The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grand Prix breeches? Fit/quality

I came across these online (Grand Prix Vegas breeches) at a few sites and was curious about them - if anyone has them, how is the quality? Also, how do they fit? TS tend to be too small for my waist and then HUGE in the hips (not to mention too short even in the longs), and Ariats are better but seem to stretch out halfway through my ride.

Thanks in advance!

I have a couple pairs of their breeches, and like them well enough. They fit my curvy self well. I also like many of Ariat's cuts, but haven't ever found a TS that fits.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I love my Tailoreds but I didn't like the GPs I bought a while back off TOTD. They fit me fine the first ride, a little stiff and uncomfortable, but the second ride they ripped in the crotch. It could have been due to the fact that I dyed them a nicer color and maybe the chemicals in the dye didn't take well, but I was not impressed and won't buy another pair again.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

I loved them the first ride, then they shrank in the wash. Perhaps if i bought them a size too big and then I would like them, but as of now im kinda upset i spent 100 bucks on a pair of pants I wore to one clinic. hopefully i will be able to consign them and not lose too much.

when I first got them, they fit similar to my ts breeches, so if you dont like those, you probably wont like these.

I love my Grand Prix breeches. I have the Hampton II in four different colors at this point. I've never found a pair of TS breeches that would fit me, some Ariats are okay, but not all of them. I always wash them on cold and hang to dry, so no problem with them shrinking. They do look wrinkled after they're washed, but as soon as I put them on the wrinkles go away. I have smaller hips and they're not big there.

I love my GP breeches. I do find that the Hampton and the Vegas fit slightly differently though. The Hamptons seem to be cut more generously in the hips, with the Vegas cut slimmer. The only pair of Vegas breeches I have are the winter fabric though, so maybe the regular ones are different. I take the same size in GP as I do in Tailoreds. Just for comparison, the TS schoolers are a bit tight in the waist on me but good in the hips, while the GP Hamptons are better in the waist due to the elastic waistband.

I would say that if the TS schoolers are too tight in the waist, you should be good with the GPs since I have the same problem and the GP fit me better.

I've had 3 or 4 pairs for a few years now and only now are they getting threadbare in the crotch/ inner thigh area, and they get worn frequently. I had a pair accidentally go in the dryer and they came out ok. They do stretch out so they require a belt, but not so horribly they can't be worn a couple times before getting washed.
    friend of bar.ka

I have not been happy with my Grand Prix breeches, they wear out very fast. They look nice for about three months and then deteriorate very quickly. They don't last long enough to spend $100, I switched to buying lightly used Ariat Pro breeches on eBay for the same price and having them last for years.

Mine were very comfy and fit well but fell apart almost immediately. Not worth $100 in my mind. My TS's have held up much better. I was very dissappointed in the quality
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

I bought two pairs and I would not buy them again. The first pair got a hole in the leg within a few rides and also something happened to the butt. The part by the seam stretched out a lot and it is REALLY saggy. So bad that I will no longer wear them. The other pair is brown and has faded a lot. They dont have any holes or a saggy butt (same size).
    I also bought them at the same time and they're the same model.

I have a couple of pairs... not bad, not great.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I personally like mine, I like the wide elastic band and mine have held up great! I may have thrown mine in the dryer so they are a bit more snug but I have overall been pleased with them (I have the Vegas, I believe)

I had a pair....not my favorite. After washing, they were always so wrinkly and just didn't look tidy. The knee patches also seemed really stiff.

For sizing comparison: I was the same size in the GP as I am in TS. The TS was a bit more snug in the waist than the GP, but otherwise the fit was similar. I always needed a belt with them because the elastic waistband would fall down.

If you can afford them, I highly suggest Pikeur (Ciara or Victory models). Super quality and great fit. I order them from Amira in the UK and they are much cheaper than ordering from a US tack store. If you are built very straight, with not much hip, they should fit well-- this is how I am built and I love them!

Wow. I can't believe how many of you had yours fall apart. I had mine for a little more than 3 years and just finally killed them last week. And I do mean killed them.....like wore them for a lot of miles in the saddle and on the ground. Never had a loose stitch, I just wore through the fabric at the crotch (which in all fairness, thanks to "chub rub" happens to every pair of jeans I own, and usually a lot sooner).

I really loved those breeches. I used to call them "magic pants" or my "superwoman suit" because they were actually a size smaller than I should have had (eBay bargain), and yet everything fit and smoothed in there with no visible cottage cheese and better still, NO muffin top. And all the while I could breathe and move totally comfortably. It was amazing. God writing this I think I need to order a replacement pair!

As for a reference in fit, I haven't even owned a pair of new TS, because every time I try them on they aren't horrible, but I don't get that gotta have feeling either. Ariats are hit and miss....right now I have some Olympias I like pretty well.