The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hauler recommendations

We are looking for someone to haul a horse from Texas to NC. What are your recommendations - both good and/or bad? Thank you so much!

Equine Express, Aubrey/Pilot Point, TX

ABSOLUTELY Equine Express!! Tom Rountree o/o Ft. Worth is another shipper I contacted (254-396-3633), but his schedule is a little more variable due to filling loads. EE brought our new stallion from Pa to NE Ok. in the best of fashion. Quickly scheduled the haul and was right on schedule with excellent communication the whole way. Maybe a bit more expensive than the others, but very much worth it. Horses ONLY have 1.5 or box stalls. Hay and water the whole way. Do not consider National Equine Transportation!! They still have my deposit $$$ since December and I have never heard from them since!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I echo the sentiments for Equine Express. I had two pregnant embryo recipient mares hauled from OK to southeastern VA last fall. They were upgraded to box stalls (no charge) because they had the room... and arrived looking great. You would have never known they'd just been on a long haul. The drivers were great, very sweet to the mares, and kept in great contact (almost over the top) during the trip. I would not hesitate to use them again. I felt the price was really reasonable compared to other quotes I had been given.

Another vote for Equine Express!

I wanted to use EE to transport my horse (this week!!) from SC to CO. Everything was planned for pickup on the 21 and delivery on the 24. However, they called me 36 hours before planned pickup time and told me they had to delay the pickup until April 6!! I was able to get Nationwide to pick him up tomorrow and he will still be here by this weekend.

Because of this, I recommend Nationwide
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Were these all for Equine Express out of Pilot Point, Tx? Have any of you used Cox Equine Transport? If you don't want to post info on this forum, please pm me. I know anyone can post anything under "reviews" for these shippers. Thank you so much!

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

Highly recommend Cox...great communication along the way, dropped horse off within half an hour of the delivery time they gave us 24 hours prior. It was a trip from TX to NY in the middle of January and they kept horse comfortable with the temperature difference with adjusting blankets, etc.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

Ask if the company owns/operates their own rigs or uses contracted owner operators under their banner (their name on the rig) and bound to their standards exclusively. Or subs the runs out.

I keep telling the tale of the guy who showed up to haul a pricey Eq type WB Ohio to out west someplace. Promised an air ride big rig, guy shows up in an older gooseneck, no company name on it. Some ratty looking young horse for his wife and a buffalo calf in the front (kid you not). Air ride rig was for Interstate only, he says...we being 2 miles on a real good paved 2 lane from said interstate. But the horse had to go right then to a leassor and it did arrive 4 days later in good shape. But in a 2 horse with no company name.

On the way back 8 months later, horse spent over 10 days enroute and spent a week at a dairy farm in Iowa or Nebraska. A week where the dispatcher really did not know where the horse was, just enroute with a sub contracted driver and rig.

That was EE. They were and are nice and caring but....too many subs on those runs. probably why the poster above got pick up jacked back almost 3 weeks at the last minute. It does make sense to see if they have anything if you are originating in Texas...but ask if it will be via company rig or a sub...and get that in writing.

I prefer Brookledge and Sallee-they will probably quote you more but...those are nice rigs with full time professional horse haulers at the wheel. Just going to depend on their schedual and getting it to NC.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    That was EE. They were and are nice and caring but....too many subs on those runs. probably why the poster above got pick up jacked back almost 3 weeks at the last minute. It does make sense to see if they have anything if you are originating in Texas...but ask if it will be via company rig or a sub...and get that in writing.

I prefer Brookledge and Sallee-they will probably quote you more but...those are nice rigs with full time professional horse haulers at the wheel. Just going to depend on their schedual and getting it to NC.
    I think the sub-contracting issue was the reason Lucassb chose Brookledge over EE, even though it was a little more expensive.

Lowcountry- btw the swamp & the deerstand

Default Equine Express

Professional, punctual, happy horse!

I've had very positive experiences with Equine Express. If you are concerned about possible subcontracting, you might ask them upfront about it.

I've had excellent luck with Equine Express - both for in-state hauls and cross-country. Most recently, they relocated a mare from PA to TX for me and were great with communicating throughout the trip with updates of how she was doing and where they were in their route. Mare arrived in great shape, on time, with no issues.

Default Equine Express!!

Can't say enough good about them. Horse shipped from Va to Ca and got there looking and feeling great. Shipped in a nice box stall (ppl had paid for a 1/2) and people were great at communicating.

Cox wizbanghorse.com

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Brookledge
    Sallee
    Creech
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

http://competitionequinetransport.com/

LOVE this guy. Very reasonable rates, great communication. He hauled my horse from IL to CA. I know he goes all over and routinely takes horses to NY and the east coast. He had a trailer of racehorses going to Wisconsin and Indiana when he picked my guy up on the way back.

He had no problem and didn't charge extra for giving supplements that I provided, and was able to fit three bales of hay on for me plus a tack box.
    Last edited by runNjump86; Mar. 23, 2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: more info

Thank you so much for all of your comments! Please keep them coming! I had not thought about asking about subs doing the runs. That is definitely something I will ask about because that would not be a good thing. We were told that if using EE, she would go from Austin to Dallas on a Monday and then leave there Tueaday am and be in NC, sometime on Wednesday. I specifically asked about the SC to CO issue and was told they don't have loads going to CO as often as to the East Coast. Not sure about that....... I would think there would be a lot of "movement" across the country at the moment due to a lot of the winter circuits ending about now. Brookledge is more expensive, particularly originating in Texas. They would overnight her one night in Lexington, Ky. That would be a good "half-way" point. We have used them before and been very happy with them. I had forgotten about Sallee and Creech. We used a local hauler that we love when they went out to Tx, but he doesn't have anything going that way at the moment. Last time, he had to go out to pick up something and just happened to be going out empty. Of course, fuel has gone up and as we all know - things change minute to minute.........

Do any of you know what precautions these haulers take in being sure that a virus or something else isn't transferred from one horse to the next in these stalls? Obviously you have to have a coggins and health papers, but didn't know what else they do to ensure safety for all. Just a thought...........

Your time table with EE sounds a lot better than what I was quoted from VA to CO...they were going to take 2-3 days to get to TX, spend 2-3 days there, and then another 2-3 days to CO. That was waaaaay too much time on the trailer and in a holding pen for me.

A friend told me she knows several horses who have contracted shipping fever while transporting with Nationwide. It's not a communicable disease, but I think they are substantially cheaper because they take longer driving around picking up horses for a full load. They also require a deposit, which made me nervous.

I decided on Brook Ledge (Sallee told me they don't go west of the Mississippi), which is insanely expensive. My mare is set to ship in two weeks; I can let you know how it goes! It's a pretty agonizing and stressful process, but I'm hoping that by paying a little extra for a company with a really great reputation will mean my horse isn't as stressed by the shipment as I am.