not change the bit that day, but I have wondered ever since if that trainer went home and changed it.

I found my KK bit on backwards on my horse's bridle once - and she was in training at the time with an FEI trainer (not the same one as mentioned above). I honestly don't know who was at fault though - trainer said the groom must have done it while cleaning the bridle (although I never, ever saw them take a bridle apart while cleaning - they never even seemed to clean under the buckles or keepers!).

Thanks for the replies. I actually had it on correctly!!
    RIP Barichello

[QUOTE=DownYonder;6214734]I found my KK bit on backwards on my horse's bridle once - and she was in training at the time with an FEI trainer (not the same one as mentioned above). [QUOTE]

I'm curious (and have ALWAYS wondered this) - did your horse go differently with the bit on backwards? Ever since they added the arrow (I have some older KKs with no arrow), that has been one of my great, unsolved questions...

I had a student go to a show on her own and put the bit on backwards and had all horrible rides, with her horse tossing it's head the whole time. She came home and was she was warming up her horse was still tossing her head, I noticed the bit and had her change it and her mare was great after that.

the new bits with the arrow are not symetrical the way the old ones were. the new ones have the middle joint slightly at an angle which changes the action. It was proven in their riding tests to work better, hence the change in all their bits. If the arrow is incorrect, you have effectively harshened the bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmd07 View Post
    The arrow should be on the outside of the left side of the bit, pointing to the muzzle
    That's what I thought....thus the way I have it. Thanks!